Topic

Hiking 5,000 miles to raise money for the trail associations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Hiking 5,000 miles to raise money for the trail associations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

I simultaneously got tired of working and tired of people raising money for charity by hiking. So instead of doing either of those, I'll be hiking the AZT, CDT and Te Araroa over the course of about a year to raise money for the AZT Association, CDT Coalition and Te Araroa Trust!

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/fmYf1?psid=b07870a21af146528a1fe83e80dade64&fb_ref=share__c3U9D9

I would really appreciate it if you took a look and donated to help these new trails expand their tread, negotiate passage for hikers through private land and help preserve and maintain the existing trail.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Michael,

I've never met you so I can only assume that you're an honorable man until you prove otherwise. However, you certainly can comprehend how it's difficult to understand why I would donate that money to you and trust that you'll forward the money on to the appropriate organizations when I can just give them the money myself and presumably get the tax benefit as well.

You've only been here a month so may not realize that Kickstarter and similar ventures have a checkered past here at BPL. I have contributed before and will again in the future but…

You've only been here a month and have only invested $5 to a Forum membership (correct me if I'm wrong) and are asking me to take you at your word to invest in this otherwise worthy undertaking. That's a huge leap of faith when compared to a member who's been an active member for years (not me) and has contributed to the operational costs of the forum in that time.

How you or anyone else spends your money or uses this forum is none of my business up to the point where you're asking for my money. Once you start asking for cash, you open yourself up to scrutiny. I'm sure this is coming across pretty harsh, which is not my intention, but I guess I'm suggesting that it wouldn't hurt for you to make a more compelling argument as to why we would filter the money through you.

If you upgrade your membership to Lifetime, I'll gladly donate $20 to your fundraiser.

Good luck with this adventure.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

What is the difference between a "charity" and a "trail association"?

"I hope to change the dialogue about long distance hiking by fundraising for the trails and how important but underfunded the organizations are."

What is "the dialogue about long distance hiking" that needs changing?
    How often will this dialogue take place?
    Who is the audience?

[Edit: I'm not taking pot shots here. I really want to know how this sort of thing works.]

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

So trails are more important than curing cancer?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Here

Donate direct

CDTC

AZTrail

TeAraroa

And my choice for my money

PCTA

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I joined one this year.

Great way to spend time in the wilderness with like minded people.

Maybe joining a crew that maintains the trails you are concerned about would be a way of directly addressing the issues you seem concerned about.

I figured if I'm going to pony up my hard earned dollars, I wanted to get out the shovel and watch them put to use.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools