Topic

Favorite Settings for Zebralight H52W (or similar)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite Settings for Zebralight H52W (or similar)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I picked up a Zebralight H52w recently, and I've been really impressed with the light so far. It hasn't gotten much use yet, but I am potentially heading on the first real trip of the season this upcoming weekend. So, now I'm wondering how I should set up the programmable levels for the light.

I know a lot of people on here use the Zebralights, so–tell me–what is your favorite way of setting the light up on High, Medium, and Low for general hiking. Thankfully, this far North, it's light to 9:00PM already, but for camp chores, reading, as well as night hiking, what do you recommend?

Any help getting this figured out would be much appreciated.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have this headlamp. What do mean by programmable? I like the lowest setting for sitting around. Low enough not to blind someone next to you. I almost never use the highest setting. I unscrew the cap slightly to keep from turing it on accidentally. Maybe that's why no memory?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The very little time Ive used my H51, I use only the medium setting with it set to 30 lumen for hiking. I set the high to the lower high setting, like 140 or so I think, dont really remember.

Ive hiked a lot at night on the AT with 20L with a smaller light. Im comfortable with minimal light, and long battery life. Can always hit high for a few seconds if need to see better. As long as I can see the trail clearly 3-5 ft in front of me, thats all that matters. Im looking to not step on a snake or something mostly.

Remember, the Zebra burn times are based on 2000 mah eneloop usually, you will get 50% longer with energizer ultimate lithium. They are 3000mah, and lightest as well.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I've been testing my first experience with a ZL H52w, using Eneloops. The runtimes they state are a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

H1 fades off to be equal with an H2 level in 45 minutes (rated for 54). Similarly, the M1 drops to around M2 in brightness in under 6 hours (7.5 rated). I just tested the L1, and it lasted almost 3.5 days before flickering (4 day rating). It didn't really dim at this level, it just started flickering intermittently. The M2(b) setting followed suit, flickering within about 23 hours, instead of the 27 rated. YMMV

I'm figuring a good setup for me, is the L1/M2(b)/H2 for short bursts, with the secondaries being L2/M1, and not using the H1 at all, unless absolutely needed.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

From the Zebralight Operator's Manual:

For each of the three main levels (High, Medium and Low, there are two corresponding sub-levels (H1 and H2, M1 and M2, and L1 and L2).

. . . The first sub-levels (H1, M1, and L1) of each main level have fixed (none configurable [sic]) brightness. The second sub-levels (H2, M2, and L2) can be further programmed to different brightness levels.

1. Go to a main level with short-clicks or press-and-hold
    2. Double-click 6 times to enter the programming mode for that main level
    3. On subsequent double-clicks the light will cycle through different brightness levels.
    4. When you have the choice you want, exit the programming mode by performing a short-click.

Second sub-level settings are memorized when the light is turned off and through the battery changes.

These sub-level settings are the ones I was interested in.

Also, I did pick up a package of the Engergize Ultimate Lithium AAs, but I didn't realize that they were more powerful than the Eneloops. That's good information. (I saw the battery thread but haven't read it yet.)

Anyway, I hope this clarification helps.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks, I learned something.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> From the Zebralight Operator's Manual:

Does it do Windows??

The mind boggles – it's just a torch!

Cheers

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

Lower medium power for hiking on a trail, upper high for finding huts that ought to be over there somewhere.

In rain, try clipping it to a hat/cap/strap/etc in some way, instead of strapping it to your forehead. Then you don't have brightly lit rain six inches in front of your eyes. It's harder to aim it that way, but ok for trail walking (which is what you buy a "spot and spill" lamp for).

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

>Does it do Windows??

Something this svelte and this sleek? It's definitely a Mac.

Yorick .

@sisler

I'm using different ZebraLights for years, among others a H51fw as my standard for backpacking. In the majority of cases I use H2 (115Lm), M1 (25Lm) and L2 (0.16Lm) .. I love the lowest Low, it's like moonlight, good for studying the map at night without taking too much effect of the dark adaption. The settings for High and Medium depends on my needs, my floody version is most used for close-up range.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Low – set to lowest low
    Medium – set to lowest medium
    High – set to highest high

My basic theory is to use the least light I can for the task – maximizing runtime. Newer emitters allow for more light at the same runtime, or longer runtimes at the same level which is a plus. I love a low low and for most around camp tasks this is sufficient. The lower medium is also sufficient for walking around the campsite so that is the first choice.

If I use high at all, which is somewhat rare, it usually means I really need all the light I can bring to bear so I set that to the highest level.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

For my H52:

Reading 0.36Lm
    Looking for stuff around my tarp, 0.06Lm
    Night hiking; 13Lm will work on flat terrain, 27Lm for rocky.

Use mine every night to not wake my wife up on the 0.06Lm level.

Great lights! I have three other zebralights, and waiting for the H32 to come out.

Steve

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools