Topic

Bivy Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'm planning on tarping on my next trip and am looking for bivy suggestions for fouler weather. I tend to roll some during the night and 99% of the time wind up sleeping on my stomach. I don't want anything really heavy and price isn't that big of an issue for me. Any help is appreciated.

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Locale: Southern California

I really like Pertex Quantum bags. I have two that I got from Oware. I think at some point Oware was making a few prototypes for BPL because the bivy's I bought from Oware had BPL logos sewn inside, and sold to me as "seconds" at a discounted price. One has Pertex Quantum on the top and bottom, and the other has a Pertex Quantum top and a spin bottom. Each also came with a removable bug netting that zips into the top opening. I figure the BMW VAPR's are about the same.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I think you should try your tarp out without a bivy and then decide. Try not to overthink your gear simple is best IMO.

Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

Just in case you have not seen these, here are two companies you might want to check out:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=e757e7f2ee6be2c76886f582067cc2cf

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html

I've narrowed it down to those; both seem to get pretty positive reviews (check the reader reviews if you have not already). The Tigoat does not have as many features as the MLD products, but they are cheaper in price. Also, the Tigoat has updated their bivy with a newly designed mesh that zips up as opposed to tucks under your bag.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I just spent 2 weeks in a Tigoat large basic bivy on the Tahoe Rim Trail, and it worked well for me.
    I have the old head net, which worked well on the few mosquito evenings we had, but is difficult to get full protection.
    Because I am 6'3", the bivy is just barely big enough for me, and using the DWR hood pulls enough tension through the bivy to compress the loft on my JacksRBetter No Sniveller, so the new headnet design probably wouldn't work for me.
    I can vouch for the 1.1 oz nylon DWR… When I woke up one morning on the trip after a good nights sleep, I found others who had slept out in tents, and rain jackets hung as make-shift tent flies.
    Apparently it had rained for 20 minutes that night, directly on the bivy (my head was protected by a tree), and both me and my down quilt were dry.
    That's really all you can ask from a DWR fabric, I suppose.

That being said, given the funding, I would definitely upgrade to a MLD bivy. You get what you pay for and them Soul bivy's look awful nice.

Steven Bergeron
    Spectator

@theturk-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

> That being said, given the funding, I would definitely upgrade to a MLD bivy. You get what you pay for and them Soul bivy's look awful nice.

What do you feel you get with the MLD bivy that makes it worth the difference in cost?

Just curious,

Steve

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

From what I've read, the MLD with the wide and long options would better fit me than the TiGoat, which isn't quite long enough, and as with most things, I find fit is the most important aspect for most equipment.
    Add the 3-d cut of the bivy, nicer materials, better hood design, and the ti wire hoop, and call it gear lust, but I want one.
    But this is just fantasizing about if I had the money, meanwhile back in reality, the Titanium Goat bivy is a good piece of gear, as long as it fits you.

Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

yeah, exactly what Greyson said ^ :) I would also add they have an eVent foot box that makes it more waterproof and breathable. the MLD also has (IMO) better tie out loops and an overhang loop as well. i guess the tigoat is like a Toyota, not very sexy, but reliable and good MPG. the MLD is your custom Mercedes Benz that comes with a 2 month wait … but that may just be my gear lust speaking 'cause I want one too!

Steven Bergeron
    Spectator

@theturk-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

Greyson,

Thanks for your reply.

The requirement for proper fit makes sense. (I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the number of posts by those who are 6' 3" that say the bivy is not long enough for them, that seems to definitely be a cut off.)

> Add the 3-d cut of the bivy, nicer materials, better hood design, and the ti wire hoop, …

I don't own a bivy yet so I guess I never really really apprecitated the differences (no matter how many times I've read up on them). But those reasons seem pretty clear now.

> But this is just fantasizing about if I had the money, meanwhile back in reality, the Titanium Goat bivy is a good piece of gear, as long as it fits you.

I understand that! (It's far more likely there's a Ti Goat Basic Bivy in my future than one from MLD or BMW.)

Steve

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

http://www.owareusa.com/

Does anybody have experience with this bivy? I'm sure curious about it…

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Ask Ryan J., he ordered a batch of them, maybe for his scouts?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Ah yes, the Mercedez Benz is the Cadillac of cars.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Has anyone used this bivy? It says there is a bug window, but in the pics (on their site) I don't see one.

If anyone has used this bivy, what was the condensation like?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools