Topic

“Don’t buy expensive ___; save your money and buy good _____.”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Don’t buy expensive ___; save your money and buy good _____.”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Absolutely Sage:

A wise friend once advised me to "never spend more than $1000 on a car or less than $1000 on a bicycle."

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I think that there are very few areas where spending money makes sense. So lots of save money here. Also I think that the midpoint is always better then the high point. For example the shelter showing up in both columns to be is. Don't buy a Walmart special to save $100 but not going Cuban is a good place to save. So many items are like that but in general I see the following as good places to spend money.

1) Sleeping Bag/Quilt – Long term might be cheaper then rebuying lower end bags every 5 years
    2) Pack / Shelter — Both of these are don't go crazy but don't get garbage
    3) Sleeping Pad — The caveat here is that you only buy as much pad as you need to sleep comfortably. So if you can sleep on a blue foam pad never try anything better but to me a good nights sleep is worth spending on.

So really thats the Big 3/4 and they are the Big 3/4 because they impact your experience the most. (aside from shoes maybe) So spend there and fill the rest in.

Areas where I could have spent far less

– Down Jackets — Old Navy, Costco, etc would have been better than buying an Ex Light and a Patty down sweater. And I still lust after other ones.
    — Rain Coats — I bought a $100 OR but could have easily gotten buy with dryducks
    — Shirts – what ever free non-cotton shirt you have or used dress shirts
    — Stove — I bought Canister but making an alcohol stove should be on everyone list
    — Cookware — Lots of $5 options out there
    — Groundsheet
    — Pack Liners / Covers
    — Hats
    — Knives
    — Lights (unless night hiking)
    — ELECTRONICS — Safety ones get a pass

J Mag

@goprogator

I love this site but some of these recommendations are a little silly.

Buy a sub $1000 car just to spend an extra $2000 a year on repairs and gas money I could be saving by buying something more efficient (not to mention the extra environmental damage)?

And from my 5 years at college, any bike locked up outside for more than 30 minutes is a thief magnet. No way I would risk a $1000+ bike there. And there is no way I could ride a bike to my work.

I understand for the minority that may be very sage advice. Sorry to continue the off topic trend.

Back on topic, I'm glad I have been so heavily backed on my original "buy used" post. I think sleeping bags are going to be the "save your money for" winner overall though, which makes a lot of sense.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Well, perhaps a different take on this: Think what you need and what you want it to do before you actually buy. I saved heaps of money by not buying directly and only buying what you really need. And by only buying what you need, I am able (easily) to spend more on even things which are here categorised as not worth spending too much.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I spent less than $1000 on my first FIVE cars, but far, far more on gas and parts, not even counting my time in the garage and stuck on the side of the road.

My lowest cost per mile was buying a brand-new Corolla and driving it 480,000 km. In that time, it needed two $100 repairs. And got 35-42 mpg.

J Mag

@goprogator

^ This guy knows

I bet he is an engineer too.

Kyle Tayler

@recover1

Locale: Michigan

I spent $400 on my car 4,000 miles ago with one $27 exhaust fix. Today as a hail storm was threatening town everyone in the laundromat was panicking about their cars. I was concerned about my sleeping bag in the dryer. I was afraid the power would go out before she was done drying. They thought I was insane.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Meh, I buy a brand new car every three years. Three Priuses in a row, the third one just bought this past Sunday. And if it hailed tomorrow I'd be more concerned with a sleeping bag in the dryer as well – I may buy them new, but I don't attach any importance to them.

But, to the OP, if money is an issue, then don't buy expensive backpacking gear/toys you don't really need (like an inReach SE), save your money and buy good quality gear you do need that will last for years if well taken care of.

And I agree with other posters, the worse place to skimp is with your sleeping setup (whether quilt or bag). I also agree about the shoes, insofar as good shoes don't have to be expensive – but they should fit your feet comfortably for miles.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

How about I make you guys a separate "Car" thread? I'd like to get some more on-topic info if it's not too much trouble.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I think the best general advice is not to skimp on the sleeping bag/quilt. That said, I have never spent more than $100 for ANY single piece of backpacking equipment. But only my pack is light (GG Vapor, used on gear swap). If I was going solo I would upgrade my quilt next. I have a BA bag that is 3 lbs and a ray way double quilt that is also 3 lbs but fits me and my wife very well. I'm hoping that my wife comes with me more than I go alone, so I am going to upgrade my tent instead. I can shed at least as much weight that way and the quilt works well for the two of us. The upgraded tent will make my wife happier than a new quilt, and loosing the weight and having a tent that is easier to setup will make me happier. So, it all depends on your situation and priorities. Even in my case they could change.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I count the car as gear. How do you get to the trailhead? You can easily kit yourself backpacking equipment wise for a couple grand for the best of everything. Sleeping bag and good clothing are wise choices that will last a long time if cared for. Like an automobile.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

>You can easily kit yourself backpacking equipment wise for a couple grand for the best of everything.

You and I both know that's a pipe dream. For $2K you can kit yourself with "the best of everything"? Go back to sleep Ken.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Don't buy expensive gear, save your money and take time off to use your cheap gear.

I went to school for nursing specifically because I new I could work 2-3 days a week for the rest of my career. Which is not the answer I gave in the intake interview ;-P

The car thing… I recently bought a new car, something I swore I would never do, but like the last one, I'll keep it for at least a decade, and it will get me where I need to go.

$1000 on a bicycle? Yikes. I really like my $100 bike, but maybe I'm missing something.

Now if I just had a new kayak…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Best is a subjective term Delmar. OK 3k Mr.Champagne.

I can replicate my best kit for less than 2k.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Don't buy titanium, buy aluminum.

Lots of great and light aluminum cookware options out there that are a fraction of the cost of titanium pieces.

Jake S

@spags

"I also agree about the shoes, insofar as good shoes don't have to be expensive – but they should fit your feet comfortably for miles."

I wouldn't disagree with that but I guess what I was getting at is that a bit more can be spent on them by replacing them a bit more often. I've ruined some of my precious free time by taking trips with a pair of shoes I ran into the ground on the last trip and forgot I needed to replace them. Although, I use more traditional trail runners, I guess it maybe a bit different for those of you that don't repeatedly squash all the heel cushion out of your fancy low/zero drop shoes.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I'd say cuben: sil right now for regular pace backpacking. After shopping for a cuben replacement (w/optional hanging net) for my TT SW Moment and realizing for my sleeping size (my feet extend and legs straighten), I would only be saving several oz at about $400 – $500. May replace with a Notch, selling the used Moment.

In terms of gear and life in general, think one should look at decluttering (looking at getting rid of unused things that create storage problems) and keeping clutter from building up.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I'm enjoying this thread- thanks for posting it.

I'm in agreement New Stuff/Used Stuff. My tent, as an example, I purchased new. Since then I've seen the same tent for sale on Gear Swap in like-new condition for half what I paid for it, on a routine basis. My other gear (pack, sleeping bag) I got used and saved quite a bit and got excellent gear.

I also think, of all the gear, that I'd be willing to spend the most on my sleeping bag. The difference between, say, a Kelty 20 degree down bag and a Western Mountaineering 20 degree down bag is night and day. The Kelty is cheap, but it also won't loft as well or pack as well and frankly even though they have the same rating I think the WM bag is actually warmer. I learned this the hard way.

Shoes- I wear $50 NB trail runners that work fantastic, and I have really deformed feet with bad bunions. I'd think if anyone would need some special expensive shoe it would be me, but no, the NB off the shelf work great. I'd just say make sure you go a size bigger and maybe wider too. It made all the difference for me with blisters to go wider and longer.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Using a cycling mantra.. save for contact points. Shoes, pack, sleeping pad, quilt. The things you are in contact with the most. Hiking in comfort and sleeping well are important. They don't have to be expensive necessarily but definitely fit correctly and work for you.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Don't buy expensive Ti hook stakes; put your money toward good 8" long aluminium stakes.

The extra two ounces are more than worth it:

They can be driven into hard ground that ti stakes cannot.

They are less likely to come out of the ground when your shelter gets hit by a 50mph wind gust of wind.

They are less likely to come out of the ground when it rains and the ground turns to mud.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I would say to put your money toward good titanium shepherd's hook stakes, not aluminum ones.

If I had a nickel for every bent aluminum stake I've had, I would be a rich man. For titanium stakes, I've never bent one.

–B.G.–

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Maybe John is referring to the tri-wing aluminum stakes, like MSR Groundhogs?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

At 71 my attitude on the quality of gear I buy is "Get what you TRULY need within your budget."

"Budget" is a loaded term for me. It usually means what I can pay off within 6 months. That includes $1,800. riflescopes, $300.+ solo tents, $2,000. + lightweight rims and V rated tires, etc. etc.

Yep, guns, gear and car stuff, in no special order. Might as well spend it now AND enjoy it now because it's possible that tomorrow I'll be pushed around in a wheelchair by a young nurse named Butch.

Those of you who have read my rants know I like modding my gear to suit my needs. It's VERY satisfling to use gear that's good quality with good quality modifications.

Why bother modding gear that is of only mediocre quality? "Lipstick on a pig" and all that.

Re QUALITY: "The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price has passed." It's like drinking Bud Light when you could have had a Sam Adams Light instead. That Bud Light taste AND aftertaste just doesn't cut it.
    Don't believe me? Drink a Sam Adams light first then drink a Bud Light. Right, you never knew Bud Light could taste so bad.

Similarly use a Wally Mart el cheapo wedge tent for a week and then a SMD Skyscape silnylon tent for a week. Uh huh!

Wanna have both goood quality gear and spend a lot less? Make your own gear. I've seen some truly excellent DIY gear posted here.

'Scuse me, gotta go study my Bible. Cramming for my final exam…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"If I had a nickel for every bent aluminum stake I've had,. . . . "

I'd be able to afford one titanium one.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

It is definitely true that the longer aluminum stakes with more surface area will hold better in strong winds, but if you take 2 stakes that are identical, one aluminum and one titanium, the titanium stake is much stronger and far less likely to bend. Welcome to Materials Science 101!

I'm a summit hiker in Arizona and I encounter extremely hard ground. I carry 7 of the 6.5 inch titanium shepherd hooks that weigh .3 oz each (don't be seduced by the lighter .2 oz ti shepherd stakes, they will bend) I also carry a 9 inch long, 1 oz Evernew titanium stake for the head end tie-out for whatever shelter I'm using…. that's my foundation! The .2 oz shepherd hooks are good for when I want to carry more than my 8 heavier core stakes, like when I want to pitch a 2 person flat tarp that needs 12 tie-outs. And if I think strong winds may be coming, I simply place some decent size rocks on top of the stakes.

But I think if you're not dealing with really hard ground, I'd go with the longer aluminum stakes. In sandy softer soil, the extra length and surface area would be superior. And yes, a little less expensive.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools