Topic

When is a Mini Bic almost empty?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) When is a Mini Bic almost empty?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Is it possible to determine when a Mini Bic is almost empty?

Seeing the "float gauge" on an MSR fuel canister made me wonder.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I buy light colored ones so I can see the fuel level inside.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I've always been able to hold them up to the light and see the fuel level. A bright flashlight works too. Tipping them sideways and looking thru the bottom gives a rough guestimate as well.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Shake it? Works for me.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

More proof, if needed, that I'm an idiot. I CAN see right through these BICs with a bright backlight, as y'all pointed out. Problem solved. Thanks!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Start weighing them. You may need a jewelry scale to get the resolution needed. For the price and the trouble they can cause, swap it out if you have any doubts. I find plenty of uses at home and car camping for partially used fuel canisters and batteries too.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

11 grams when full, if I recall. Of course, what you really want to know is how much when empty.

Jonathan Chin
    BPL Member

@jonrc

Locale: Northwoods

I had one that weighed in at 9 grams and ran out of fuel the next day after lighting only a few esbits. So, for what it's worth, there's about ~2 grams of fuel in there.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some users think that a mini bic is empty when I won't light anymore. Actually, it might be the typical cold butane problem. When it is cold, the butane won't vaporize.

If I keep my lighter stored somewhere warmer, like in a warm pants pocket, I always have better luck with it. On the other hand, if the pocket is too tight, it can depress the thumb button, and that equates to a fuel leak.

–B.G.–

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

All my mini's have the band around the steel wheel removed, and then a card-stock cap fitted around the top inch of the lighter so the trigger may not be depressed unless the cap is off. So far it's worked well. If the paper cap were to get wet, it wouldn't. It's not the ideal solution–I'd like to find a water resistant cap that wouldn't allow depressing the trigger until removed.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I can't remember if it was Bic or Djeep that used to make little locking tabs under the fuel button, to keep them from leaking out fuel, but that was decades ago.

One of the original designs when child proofing first came out, if I remember correctly.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I buy light colored ones so I can see the fuel level inside.

+1

Cheers

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

You can use a mini Bic "lighter leash" as a waterproof cover by inserting the lighter in it upside down. My survival key-ring has both a mini Bic in one of these leashes and a small Exotac flint & steel on it.

You can get the lighter leash here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Original-Lighter-Leash-Retractable-Holder/dp/B003CMC2VS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399817956&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+bic+lighter+belt

I removed the retractor from the lighter leash and threw it away.

But beware: I had to order this item 3 times to get the correct one. They kept shipping me the one for a full size Bic. But being Amazon, they ultimately made it right.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Bic has a metal strip on top of the flint wheel to childproof it which can be removed with a small screwdriver.

A small o-ring will act as a safety to keep the fuel lever from being depressed. I took my lighter to an auto parts store that had a box with an assortment of o-rings so I could get just the right fit. The more traditional/wholesale parts stores are more likely to have the assortment vs the mass market chain stores.

A mini Bic will fit in a prescription pill bottle if you want to waterproof it as well as keep it from being emptied.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools