Topic

Sawyer Extractor Snake Bite Kit – Still Relevant?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sawyer Extractor Snake Bite Kit – Still Relevant?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"The North Fork of the North Fork of the American River at about 3600 feet."

Thanks, Larry.

steven franchuk

@surf

"It is quite possible that the greater number of people left a greater amount of food behind increasing the mouse population in the area. Thus increasing the rattle snake population."

I took a river rafting trip down the grand canyon some time ago. The guides did warn us to watch out for snakes at the came sites. They said food attracted rodents and that attracted snakes. Most of the camp sites we had didn't have snakes but one that was previously used had at least 3.

Needless to say we were very careful there. but I think most of the snakes left the area within a couple of hours of arrival. I do believe you are more likely to see snakes near well used camp sites.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Years ago there was supposedly a high population of noisy rattlesnakes in California. Then one year the ranchers and hunters and riders and off-roaders all banded together to eradicate as many rattlesnakes as they could find. They did it.

What did they accomplish?

They managed to kill off a lot of the noisy rattlesnakes, and the quiet ones were still alive and left to interbreed. Supposedly today the rattlesnakes are quiet and sneaky as compared to the old ones.

Let that be a lesson to us all.

–B.G.–

steven franchuk

@surf

"Years ago there was supposedly a high population of noisy rattlesnakes in California. Then one year the ranchers and hunters and riders and off-roaders all banded together to eradicate as many rattlesnakes as they could find. They did it."

That actually happened all over North America. If a settler heard a snake they would shot it and it would be on the dinner plate that night. In one nature show I saw they followed a guy hunting the snakes in the south east. He found a burrow and told the camera crew that sometime you find snake inside He then stuck a well protected hand inside, heard no rattle and moved on. He also stated that it was getting harder to find the snakes. The camera crew stayed behind and put a camera into the hole to see if anything was there. They found a rattle snake. Over the years I have seen about 7 snakes. One one used its rattle.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Delmar,

I also hike in snake country, and grew up in an area where rattlesnakes were common. I've had snake encounters (which left me shaking), though far less frequently than you report. Granted, in my area these are Northern Pacific rattlesnakes, not diamondbacks, and most bites seem to happen in diamondback areas.

And I certainly include myself when I say 'fascination'–posts like yours are a magnet for me, as are accounts of rattlesnake behavior in general (Laurence Klauber's 2 volume 'Rattlesnakes: Their Habits, Life Histories, and Influence on Mankind' is an exhaustive treatment and a good read. Manny Rubio's 'Portrait of a Predator' is also good–beautiful photographs, as well as a few disturbing ones of injuries resulting from snakebite–albeit, not as gruesome as what Hamish posted).

I do think "absurdly unlikely' is accurate, assuming a person takes reasonable precautions. Most snakebite victims are male, and most of them fall in the age-range of the classic post-adolescent risk taker. Alcohol is often involved. Most bites are on the hand or arm, not the legs or feet–i.e., the victims either put their hands where they shouldn't, or were deliberately provoking the snake. Finally, most bites occur close to home, not in the backcountry miles from evac.

I also consider the natural world dispassionate–'indifferent' is usually my word. But snakes aren't the same as thunderstorms. As has been mentioned upthread, they have a vested interest in avoiding big animals like people. And in conserving their venom.

Finally, there is a disturbing and historical relationship between unreasonable fear of the wild and its destruction–as a species, we're pretty good at convincing ourselves that the only predator that deserves to live is us. My grandfather, who introduced me to snake country, killed every rattlesnake he saw on principle. The snake areas I hike, it's not uncommon to see other hikers with firearms at the ready, presumably 'just in case.' Not at all the same as carrying a bite kit, I know, but I'd argue the two attitudes are linked by the same underlying fear.

TKB 1979

@arizona1979

Locale: DESERT SOUTHWEST

"Not at all the same as carrying a bite kit, I know, but I'd argue the two attitudes are linked by the same underlying fear."

Agreed. :)

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

"…as a species, we're pretty good at convincing ourselves that the only predator that deserves to live is us"

Isn't it the truth?

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Continental-Divide-Trail/On-Being-Human

"If the polar bear had the technology to cause massive global freezing, do you think it would care about the thousands of species that would go extinct when the Amazon freezes over? The polar bear species would be glad to pay that environmental price if that meant that it could expand its reach a thousand fold."

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I agree with Delmar.
    I don't see anything wrong or disturbing with discussing snake bite kits. As far as the "underlying fear" I would call it a healthy respect for possible dangers. I have seen dozens of rattlers and while I do not let that stop me from enjoying the outdoors, I am acutely aware of their existence and probably should carry a bite kit.
    It is often because of the careless that culling of predators or other potentially dangerous animals happen.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

These posts have made me remember a few times from my past.

The summer of 88 I spent in the ARMY in Thailand. We were warned about Cobras in the areas we'd be training in. I never saw one, but we heard about 2 deaths from bites while we were out there. Both were from Thai soldiers that were purposely screwing with the cobras. Just food for thought.

About 10 years ago, I heard on the news that Pennsylvanian rattlesnakes were cross breeding with local non venomous snakes and that it would be a real problem, because the offspring would be venomous but not look like the rattlers. I've never heard anything since so I don't know what ever happened with that.

I do fully agree that all snakes and most wildlife just wants to be left alone, and admired from a distance.

Over the last few years backpacking almost solely in Pennsylvania, I've seen numerous rattlers and almost stepped on one once. I found out instantly how high and far I could really jump. But, I'm not overly worried about venomous snake bites for 3 reasons.

1) I pay attention to my surroundings, which is part of why we're out there to begin with isn't it?

2) I'm not stupid enough to try to mess with them. When we're out there, we're guests it their world which is how it should be.

3) Statistics show that fatal bites are actually really rare and that being calm gives most adults at least 24 hours to get to a hospital before the situation becomes truly life threatening. Also, most people aren't even given anti-venom, it's only given as a last resort.

I can more easily be disfigured and / or have life long medical problems from an auto accident (head on collision with a drunk driver that broke my leg in 3 places – still in a cast as I write this), serving in wartime, or taking a fall rock climbing. Life is too short. Yes, take precautions, and if you feel more secure carrying a snake bite kit (by all means, do) but don't let fear keep you from enjoying outdoor life.

Be safe, respect nature, and live life. Luck, health and happiness to all.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/15060/20140529/universal-antidote-treat-deadly-snakebites-new-antiparalytic-nasal-spray-shows.htm

"Snakebites can be deadly but now, scientists may have taken a step toward creating a universal antidote. Scientists have tested the effectiveness of a nasally administered antiparalytic drug, and the results have been promising."

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

That article referred to bites from king cobras.

We don't see any king cobras in the U.S.

–B.G.–

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Not yet, Bob. Not yet.

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools