Topic

The lost “jet engine” ground pad inflator?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The lost “jet engine” ground pad inflator?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

This is totally a shot in the dark, but I've looked everywhere, and cannot find the gadget I am looking for, so I'm hoping someone here knows/remembers what I'm talking about.

3-4 years ago or so, I found a link on a thread in these forums about a new handheld electronic inflator pump for use with ground pads, such as the Downmat. The gadget was new to the market, but did have its own website, which had pictures of it. It was small (palm-sized I believe), yellow, and looked a bit like a jet engine. And I believe in the marketing material, they even mentioned that they somehow innovated or were inspired by jet-engine technology to be able to make a device that small with enough power to still inflate a ground pad.

I lost the link and the thread, and I've been trying to find it again for years. Anyone remember what I'm talking about or know the gadget?

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

it may have been camptek, the product is also now sold be thermarest for the neo. it won't fit the exped valve but retrofiting a tr replacement valve is really easy.

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Yes! That is it exactly!!! Thank you SO much!

The picture on their website looks like it will still work for my Downmats. I'd have to check. But my mats are circa 2006-2007, so they have the external nozzles (one on each side).

Anyone have experience with these? Like them, don't?

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

I only have experience with exped flat valves, they are ok but the filling methods are not great in my view.

I have used the camptek on neos, my modified exped ul, and poe thermo 6. I won't own an air pad that this won't fit or be made to fit. Lithium batteries last a long time in it too.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

You could look at the Instaflator.
    No batteries, i cut about 1/3rd off mine , takes 2-3 loads for a 7cm mat.
    (I only use it at home…)
    http://flyweightdesigns.com/?product=the-instaflator

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Great little device. Unlike the instaflator you can do something else while your pad is blowing up. Also better if raining, since you can't be in the tent with an instaflator as easily.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Has anyone tried the TAR model? It looks exactly the same as the Camptek version, but it can be had for $31 on Amazon.

I will likely pick one or the other up sometime. I figure it would be of some assistance to wood fires, and like Ken says, it's easier to use inside a shelter. I also have an instaflator and it does the job, but these battery powered ones seem like a nice option…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They are the same. Just that TAR had them rebranded for themselves to sell.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Thats what I figured… thanks.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Flipping LOVE my Microburst!!

I have a TaR XTherm, size large, that is just a monster to inflate… the Microburst is a MUST have for these large four-season pads!

The Microburst will inflate the XTherm Large about 85% of the way, so I still (sadly) have to breath in three or four breaths (suppose I could use the stuff sack inflator that comes with it) but three or four breaths of moisture going into the XTherm is a hell of a lot better than 30 or 40 breaths.

Soooo totally worth the weight of it – and be sure to use Energizer Advanced Lithium batteries for the winter season!

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Thanks, folks! I'm going to get one. I figure, I'd probably still pack my pillow inflator as a back up for dead batteries in the Microburst, and for the fact that I like to use it to place between my knees (side sleeper with boney knees). So if it wouldn't fully inflate the Downmat, I'd be very pleased for it to just get it most of the way there, and then use the pillow to top it off…

Somewhat unrelatedly, I contacted Exped yesterday to ask what the best way to repair my Downmats would be – e.g., did they have a repair department that would do it, etc. 2 of the pads nozzles have fallen out, and 1 or 2 of my others seem to have slow leaks. "Sure," they said. "Send them to us. That's your only expense – we cover the cost of the repairs and of shipping them back to you." BONUS! Super excited, since I was thinking I'd have to figure out how to repair them myself…

Fred Eoff
    BPL Member

@fredeoff

Locale: Northwest

On those trips where I know I can't hang and need my NeoAir, the Microburst is definitely in my pack. Pretty cool and reliable little device.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I also love mine. When I first used it I thought it was taking way to long to fill my BA IAC. I didn't remember it taking that long at home and was concerned that the altitude was affecting it (I was at 8k feet or so). I finally realized that I had the wide BA IAC with me! I need to get that back to the buddy I borrowed it from for car camping once. Don't want to make that mistake again! And it did fill it up just fine, but certainly took longer. ;)

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Won't work for the Exped, but for pads with nozzles, like the TAR's, I'll just use my pack liner, like I proposed over here.

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Just wanted to follow up and let people know that my Microburst arrived, and it DOES work with my older Downmats. There is a flexible "rubbery" piece that pulls out (presumably to attach the other fit-pieces so that it can adapt to various styles of inflation valves), and that little rubbery piece will fit over the nozzle just fine and inflate the pad.

I am not able to get it to inflate it to "firm", so I do finish off with my pillow pump. But I typically have that with me anyway to use as a pillow. Saves a lot of time and labor. Overall, I'm super, super happy with my purchase.

Thanks again for helping me find this thing!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

1. I've never heard a report of anyone getting mold or mildew in their Thermarest pads from breaths, if the pads were stored with the valve open. Have you?

2. The idea that an "Ultralighter" needs a large-wide pad is pretty funny to me, BUT, I will concede that some people need them to sleep and enjoy the woods. The idea that you NEED a battery-powered brick in your bag to inflate it? now THAT's amusing.

You guys are gonna become what you loathe if you're not careful…

uwagflawygfuwagf

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Max,

You're alright!

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

>> I've never heard a report of anyone getting mold or mildew in their Thermarest pads >> from breaths, if the pads were stored with the valve open. Have you?

Yes. My husband had an older version of the Prolite 4 that was light orange so it was easy to see the black stuff inside. It was always stored flat with the valve open.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

My schnozzle works just fine for inflation. Its the deflation that drives me crazy every morning. I looked around for a deflator, but found nothing. Apparently it is not as simple and reversing an inflator. I continue to seek. Edit: Mat is Exped UL DownMat

Derrick

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm a big, fat boy. I'm my own deflator!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

An older prolite has foam in it, and is an entirely different animal from the modern iteration of the NeoAir. From Thermarest's Website:

"Will moisture build-up and ruin my mattress if I blow into it?

No. We have spent decades refining our coatings and fabrics to withstand such things and this assurance of lasting quality separates Therm-a-Rest mattresses from every other competitor. However, minimizing moisture is always a good idea. Always allow self-inflating mattresses to inflate on their own as much as possible, then just top them off with a few breaths at the end for added firmness. We also recommend storing your mattress unrolled and with the valve open. This keeps the foam core at maximum loft and allows any moisture build-up to evaporate slowly."

This says two things to me.

1. Newer NeoAir pads are designed to manage the moisture from your breath.

2. If you get a mildewy mattress, Thermarest should replace it.

As for easy deflation, open the valve before you get up. In one or two minutes, your bodyweight pushes all the air out.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hauling an electric pad inflator is the antithesis of UL to me, not to mention the sustainability and ecological issues. If you need such stuff, it is time to take a closer look at your sleep system. The pillow or pack liner options seem better to me— if you are using them anyway.

All this fuss makes me like my old CCF pad even more: low cost, low weight, can't leak and great for rest stops too. I've taken a nap on a rocky river bank that would have shredded a Neo.

To paraphrase the Governerator: yoo cannot be zee girlie man undt climb zee mountains!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

But what if you are a lazy bastard and that's why you carry the pump?

You can walk without poles

You can carry your gear in your arms, who need a pack?

I have to blow up a large and regular neoair. I'm lazy. I want a pump. UL ethos? Meh. I'm on vacation.

Plus I don't blow, I suck. Wait… They are synonyms

I'm lost…

Ok consider the pump my spare battery carrier and to make it multi- use I use it to inflate my pad, and to blow into my wife's ear when we are under the quilt.

BAM! UL ethos up yer valve stem!

Blow it out your instaflator. :)

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks for that! :^)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"But what if you are a lazy bastard and that's why you carry the pump? … BAM! UL ethos up yer valve stem!"

+1! I ….. uhhhhhh, think, anyway…..

Edited to add: Not to mention – carry some of those little umbrella thingies, put it in your filtered water with a bit of crystal light, lean back with your sunglasses on and your eyes closed, take your shoes and socks off, turn the inflator on and toward you, and BAM! You're in Cabo!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools