Topic

drinking straws as containers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion drinking straws as containers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

"Intense Angler" is a fellow on Youtube with 100s of videos on outdoors tips n tricks. One very insightful video shows the many uses of drinking straws, primarily as mini containers. SUL and superior to mini dropper bottles in certain apps.

In another series he does a SUL trip with only (a lumbar pack, which he scored at a thrift store, which was rather SUL on his wallet. Thats one of his themes, low-budget, which I find a nice balance to all the hype i read about $600 tarps and the like…)

search his YT channel…enjoy.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

There are a couple of threads here on BPL using drinking straws for spices and other small stuff.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I currently use ordinary plastic straws for tiny things like cooking spices. The problem is that the diameter is too small, and I seek plastic straws with a diameter about twice that.

–B.G.–

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

A 2008 MYOG thread. There are a lot more on the subject some even older threads with a search .

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

How do you seal the straw back up in the field? Or is it intended for single uses?

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"To seal one end, the easy way is to pinch the end of the straw then scotch tape it flat."

My tape never seems to hold well once it gets warm.

–B.G.–

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Edgar H
    Spectator

@eh

If you’ve ever made stars,  triangles, squiggles, etc. with straws while waiting for food at a restaurant you’ll already know what I mean.

If you bend a straw till it hinges and folds the straw shut, you can then squeeze the sides of the fold together til it buckles and folds again into a V – which links locks  the hinge at whatever angle you had it at.  It can be worked open again with a little effort.

This wouldn’t help with liquids,  but could be used to reseal straws that were holding powders.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

I made up a bunch of single use straw containers of neosporin a while back. You have to play w/ it to get the right timing but basically you just heat up the end of small pliers (needle nose, mini leather man, etc) and the new clamp the straw end. The heat melts the straw together for a water tight seal.

too much heat and you melt thru the straw.  TOo little and it doesn’t seal.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

The Intense Angler video from the OP has the answers. Resealing straws – check. Heat sealing ends easily – check.

YouTube video

Caution – plastic straws are banned in certain parts of California. Fortunately, Amazon and others will still deliver a lifetime supply of contraband via USPS, UPS, or FedEx. Even (shiver) jumbo straws:

— Rex

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

Thanx Rex. Wow, 3 yrs since i posted that.

One thing he does not do in the video is explain why he believes the straws are advantageous to the tiny snack size ziplocs for example… These are ten times easier, and more convenient, however less durable.
    For ointment and spices, the advantages of the straw are clear. For the others, not so clear. Am I missing something?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Brian,

Funny you should mention snack Ziplocs. Two weeks ago I regretted packing many items in those bags, because the seals popped open with a sideways glance, even when far less than full. If you find small snowdrifts of potato flakes in the back country of Henry Coe State Park … Next trip I’ll use bags with better closures.

Or something else, like straws.

— Rex

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools