Topic

SD Solomente and other single wall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SD Solomente and other single wall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mathieu Fagnan
    Spectator

@mfagnan

I am looking for a solo tent for mountaineering in South America, where wind can be a real problem (50 to 60mph not rare)and snow wall often impossible to built.

Does anybody have real life experience with the new Sierra Designs Solomente. How do you think it will react to strong winds (it’s side wall looks prety vertical). How about condensation?

I have heard that the BD firstlight is not as strong as a Bibler or a Integral. How can we explane this since it’s the same poles and same geometry.

I will also like to ear from people having experienced nasty wheater in a Bibler or Intregral.

I had a Stephenson 2R for a while (used on Logan, Denali and Peru) that I liked (2.75lbs), but condensation management was to much of a pain for real life use and for slowed down brain at high altitude.

Thank’s

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Mathieu-

Not sure about the Solamente- looks like a very intersting new design. The difference between the BD Firstlight and the others you mentioned is fabric; the Black Diamond Superlight tents have Epic walls while the Integral Designs and Bibler models have heavier, more durable fabrics. A review on the Firstlight is here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/black_diamond_firstlight_tent_review.html

Also check out our recent release on Bomber tents- this might help you in your search.

Best of luck-
    Doug Johnson
    Shelter Systems Editor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools