Topic

secrets out…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Ha, so planning a 10 day backpacking trip with my girlfriend this summer. She asked if I had a list of what I bring…(duh). I showed her my list, which included all my weights. Secrets out about my OCD….quoted by her "you weigh your car key??!?" ANYWAY…after seeing a glimpse into my crazy side she still wants to date me (weird). BUT…the good news, I convinced her that we should make a list of all her backpacking gear and get everything weighed out :)

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

My girlfriend recently posted a pic of a nice campsite scene that had a pack and tent in it on my facebook, saying it made her think of me when she saw it, "…but I know the tent weighs too much, and the pack is all wrong."
    Well, duh! :)

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

How can you still be dating if she's your girlfriend? When does the dating part stop?

Anyway, she sounds like a keeper when she can accept ultra nerdiness ;-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"How can you still be dating if she's your girlfriend? When does the dating part stop? "
    Dating stops when they get engaged, if they do. Possible to date for 40 years.

Americans… you know.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Sounds like you're stoked with your woman there, Dan.

My wife has gone with me and didn't complain. She didn't prefer it but is willing to go again at some point.

Now, my oldest daughter on the other hand, is addicted. She gets all giggly when we are planning things out. I texted her a pic of the food I had prepped and she showed it off to others.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You can go on date with wife

Women dig it when you say "it's a date". Makes them feel special or something.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Americans are funny :-)

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

25 yrs married and 30 yrs together this year and the wife and I still enjoy spending all our free time together. We have done everything from trail riding MX bikes to sailing boats to backpacking together. Traveling all around the country enjoying the outdoors and seeing all the wonderful critters that we have seen is simply the best imaginable way I can think to spend my time. I see so many outdoor enthusiasts that go solo because the wife won't tag along. I can't imagine what that's like.

Nice thing is we have pretty much the same levels of endurance so we are able to hike our own hike and be together as well. Even if I could do 20 miles a day I would rather do less with the my wife.

So when you find someone who enjoys all your favorite things and puts up with the OCD, don't let her go. That's the making of a very happy life.

jimmyb

PS – someone show this to my wife. To many brownie points here to go to waste.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Dating stops when they get engaged"

So do the massages

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

After 46 years of marriage (this June 22) I finally read about this amazing discovery.

Scientists have found the substance that makes women "less romantic" when they are married.

It's called wedding cake ;o)

BTW, my wife only does Credit Card Camping. Best Western is one of her favorite campsites.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Gentlemen, take note. Forty-Two years of marriage have proven the wisdom espoused. I don't care HOW heavy it is, my backpack ALWAYS contains dark chocolate when my wife hikes with me. It is the only repellent for the "BFH" aka the Bitch From Hell (although tonic and lime sometimes makes a decent substitute).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I like marriage so much I've done it twice! (So far…..)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I'm just monitoring this thread from a safe distance waiting for the women to weigh in,….. that should be interesting
    billy

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Dan, I feel your pain.

GF: "Can we have s'mores?"
    Will: [longer than is altogether natural pause]
    GF: "Oh, right, because that would be like TWO OUNCES of marshmallows."
    Will: [quietly] It's actually the chocolate that would weigh the most, I think"
    GF: [leaves room]

I have since stopped saying dumbass things.

Perhaps there is a "Post your SO's responses to ULness (leaving aside gear spending reactions)" thread in the offing?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm just monitoring this thread from a safe distance waiting for the women to weigh in,….. that should be interesting"

The silence is growing more ominous with every succeeding male post.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The silence is growing more ominous with every succeeding male post."

For awhile i was just hearing silence which certainly was ominous, but after awhile, just barely in the background i thought i heard something… something eerily and disturbingly similar to the Jaws duhn duhn duhn duhn theme music.

Someone male, please hold me, i'm scared. Preferably you Jim, because i think so far you're the only one who will escape the terror to come, by association i may be left unscathed as well…

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

The silence is growing more ominous with every succeeding male post.

That be called "the calm before the storm" …. be frightened my friend, be very frightened;-)

Linda Alvarez
    BPL Member

@liniac

Locale: Southern California

My husband is a surfer and loves the outdoors. Before we got married he would do week long surf trips in Mexico regularly. I thought getting him into the backcountry with me would be a slam dunk. When we got engaged we even registered at REI for our wedding! Well, he went on exactly one trip, for one night with me. I think he figured that fulfilled his lifetime backpacking obligation contract to me :). We still call this the "big bait and switch."

He still surfs and loves the outdoors (as long as there is an ocean in spitting distance), but could not care less about backpacking and happily sends me off on trips with my friends. Happily except he REALLY hates my gear obsession. He regularly curses my eleventy boxes of camping and backpacking "crap" that is filling up "his" garage. He rolls his eyes every time my scale comes out, or I'm caught updating "the spreadsheet." and cannot fathom why one would need more than one sleeping bag or stove. "Because, this one is for summer trips, and that one…" "Nevermind, I realize I don't care…" I admit it, sometimes I have found myself sneaking gear into the house rather than listen to the snarking….

But it's all good–someone needs to stay home and watch the kids!

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

"GF: "Oh, right, because that would be like TWO OUNCES of marshmallows."
    Will: [quietly] It's actually the chocolate that would weigh the most, I think""

Maybe you should regard chocolate weight as the equivalent of whisky weight?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

So no kidding… a couple days before Father's Day, my wife calls me up and starts reading me the riot act before I can get a word in.

"I'm at REI and I HATE shopping for you because you're SO particular! I'm trying to buy you a hat for hiking but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm looking at a goretex one."

"Are you looking at the hats right now?"

"Yes"

"OK the one I want is called a Tilley Hat. It's right in the middle at the very top. They only have two left and unfortunately neither one is my size."

"Ugh!" (click)

I received a really nice Columbia fishing shirt for Father's Day this year.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

"25 yrs married and 30 yrs together this year and the wife and I still enjoy spending all our free time together. "

Same here except 33 years married and 41 years together. I've been hiking/backpacking without her just a few times, in each case she wanted to go but couldn't for some reason. Hiking together is an essential part of the experience, I have little desire to go alone or just with friends. Our next big backpacking trip will either be to the PCT in Washington, the Grand Canyon, Denali or Colorado. And one day we're going hiking/backpacing in New Zealand.

Similar remarks for my kids, all grown up now When they were young vacations without them seemed like they would feel empty, so we always went as a family (including 14 days on the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier).

On the other hand, many of our friends relished the opposite.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Good going Elliot. Here's wishing you both many more years!

jimmyb

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I was sort of hiding my gear OCD from my wife, but not all that well. But when I started just carrying all our gear on the backpacking trips we took together, she quit complaining. She is not just grateful she does not have to carry anything and amazed that my pack still weighs so little with gear for both of us.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools