Topic

Anyone order a Ghost Whisperer from a small company lately?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone order a Ghost Whisperer from a small company lately?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Locale: Central Sierra Nevada's

I know MH is owned by Columbia….I know we pay for big business all the time and I own products made by Nunatak, EE, etc. Unfortunately, this jacket is not for me.

My brother wants one and as a wedding present I was going to get him one. Rather than order directly from MH or Moosejaw (unless someone has a link to a great deal), I was wondering if a smaller company you might have been dealing with or local mom and pop in your area is selling them. I'd gladly order from them to support small businesses. I realize they didn't make the jacket but they certainly benefit from the retail mark up. I'd rather give them my money.

He's a size XL and likes color…he's not a fan of black or grey.

Thanks if anyone has a tip on this one.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Summit Hut is a locally-owned business in Tucson, AZ. They support lots of local environmental and kid's wilderness programs, and they bring in fun speakers and other entertainment (like sponsoring the Banff Mountain Film Fest every year). Their main competition locally is REI (which opened a few years ago in Tucson).

They have the jacket, in many colors/sizes. Here's a link:

http://www.summithut.com/products/mens-ghost-whisperer-hooded-down-jacket/

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

+1 to Summit Hut. Great experience with them in the past.

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Thank You…I will take a look at their site and your response is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Great input…

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US
    afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Owen…thanks for the link….I'm not familiar with the camp saver business model. Are they an internet based business or a local shop with an internet presence?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I believe that Campsaver WAS a "local business" when it started, but now it is a major on-line outdoor retailer, and I can't find any links to non-profits/enviro groups that it supports. BUT, Campsaver will likely have lower pricing (which I think is why someone referred you to them…).

On the other hand, here is a link to Summit Hut's community service info:
    http://www.summithut.com/pages/community-outreach/

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Internet, as far as I know, but you said if anyone has a link to a great deal…

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Moontrail.com is a small san antonio company and they are awesome.

They actually have them on sale right now for only 229!

http://www.moontrail.com/home.php?cat=489&manufacturerid=40&flag=ok

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

no your info is great Owen…thank you for the link! Just wondering who they might be…

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Another great link Jennifer. Thank you as well for the quick background on them.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Moontrail is a great company. I've never seen a site go through so much detail with photos, specs, etc. They were also the only store that swapped hipbelts on an Osprey pack for me.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Great experiences with both. Can't go wrong either way.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+2

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools