Topic

Ultralight Tents.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    brandon hippler

@brandonhippler

What is the best/ cheapest ultralight tent out there in your opinion?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Do you know Alexandra?

Define best.

How many people?

How tall are they?

Need bug protection?

Self supporting or trekking poles?

Single or double wall?

Side or end entry preferred?

Define cheap.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

You'll get a lot of different answers on this, and it won't mean anything because the only answer that matters is the tent that YOU think is best. And that's going to be based on a lot of factors. Do you want free standing or not? Front entry or side entry? How many people? Dual entries or just one? Tent poles, or trekking pole support? Silnylon or cuben? Single wall or double wall? Bug protection or no? What's your budget?

I would read the individual tent reviews and the state of the market reports here. Explore the articles. Then, when you've narrowed down what you might want to try, keep a daily watch on the Gearswap and buy it used. Nearly every tent I've ever been interested in was available on Gearswap for much less than it could be purchased new. And then, if the tent just isn't right for you, you can sell it for what you have in it rather than losing 40%.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Conditions not specified. Pretty meaningless question.

Cheers

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

One to consider…..

Add the cuben and other UL options and get off your wallet.

Personally I would be looking at the model that has an external frame and has the removable interior.

Cant remember which model it is off hand but I think it is the Revolution the that the removable interior.

http://bigskyproducts.com/

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

If it was me I'd get a SMD Skyscape X (Cuben fiber tent). Great for 3 season camping. Even has a zip-in "porch" option.
    To me it's the best UL minimalist design out there.

I use a Tarptent Moment DW that is LIGHT but not UL. I got it for 4 season camping and for that purpose it's great.

BTW, My TT Moment's fly, like those of many other tents, can be used alone, W/O the inner tent if weight is very crucial.

Chuck Brooks

@xrossed

Locale: White Mountains

Take a moment to consider the choice of a tent. Tents are wonderful for shelters, however when attempting to down-size, consider other options such as Biveys and Hammocks. Have chosen a hammock for multiple reasons. The advantages are immediate, but require some thought.

There are several manufacturers of hammocks. My sleep system packs down to this: the hammock compresses to the size of a grapefruit, the rain fly and optional bug net both compress to the size of an orange. The suspension system consist of two straps that roll up relatively small and last but nit least, a high-end sleeping bag capable of great warmth but packs down to the size of a football. So there you have it…a total system of a grapefruit, two oranges, a football, and some straps, stakes. Pretty small, pretty light.

There are always pros and cons. You'll need to balance that out for yourself. There are several additions you can make but add weight and space when the intent is to get lighter. In short, this is typically smaller than a tent, requires less space, no sleep roll/matt, no need for clear and flat ground and can protect one in even some harsh conditions.

Bare ground will naturally cool and this is also true of hanging from a hammock a good bag and attention to compression of insulation along the back is something to mitigate.

My sleep system is quick, light and proper for three season hiking and backpacking. I'm always looking to get lighter. Oddly tactical gear is closely related to lighter gear and have many shared attributes. My pack is starting to look like a ultra-light/tactical pack.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Bare ground will naturally cool and this is also true of hanging from a hammock a good bag and attention to compression of insulation along the back is something to mitigate. "

Ever heard of an under quilt? A ground system is going to be lighter than a hammock.

"Oddly tactical gear is closely related to lighter gear and have many shared attributes. My pack is starting to look like a ultra-light/tactical pack."

One example please.

The OP's question is so meaningless that I don't think he'll mind the thread drift.

Why people such as the last three posters before me even left a post? What are they reading?

Edit: Welcome to BPL Chuck. Nice first post.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

"Do you know Alexandra?"

HAHAHAHAHA

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

The best ultralight tent is the one that fits your needs. That depends on where and when you are going, how tall you are, what you expect to put in it with you, and your ideal feature list.

Good hunting.

Chuck Brooks

@xrossed

.Ken Thompson…You might have OCD, get that checked.

No question is meaningless and just because the OP didnt pose his question according to your standards, doesnt make it meaningless. Try reading between the lines.
    In regards to underquilts, yes I have heard of them as exemplified by my statement "There are several additions you can make……"

You sound like a troll. If you cant be helpful, take your attitude, your lifetime membership and pack up and hit the trail running.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

OP posts video of Zpacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp before…so hacked account or just bored and starting a discussion that has happened a hundred times…

Ken,

Watch out. 2 post is flaming away at you.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"What is the best/cheapest ultralight tent out there…"

Yep. That is laughable.

Chuck Brooks

@xrossed

Best/Cheapest IMO simply means what shelter would give methe best bang for my buck.
    Why the xxx do you people have such xxx attitudes. Try helping the dude out.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Oddly tactical gear is closely related to lighter gear and have many shared attributes. My pack is starting to look like a ultra-light/tactical pack."

One example please. Ooh and a photo.

I'm genuinely curious.

I love my hammock, check my avatar. Best, lightest, cheapest is still a ground set up.

I was trying to be helpful in the original response I gave to the OP in hopes of getting some more information so that an intelligent suggestion could be made. Since the OP never has replied to this thread in the 3 months since posting I did not see the harm in some drift. So lighten up. I'm sorry you have to live there too.

I can't take such a poorly phrased question like the OP's seriously. If you do, I can't take you seriously either.

Cheery Bye.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I love all coasters, if my drinks are lined up on them.

–B.G.–

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Ken isn't a troll, he is just a cranky old dude who has been on this forum too long.

Tactical gear is usually very heavy duty so you can throw it out of a moving vehicle or drag it through a field of sharp metal and broken glass. Lots of extra pockets and attachments for easy access to essential gear like first aid kits, compasses/maps, radios, binoculars, magazines (not the kind you read), grenades, mortar shells, combat knives, ect.
    I guess it depends how you define tactical gear. Is a multicam ULA pack tactical?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Why the xxx do you people have such xxx attitudes. Try helping the dude out."

We can all help him out by suggesting that he forms an intelligent question. I'll bet that if anybody outlines the use that he is preparing for, he will get all kinds of suggestions. But, if you just want the best overall for everything, you are just playing in the weeds.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'm not old, quite yet.

@ Chuck. I brought up the under quilt since you do not list any under insulation in your "complete" set up. Should specify if you are using a semi rectangular bag. At least the OCD me thinks so.

Watch those run on sentences as well. Just trying to help.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

The ultralights from Eureka! are usually relatively cheap but still "mainstream tents"… yet very lightweight under 3 lbs. There's lighter but price increases. Think they still make the Solitaire (almost bivy like) and Spitfires. Know people who've used the Solitaire but with the same problem as bivy sacks. Still see them both being sold new.

Their original front entry Zeus Exo (discontinued) was light but the two side "hybrid" panels were too small to deal with any condensation. The hardware seemed a bit cheesy and read reports of it breaking when too cold (kind of when you want a tent). Neat design though. Over 10 yrs old so auction sites are the best bet .

ed: cap

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Roger.

"Is a multicam ULA pack tactical?" Justin, I would answer no and say it is just a bit more LNT,lol.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I use "tactical" gear just about every day at work although I haven't carried a milspec ruck or assault pack since I left the military years ago. I wear a MOLLE vest when I can pry myself away from the desk, have a tactical Maxpedition man-purse that I use as my jump bag and have another Maxpedition courier bag that I use for processing, fingerprinting, and interviewing customers.

In short, I'm a tactical metrosexual.

This stuff is tough and for the most part looks brand new. None of it is light. My dear friend always brings a MOLLE pack when we go backpacking. He likes it and couldn't care less about the weight. To each their own.

My hammock setup needs a few tweaks to lighten it up but even if I switch to whoopie slings and ditch the caribiners, it's still going to be heavier than my tarp or Hexamid Twin. But I also get a better night's sleep in them so a perfectly fair exchange in my opinion.

Re: troll vs grumpy old backpacker.

Yup Ken is old. REAAAAAAALLLLLLLLY old. I'm however a troll and my next comment serves to help make that distinction.

So here it goes…..

(ahem)

I'm really glad that this thread helps to confirm what we already know which is that East Coast "men" are really a bunch of Jersey Shore fist pumping spray tanning loudmouth crybabies who do or offer little to our great nation other than to further the trend of the wussification of the American Male but at least the cheap cologne industry isn't going out of business any time soon.

(Looking at you Paul)

See the difference?

EDIT:

I'll spare you the time and effort of pointing out the fact that I carry a tactical man-purse therefore my assessment of east coast "men" is improper. It's tactical so it's ok.

Oh I guess I should address the OP at some point or I'll be accused of being a shameless thread drifter….

I think the point has been made that it's difficult to answer the question without more information about the conditions it'll be used in but of what's available to me, and if I could only keep one shelter, I'd go with my Hexamid Twin. They've since released the Zpacks Duoplex which would be what I'd purchase today but I've yet to lay my hands on one and can't say how well/poorly they perform.

So why the Twin vs my mid or tarp (even though I really like them both)? Firstly it's a tent so I have some refuge from the June-August mosquitos. Secondly it's barely over a pound including groundsheet and stakes. Thricely it's a two person shelter which only weighs a couple/few ounces heavier than it's solo+ counterpart. That gives me more room for my gear when solo and I have a shelter I can share with one of my kids.

I still prefer tarps when the conditions are right and I like having my megalight for windy/snowy conditions so I won't sell either of them anytime soon.

Edity edity edit: So the OP wants cheap too? There tends to be a negative relationship between the weight of tents and their price tag. Easiest way to cut to the front of the line is to skip buying a tent altogether and start tarping.

theodore jefferson
    Spectator

@frmertd

There are a number of tarptents that have made me happy, usually a pound or so. If you like hiking poles (im addicted) then your pole supports it saving weight. My only complaint is hard to set up in wind and expensive. I have a stratosphere 2 and like it, but hard to set up in wind.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have a stratosphere 2 and like it, but hard to set up in wind.
    Try doing it this way :
    SS2 set up

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Brandon,

As I'm sure you have guessed by now from some of the caustic comments on your "best/cheapest" question, you have written a UL backpacking oxymoron without realizing it.

You'll soon learn that UL backpacking, while not as expensive as, say, boating, will not be "cheap", even when buying good used UL gear. That is, unless you are very good at making tents, packs and sleeping bags, as a very few here actually are.

Not that you should become a gearaholic like "a friend of mine". ;o) Or rush out to buy that expensive Six Moon Designs cuben fiber Skyscape X that I recommended. But seriously look at tents like Tarptent's products, Big Agnes, The North Face, etc. and many others mentioned here.

OR you may find a pyramid tent with no floor is for you.

OR even a damned hammock. ;o)

But the first time you find yourself a cool Gore-Tex bivy sack in a 2 hour downpour you'll truly know why people use tents or tarps.

Hey, I used plastic tube tents and tarps until I could afford a tent. Then I bought a cool looking Jansport wedge tent that let rain in the instant I unzipped door fly. (Moral: Do NOT buy a tent based on how cool it looks.)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools