Topic

Alarm Clock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alarm Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For a number of years, I've been using a small digital alarm clock for backpacking, it weighs only 1.2 ounces, and it was loud enough to wake me up. I attach it to the front pole on my shelter. That way, it was within a foot or so from my ears. Alas, the time set control broke.

I do not use a digital wristwatch alarm, because that would be buried deep within my sleeping bag, and I would never hear it.

There are many travel alarm clocks on the market, but most weigh several ounces. Many use a single AA battery, and that makes them weigh more. The lighter ones will use a CR2032 watch battery, and that is lighter.

Any suggestions for one of a similar weight?

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Not sure which gps you use, if any, but my garmin etrex 20 has an alarm clock built in.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

I typically use the alarm on my cell phone, although I could also use the alarm on the GPS or on my watch. Might as well use the phone for something.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Where I go backpacking, typically there is no cell service, so I leave it in the car.

My GPS receivers do not have any alarm clock features.

–B.G.–

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I don't have a specific suggestion, but for something like this I would troll through Amazon, bound to be something of the right size/weight.

Or…you mentioned an alarm on a watch would be buried in your bag, why not take the watch off at night and put that on the pole where you've been putting the clock?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Not exactly what you were looking for as it's a vibrating alarm but they claim it's 2oz including a AAA battery.

http://www.maxiaids.com/products/10142/Reizen-Shake-U-Up–Compact-Vibrating-Alarm-Clock.html

Edit: re read their specs and there's a traditional beeping alarm option.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Hello Bob, I have a Timex Mini Alarm clock that weighs 1.3oz including leather case. 1.1oz without case.

You can have it, no charge, just pay$3.00 shipping. I never used it. Don't know what size battery.

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Timex-Mini-Alarm-Clock-with-Case-/261500891167?pt=US_Clocks&hash=item3ce2aaf01f

Send PM if interested.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Slight drift ….

I always wear a hat when I sleep in the woods. I cut a small slit in the double layer band at the bottom, and insert a Casio watch body.

I don't notice the watch when I sleep, until the alarm goes off, against my head.

…end drift.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

After a hard day on the trail, sometimes I sleep so soundly that it requires a titanium hammer banging on my skull to wake me up.

I already scoured Amazon. Two ounces is the lowest that I've found so far. Plus, sometimes they quote the weight with the battery, sometimes without the battery, sometimes with the shipping package, and sometimes they just guess.

Compactness is nice, as well. My old one, the one that broke, is about the size of three wristwatch cases laid out end to end.

–B.G.–

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

You could always try this:

"Drinking multiple glasses of water before going to sleep, to help ensure you wake up early due to the need to pee. (Allegedly a technique used by the Apache during the Apache Wars to wake up for pre-dawn raids.)"

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

However, I was fitted with overflow tanks at an early age, so I don't know if this will work.

–B.G.–

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use the alarm on my wristwatch, I just don't wear it on my arm at night. I hang it on a little clip on the tent ceiling so it's about a foot above my face.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I purchased a new digital alarm wristwatch for this purpose, and its alarm is not as loud as the old one.

It is incredible how many digital watches and clocks are advertised, and nobody bothers to write down the alarm loudness in decibels. Horrors!

–B.G.–

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

Define broke, maybe it's repairable?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

There is one control which sets time, alarm time, and some other things. It is non-functional, so the time cannot be set. There is no external access to the control, so I think it has become an ultralightweight paperweight.

–B.G.–

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Watch or water always works for me, then again I'm an Indian.

You could always find an Apache hiking buddy and have him drink the water for you……?

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Are you against wearing a wrist watch? Or just don't think you would hear it buried in your sleeping bag? Just wear one during the day and take it off when you sleep so you can place it next to your head…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^^^

"…and it was loud enough to wake me up. I attach it to the front pole on my shelter. That way, it was within a foot or so from my ears."

"I purchased a new digital alarm wristwatch for this purpose, and its alarm is not as loud as the old one."

hwc 1954

@wcollings

If you can deal with setting it in a different way, the Thermoworks TimeStick would suit your purpose. It's designed as a cooking timer, so you set it to go off in "x" hours and "x" minutes. Instead of setting it to go off at 7am, you would set it to go off in 7 hours and 45 minutes (or whatever). It has the timer function and a clock function. The alarm has variable volume so you can make it louder or softer. It beeps for 60 seconds. After that, it beeps for 5 seconds every 30 seconds until you cancel the timer.

It weighs 1.7 ounces without the lanyard. 1.8 ounces with the detachable lanyard. Some of that weight is a refrigerator magnet glued into the back of it, which could probably be pried out if you really wanted to pare weight. I like the magnet (mine lives on the refrigerator door), so I'm not willing to sacrifice it to give you a weight savings! It runs on one large CR2032 watch battery.

It's splash-proof. You wouldn't want to swim with it, but a little rain or splashing would be fine.

Thermoworks Timestick

When not camping, it makes the world's best timer for steaks on the grill, because you can put the damn thing around your neck, unlike normal kitchen timers that are always beeping inside when I'm outside or outside when I'm inside! I took mine car camping last week, using it to (go figure) time a rib eye steak.

This company makes high quality products. Nicer than the typical cheap plastic Chinese timers and similar gadgets.

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

Bob,
    Post a pic or just send it to me. If it's fixable-I can do it.
    Your pm isn't set up…all it'll cost you is postage.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

There are two candidates right now. One is a Casio digital wristwatch with alarm. I would have to take it off every night.

The other is the Taylor 5862 kitchen timer, which has a louder alarm (about 1.55 ounces with batteries). Even that weight is higher than what I used before.

–B.G.–

Jake S

@spags

"There are two candidates right now. One is a Casio digital wristwatch with alarm. I would have to take it off every night."

This is what I do. I clip it to the mitten clip that hangs above my door.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

First of all, my shelter has no mitten clip, nor does it even have a door. Even if it did, the timer has no ring to clip to it. The timer used to have a big magnet on the back, and that would be good if I had some big ferrous object. Alas, I have no ferrous objects since titanium does not count.

I might have to start with a rubber band to hold it onto the shelter's front pole.

–B.G.–

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"vibrating wrist watch"

For $109.95 … NO THANK YOU.

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools