Topic

What is everyone’s favorite UL solo, three-season shelter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is everyone’s favorite UL solo, three-season shelter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

VQ:

Here's a recent video of the Duplex in a heavy rain storm on the A.T. (no connection to this person, just a blog I've followed sporadically). I don't know how tall he is, but you can get a good feel for the shelter. Just my opinion, but, for the PNW, I think I'd take the hit on weight for the extra room of the Duplex over the Solplex, especially at your height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXvz2xCb3Do&list=UUiqcdUZJG6qRqCaqfD60wjg

Mountain Shop usually has a few SMD shelters, but I'm not sure if they would have updated ones or if they would set them up. SMD is located off 217 in Beaverton and have been very accommodating to me in the past to come to both their old location (Ron's house) and their new one to pick up a few things. They might be able to show you a Skyscape or a cuben Deschutes tarp.

I've been trying to come up with one shelter system that is my go-to, that I know will work for varied PNW conditions and I've settled on a DuoMid and inner net (which I still need to buy). I'm in Portland if you want to meet up at a park and set up the DuoMid to see if the dimensions will work for you. I don't have an inner net for it yet.

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

Thanks a lot everyone, you've all been extremely helpful. Shame about what people are saying in regards to my height and the Duomid w/ net. I was pretty set on that but it seems I have to explore some other options to consider now.

Steven, I have some extensive traveling/visiting back home in Australia before I'll be back in Portland for good in January. I would definitely love to come check out the Duomid if you still have it then. Thanks a lot for the offer!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"I really like my tarptent notch but for someone large I would recommend stepping up to a larger shelter. I'm 5'6" and fit well but can't imagine being much taller or larger and being comfortable"

Comfort is obviously subjective but when it comes to tall people the issue often is not so much "comfort" but just being able to fit inside, particularly IF using a thick mat and or a wintersleeping bag .
    The Notch can take a 77"x25" mat so it can't be all that small .
    This is me at 5'8" on top of a 2.5" ( 7cm ) mat.
    Notch inside
    I have more than a foot of space to spare , note also the space above my head and my feet.
    BTW, the Notch fly-only is about 16oz with 4 stakes (I use 6)

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

And it's less $$ than some of the other options mentioned. OP, you should check out the TT web site and also see the different setup options on YouT*be. It is very integrated but can be used as bug net only or tarp only. I'm gonna finally break down and buy one. Had my eye on it for several years. Wish they'd make it in Cuben to save some oz's but then it'd break the bank to buy one I guess. Anyway, horses for courses. Rock on.

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Yeah the Notch looks great, but it's a little too heavy for me. I already have a Tarptent (Stratospire 2), so I need to drop a little more weight to make it worth another shelter.

Another option is the ZPacks Solo Plus tent with extended beak and cuben ground sheet (or Solo Plus tarp and another companies net). This way again I have a separate tarp/and net for added flexibility, it's a little lighter. Not a huge amount of info on this kind of setup though.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'm 6' and length hasn't been an issue (even when side by side w/ my wife and using the inner net), mine is sil- maybe the cuben is cut shorter?????

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

This is very tempting.. except I'd go with the Solo plus tarp.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=84915

I think this or the Duomid or Solomid XL + net are the top contenders. I really like the Duplex but I already have a proper 2 man tent, and I'd rather drop a bit of footprint.

A couple of the bivies mentioned look great but up here in the PNW where it rains a lot I don't want to be stuck inside a tiny bivy for hours.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"maybe the cuben is cut shorter?????" Nope.

What pad do you sleep on Mike? Makes a huge difference. As does shoe size, really.

The Duomid without inner was doable. With the Solomid XL it's better.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I'm using a HMG Ultamid for all purpose 1-2 person 3 season, a hexamid solo plus tarp with beak for long distance solo, or a zpacks 8.5×10 tarp with a MLD cuben bug bivy. But to answer you question, a flat tarp can't be beat in my mind for versatility, hanging out in heavy rain, cooking and can be pitched anywhere, literally. It's all a game time decision based on weather.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Hence why I bring the MLD Patrol Shelter. If it rains I just pitch that..simple, light, plenty of room and ventilation.

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Has anyone here used the Skyscape X?

There isn't a huge amount of information around about this tent. I have read from one or two places it is great in the wind/rain, and that it can handle snow well.. but I'd love to hear from a few more people to confirm that rather than take the word of one or two people.

It seems to be the perfect shelter if what they are saying is true. 16oz + stakes. 3+ season use, 2 walls (less condensation), nice size, smaller footprint than the Duomid which I'm heavily considering.. and more weatherproof than the Hexamid Solo Plus tarp + net which is my other top option.

Any personal experiences people have here would be highly appreciated!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Ken- regular neoair, size 10 shoe size- maybe I'm not 6' tall :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The thickness of the Neoair does eat up a lot of the available length. Especially when pegged to the ground for heavy weather. I was in trouble on a large Neo and size 15 feet had me always touching one end.

stephen billings
    BPL Member

@stephenb

Locale: oregon

Unfortunately this will not help you out, because you cannot get these any more ( unless 2nd hand).

But I use a Golite Hut 1 sil nylon shelter with a light weight either bug or regular bivy depending on conditions. It is a ton of space for one ( 39 square feet) and offers real good protection. I love this shelter for its weight and size. I had a Golite SL 1 and a 2, and like this Hut 1 much better for solo use. It could easily fit 2 in a pinch.

Can handle 3 season (probably 4 really ) PNW weather easily.

It weighs 16 oz as it comes from Golite ( w/o stakes)- but I have it done to less than 14 oz. after takes off their hvy nylon pull strap stake loops and replacing them with adjustable light cord.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Any personal experiences people have here would be highly appreciated!"

I'm going into my third Sierra season with the original, one entrance model, and can say with confidence that it is a superb 3 season tent for any area that does not get a lot of precipitation. It is easy to pitch, withstands torrential downpours and wind well, and packs down into a very small package. The only real negative that hasn't been addressed with the newer model is condensation. You will get it on the single skin panel that runs down the top of the tent from the cross strut to the foot of the tent. However, that is easily addressed with a bandana or other water absorbent material. I can't speak to how it stands up to snow, but I suspect it would sag, as the panels are very large compared to the number of tie out points. If I were expecting to encounter significant snow, I would add tie out loops to both front and rear panels on both sides at their midpoints to effectively subdivide the panels for loading purposes. Since the newer model has 2 zippered entrances and places the support poles outside the body of the tent, I can see no real areas for improvement if you buy a new one.

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Thanks a lot Tom. Sounds great. I will be doing the majority of my camping in the PNW/Sierras/Canadian Rockies. That's weird about the condensation, I've heard that this tent was especially well breathing and you rarely got condensation due to the breeze that tents to come in from beneath. That said, it doesn't really bother me if it's not going to be touching me and I can easily wipe it off so I can pack it up without it being wet.

Have you ever used a Cuben Duomid? If so, any reasons to go with one over the other?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Rockin used a cuben Skyscape for her CDT section-hike:

ladyonarock.wordpress.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

"That's weird about the condensation, I've heard that this tent was especially well breathing and you rarely got condensation due to the breeze that tents to come in from beneath."

As tents go, it does breathe well, but camp location , temperature, whether or not you have the netting and tent skin zipped up will determine whether or not you get condensation. I have never found it to be a major hassle. For the locations you hike in, I think it would work well, especially the Sierra. The more ambient moisture, the more condensation, so as you get into the Cascades and Rockies, you will likely have more condensation. With any tent.

I have no experience with the Duomid, so I can't make a comparison.

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Thanks again Tom, appreciated.

Also thanks Steven for the link.

Chris Mescia
    BPL Member

@cmescia

What about the notch did you not like with the rain? Was it the sag of the silnylon? Hard to keep the inside dry? Was contemplating getting a notch…

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools