Topic

the opposite of ultralight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion the opposite of ultralight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

As I've headed into bikepacking, I have seen the same phenomenon and of course UL hiking techniques transfer directly to bike travel. I've seen many photos of stuff piled on like a grocery cart and for the same "what if" gear list traps. The only extra weight I can justify in a bikepacking list is a few more ounces of tools and tire repair items.

There must be some deep-seated human need to take everything possible. Or is it a modern phenomenon?

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Dale–we have an ever-increasing amount of "stuff" that we have the option to take with us. (Thanks, Industrial Revolution.) Stoves, headlamps–once upon a time people just built fires. Water treatment–once upon a time people just drank the water. Now on top of everything else, there's phones, cameras, PLBs, etc–thanks, Digital Revolution–and those are quickly becoming "essentials" for some. Not that some carefully-chosen "stuff" doesn't improve my outdoor experience and, arguably, help define the line between survival and recreation… and I kinda prefer the latter.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

This is my friend in Japan's backpacking blog with pictures of all his gear. His gear is actually pretty interesting. He carries a lot of electronics and camera equipment. http://completewalker.blogspot.jp/.

Here's a pretty good post of some of his equipment and food. http://completewalker.blogspot.jp/2013/07/the-equipment-for-this-summer.html.

I hiked with him in Glacier a few years ago. His pack was really heavy, not sure exactly, maybe 60#. He modified his pack with aluminum around the waist belt for added strength. I tried it on and it was surprisingly comfortable. I probably could have hiked with his pack and been pretty comfortable considering the weight. He kept up with us and our lighter packs very well. Just puts it into low gear and chugs along. We gave him the trail name Low Gear and he loved that name.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Chosen wisely with discretion, electronics can be the ultimate multi-use gear. My smart phone is word processor, email and internet terminal, camera, book, game board, GPS— and I can make phone calls with it too.

The payback is increased liability with increased complexity. How appropriate they are for the wilderness experience is a whole other thing. Thoreau would shake his head and I'm sure Muir would frisbee my iPhone off a high cliff.

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools