Topic

particulate filter during chemical purification?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) particulate filter during chemical purification?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> The new UV Aquastar mUV is designed to use in this way, and in my experience works fine with narrow mouth Platys and various plastic water and drink bottles.

That worries me. The amount of water in proximity to the UV lamp sounds very small. I don't think I would risk it. (I use a pot.)

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Ben,
    I finally got back to that Platypus filter. Well, it's a great filter in the sense that not much will get through…unfortunately, that seems to include water.

I tried it out in my sink with clean tap water. The screen is so fine and is relatively small (~1/2" diam), that it takes pretty long for the water to pass through. I tried tapping the screen to dislodge bubbles, and speed the process, but it was still slow (too slow for me to feel like measuring it).

It would probably work fairly well with a foot or two of head pressure, but I'm thinking that I'd probably want it most when the water level is low.

Tom

Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools