Topic

Cold oatmeal replacement for quick breakfast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Cold oatmeal replacement for quick breakfast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Sorry if covered already but on smartphone right now. What cereal is the best oatmeal replacement if not looking to heat up breakfast? Grape nuts" brand comes to mind but buying from bulk bins from a WF would be best as not to play with packaging. Time saved packing up and facing the heat of the day is the reason for this btw.

(Note: I will be taking a stove for hot dinner as bugs dive-bombed my cold dinners from last trips like diver bombers, so ideally it could be cooked in an emergency)

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Forget dry cereal; try the PROBAR Meal Bars.
    Several flavors
    3 ounces packs 360 calories
    2 of these as you're packing up or walking out of camp = 720 calories. No cereal can match that.

http://theprobar.com/product/oatmeal-raisin/

For on-trail snacks, look at the PROBAR Fuel bars – blueberry, cherry, strawberry, and cran-raspberry.

Also available – PROBAR Core = 20 gm of protein each

Also available – PROBAR Bolt – organic energy chews

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Not available in a WF bin, but Quaker Granola cereal is 'da bomb.

Lots of calories and tastes great.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I do well with a good granola, eaten with water. I used to add in powdered milk, but have since stopped.

I take two versions, one with lots of nuts, and one with lots of dried fruit. I can get about 400 calories into a Zipliock "Snack" bag. I eat out of the bag as I'm packing up.

The crunch is a welcome change from the texture of bars. The "variety" is minimal, but sufficient.

YMMV

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Honestly? I've eaten many a bagel with nut or seed butter on them ;-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm a fan of 'purely elizabeth' granola, add some extra nuts/fruits if needed, when eating dry.

Also a fan of Superfood oat-based cereal, but you'd have to repackage as they come in these paper cups, when eating wet.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

I agree with Bob–I'm a big fan of the Probars.

Tasty, and nothing to clean up either, which wins big points in my book.

Before I get out of my quilt (well, technically, after I get out of my quilt, go get the bear can, then climb back in my quilt), I eat a protein bar, a Hammer Gel, and a Payday. Then I pack up and hit the trail, and stop in 3-5 miles for a bigger breakfast. This way, when I do take my breakfast break, it serves two purposes: to give me a break from hiking, and to eat.

I found the same thing that you are finding–when I start with a big breakfast, it takes me too long to get out of camp.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Dunno about straight cold oatmeal – maybe a bit boring, but look up 'muesli'. Oatmeal plus dried fruits plus nuts plus …
    I am typing this while eating my breakfast muelsi with yoghurt and chopped fruit.

Cheers

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Thanks. Should have been clearer about nutritionally taking the place of oatmeal (mostly the cardio bennies) … or some Frosted Flakes (they're grrrrrreat!) would suffice. Actually staying away from bagels as those were my lunch in 85 degree heat on my last backpack – the cinnamon raisin does work with a sweetish imperial stout though ( they're grrrrrreat!)

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

I have been, and will be using this summer for about 2/3 of my breakfasts. I never feel hungry in the morning and these will encourage me a bit where I need to get more energy into me:

https://bigsurbar.com/

They have a sweetened oatmeal base with nuts and depending on the version dates, or chocolate chips. They make a good no-cook breakfast of 600 cal. They are a bit expensive, about the same per cal as an energy bar, but much more tasty. They had them at my local whole foods type grocery, and I ordered a couple dozen directly. Fast delivery even though it is a small company. The original flavor, BTW, one has the all-important chocolate! :-) The date ones are also good.

Anyway, another mostly oatmeal idea you could try to break things up.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I eat rolled oats for breakfast at home. At home I soak them overnight then add a little milk in the morning and chuck it in the microwave for a minute. No sugar or other additives, just the milk.

Like Greg, out bush I have them cold with no milk. I also soak them overnight. When I fist did this I added powdered milk, but its a gluggy way to do it unless you are heating it up and/or using a fair bit of excess water. Makes cleaning up hard (this is the same adding it the night before or in the morning). So now I just have simple cold water oats.

After you eat them for a while at home, going to cold water oats in the field is not an issue whatsoever.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

If you like oatmeal and don't want to cook, cold oatmeal is great, without the fuss of soaking overnight.

You can buy the individually sealed packets. They come in a variety of flavors and with instant dry milk added it's just like eating it cold at home if anyone's done that.

You can also use plain oatmeal (the instant type) and add whatever flavoring you want.

I grew up eating it cold like this in the summer months.

Try it at home. Just put whatever flavor oatmeal you want into a bowl, add milk and eat. It's not much different than eating Cheerois with fruit or whatever you'd like.

In camp, put some instant milk (not powdered milk) into your eating container, add water and stir. Add a little more instant milk powder until it tastes like milk and add your oatmeal contents from the package. Stir and eat. No soaking necessary. I do this sometimes for breakfasts on the trail.

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

I normally vacuum seal my food in bulk but occasionally use snap lock bags.

Breakfast consists of 1 cup of toasted muesli (something with heaps of energy) and 1/4 cup of full cream milk powder. I cut the top off the packet and add cold water, mix and eat while sitting upright but warm under my quilt in the tent.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Granola bars would be my first no-cook breakfast. But then you would find me with no coffee, which would add to the legends of evil transformation beasts.

+1 on bagels early in the trip. Add Laughing Cow cheese or peanut butter and jam. Pilot bread or hardtack too. Gorp works, which is really a loose granola bar, IMHO. Dried fruit, berries, nuts, etc.

You can get packaged cooked bacon too :)

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

We've always liked Alpen Muesli:

http://www.amazon.com/Alpen-Natural-Muesli-Cereal-Original/dp/B0046HJVMQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405010729&sr=8-3&keywords=muesli+alpen

Otherwise any of the better granola bars, or home-made versions thereof.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

During the summer months I'm not in need of a hot breakfast, and I'm also not inclined to an extra cleanup chore after cold oatmeal. So I rely on the oft voted favorite: Bear Valley Pemmican bars (they're not really pemmican in the commonly understood sense, as they have no meat, but they are a complete protein and pack 400 – 440 calories depending on the bar, and one of the ingredients happens to be oats, if that's what you like. The flavors are carob-cocao (my favorite), fruit 'n nut, & coconut almond. These bars are very dense, leaving one with a quite full, satisfied feeling.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Quaker makes a version called Quick Oats. It's in the same type of container that their regular oatmeal comes in. You don't have to cook it or soak it. Just add milk. I like it cold.

If you don't have milk, add some Nido powdered milk and various flavorings to it. My 'go to' mix is cinnamon, chocolate chips and almond slivers. Just mix that up in a Ziplock bag, add a bit of water and it's ready to eat.

Put whatever you like in there. It's quick, easy, cheap, nutritious and tastes good (at least to me).

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Granola bars would be my first no-cook breakfast"

+1

If you cook up oatmeal, add raisins or craisins, nuts, and some brown sugar or honey, AND THEN DRIED IT OUT (to save weight), you'd basically have an oatmeal cookie.

So bring oatmeal cookies for breakfast and bring that much less fuel (or go entirely no-cook). My many reason for doing that is because sitting around a stove for 4-10 minutes waiting for water to boil and then waiting longer for the oatmeal to cook/saturate makes me colder than if I just start hiking. Cookies, I can eat as a I hike.

And, if you can't even manage to bake cookies in advance, these are pretty tasty:TJ cookies

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 on cookies for breakfast. I miss those heavy, delicious oatmeal cookies from Dudley's Bakery in Santa Ysabel.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I do cold cereal with powdered milk in a ziplock bag. have whatever variety you normally like. small flake or O's type hold up better than cornflake types. Granola would be good too.

poptarts for a walking breakfast is good too.. thru hike staple. 400cal per packet of 2. 3.3oz

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools