Topic

Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2 Sleeping Bag Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Article states that the Zpacks bag does not have a zipper baffle, but it does indeed have one.

billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

correction, the Zpacks zipper baffle is an option at time of ordering..

billy

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

""""The hoodless PHD Minim 400 will be available soon with 900 EU (936 US) fill-power down."""

"""Both the PHD and ZPacks bags are hoodless, """""

I din´t notice that phd had hodless bags in his range…. thank you for the info ;-)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/phd_minim_400_sleeping_bag_review.html#.U5gEWHaJnFY

Maybe including "loft" measures in the comparison chart would be interesting …

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Glad to see Will has not lost his touch. Excellent review.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

PHD are making a hoodless bag? How bizarre.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It's the beard that does it, sticking out of the opening …

Cheers

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Good looking sleeping bag.

12 oz of down seems a little low for a 24 oz bag weight. The down shifting makes me think it is barely enough down to fill the bag.

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

I've always wondered, are the baffles through-stitched or do they use box-construction with a divider between the inner and outer fabric? The stitching looks very pronounced for box construction.

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Will and BPL,

I'm very surprised to find that you omitted what is arguably the best and lightest sleeping bag of the bunch – Enlightened Equipment's Enigma Pro. I own the Enigma, Zpacks and Montbell bags and can without a doubt say the EE and Zpacks are easily at the top of the list for warmth comfort and weight. EE bags inches to the top, however – fantastic design a super compressible. I would like to see more attention being paid to cottage makers on this site as they have by far the best gear for what a lot of people on BPL are looking for.

I think many others will agree with me on the above. There is no hood, but that's where a light down/synthetic hat can serve a double purpose for hiking, camp and sleeping.

Gary

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Hi Gary, Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been in MT for a week. I did check Enlightened Equipment, and Katabatic Gear too, and all I found was QUILTS. I didn't think it would be appropriate to compare mummy bags with quilts, so I kept the comparison to comparable products. Perhaps the hoodless bags should have been left out. Some of the bags are made by cottage industries. Will

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I think keeping them in separate categories is important. People who know they like quilts will shop for quilts and those of us who know we want a bag/hood want to see them compared apples to apples.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools