Topic

First Backpacking Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists First Backpacking Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alex Feng

@splitzen

Locale: Santa Barbara, CA

Just put together my first pack, just under 30 lbs. I just graduated from College, and so I do not have too much money to spend on ultralight gear. I am using the women's Large bag, because it was on clearance at REI, but it fits and is comfortable. (75 liters for ~$100 bucks new) This pack has not been tested yet.

I am 6'5" 200lbs

Suggestions Welcome:
    http://lighterpack.com/r/b5jkei

1 ) Are you SOLO camping, or part of a TEAM?
    SOLO

2 ) WHERE will you be camping?
    Santa Barbara Mountain Range

3 ) What type of WEATHER do you expect?
    Sunny

4 ) How LONG is your proposed trip?
    2 Days

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Alex,
    Most folks find it helpful to separate out consumables (food, water, fuel) from everything else, since the weight of consumables will be changing during the trip, and will also vary depending on length of trip. Subtracting food, water, and fuel it looks like the 'base weight' of what you have listed is about 20#, rather than 28#.

Except there's a lot of things missing from your list. No packed clothing, for example, which should include rain gear, some sort of insulation layer, and prob. a number of other things. Based on the rest of your list, it would be surprising if this is less than 2#.

You will also need some way of carrying water, and some way to treat it. And don't forget a first aid kit, and the other 'ten essentials'.

Taken all together, this means your actual base weight prob. *will* be close to 28#.

Your bag, pad, and tent *are* heavy, but could be manageable to get started IF you are careful about leaving out anything non-essential. That definitely means ditching the 3# axe.

In the meantime, keep poking around this site. There are a lot of ways to get a nice light pack (which makes hiking much more comfortable and enjoyable, in my experience) *without* spending a whole lot of money.

>edited for typos

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Alex Feng

@splitzen

Thanks for your input!

I modified my list to bunch the consumables together. I also reweighed my gear (not using advertised weight on anything). In addition, I added the Platypus 2 liter bag for water and weighed the food individually. I also added my proposed trip to my original post.

I got it down to 17.69# base weight, but I am still missing clothes

How does it look now?

kristen buckland
    Spectator

@buckie06

Locale: Colorado

The tent footprint is an immediate 10oz you don't need. If you feel you need a footprint there are a lot of lighter materials you can use to make your own.

Does the Osprey pack have a detachable lid you can remove?

What about a pack liner or trash bag liner to keep your things dry?

Are you bringing breakfast, snacks, lunch, etc besides just the two MH meals?

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Much easier to read now, Alex–thanks.

If it were me, I'd get rid of the tent footprint (the floor of that tent should be durable enough without it). And for a two day solo trip, you won't come close to needing two gas canisters. Leaving the footprint and one of the gas canisters out saves you another pound.

If you look at the lists some members have posted with their profiles, that might help with other stuff you're still missing. First Aid kit (FAK) is important, but can be very light, while still having everything you need. A good map of the area you're hiking, plus compass and the ability to use both is also important. Sunglasses and sunscreen. Rain gear (even if you don't think it will rain). Backup firestarter.

What is available water like in the mountains were you'll be? Water treatment is a constant discussion around here, but there's a least two lightweight, effective, and inexpensive options available.

What are the lowest expected temperatures (day or night)? That will suggest how much of an insulation layer you need.

For the future, will you usually hike solo? Can you replace your two-person tent with a solo shelter? That could save some serious weight.

You will prob. need more food than just two dehydrated meals. Also, there are much cheaper (and tastier) options than the official "backpacker" meals REI sells.

edit: clarity.

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

For some reason I can't see your list. I assume you mean the Santa Ynez range. For 2 days there, I'd say ditch the tent if the forecast calls for decent weather and just take a sheet of polycryo for ground cover ($8 at Home Depot).

Alex Feng

@splitzen

http://lighterpack.com/r/b5jkei

Try this link, I would sleep with only a bottom sheet, but I prefer protection from mosquitos. I went to Lake Cachuma earlier this week, and got bit a few times.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

If you can guarantee good weather for a couple days, but still need bug protection, leave the rainfly and just take the mesh tent body. That should save at least a pound. Disclaimer: I don't know the area where you intend to hike at all–no idea if weather there is that predicable.

Prob. be good to nail down all the "other stuff" still missing from your list. That stuff has a way of multiplying and become a significant chunk of the load on your back when left to the last minute.

Doug Green
    BPL Member

@dougpgreen

Locale: North Carolina Piedmont

Your second pass is much better. As others noted check out other lists for things you are missing. First aid (make your own), cordage for bear hangs, etc. Clothing will be the heaviest addition. Obviously the biggest places for improvement are your tent, sleeping bag, and pack, but those can also be expensive to replace. The gear swap forum and ebay are your friends. For example, my main solo tent is a 27 ounce tarptent notch, but I was looking for a loaner (I have a 2 man but hate sharing tents) and I just picked up an almost new sub 3 pound REI quarter dome t1 off ebay for $79. Something like that would cut your tent weight by 3 pounds. Your sleeping bag is not bad for cool weather (without spending a lot), but for summer where temps won't get below 50 check out the 22 ounce 32 degree down bag from walmart or the Marmot Nanowave 45 or 55 (1 lb 13 oz and 1 lb 6 ounces respectively) which can be had online for around $60 and would drop a pound or more. As far as the pack…they also come up a lot on gear swap. That is one place I would not recommend compromise…carrying less weight in a pack that doesn't fit you is like getting a great deal on an expensive pair of shoes that is two sizes small. Look for a good deal but ONLY if it is the right size.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools