Topic

Rain pants recommendations for occasional, light use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain pants recommendations for occasional, light use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I'd like to get a simple, lightweight pair of rain pants to wear occasionally while walking or riding my bike home from work. These rain pants would reside in my everyday work backpack (Osprey Flapjack), and only really come out on the days when I need to walk/ride the casual 2.5 miles home while it also happens to be raining. This probably occurs about 1 day per week for me here in the PNW during non-summer months.

I used to have a pair of Marmot Precip pants that served this purpose until they (along with the rest of my backpack) were stolen. I have neglected to replace them since, but I'm getting tired of soaking my work pants every time it's raining at night and I need to get home under my own power.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to just about anything. I've considered everything from my previous Precip pants, to Luke's Ultralight silnylon pants, to propore fabric pants (i.e. Frogg Toggs/DriDucks), etc.

I don't necessarily need zippers on the pants, but the pants will at least need to be baggy enough to fit over my work khakis. It would also be a big plus if I could also use them occasionally for backpacking. Having said that, my expectations for breathability with any rain paints are pretty low.

Also I'd like to spend no more than $100 on these pants and I'd like them to be under 10 ounces.

Thanks for your help!

Nathan Wernette
    Spectator

@werne1nm

Locale: Michigan

I have used a pair of Columbia rain pants with omni shield or omnitech for the same purpose of commenting by bicycle. I lived a couple years in college without a car so I had to bike year round. (ah the simpler days) But these pants served me well even in the winter as a shell over what ever i was wearing to go to class.

They are about 10 years old and going strong. I think columbia still carries the model.

heres a link:

http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-PFG-HydroTech-Packable-Rain-Pant/FM8073,default,pd.html

If you have a columbia outlet store near by might go check them out to see if you can get them any cheaper.

EDIT: they are 12 oz on my scale (size large)

If you are looking for a bit lighter try the patagonia torrentshells listed at 9 oz

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-torrentshell-waterproof-rain-pants?p=83811-0

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

LL Bean Trail Model rain pants hav eben my go-to for years and years. About 10 oz.,breathable enough, and very durable; and $80. Only issue is that they don't have pockets… but for me, that's a plus- one less spot for rain to get in!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68419?feat=504716-GN2&page=trail-model-rain-pants&attrValue_0=Black&productId=1120925

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

How ridiculous are you willing to look? My Frogg Toggs UL pants are only 4.1 ounces and only $20 total (including the jacket!) but they look absolutely absurd. I got the size medium and they still look like clown pants.

Very functional and great for just-in-case rainwear when hiking, but I can't imagine they would last long bike commuting.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I LOVE my old GoLite Reed pants and dread having to replace them, but when I do I will look for something similar. If that time were today, I would probably go for the Montbell Versalite pants. 3.7 oz and $99. I'd probably replace my Marmot Mica with the Versalite Jacket as well.

Only downside is they (both) may be hard to find in your size as the production runs appear to be small.

Nathan Wernette
    Spectator

@werne1nm

Locale: Michigan

I was just about to mention those. My wife bought a set of rain gear (small enough to fit into a large junior set) and I am always poking fun at those, BUT they are light!!! her set weights as much as my patty rain jacket… Half the weight of my rain clothes!

Nathan

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I can't tell you anything about these rain pants other than they are 4.9oz in medium and on sale for $55 CAMP B-DRY PANTS EVO

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have tried several different kinds of rain pants, but honestly, none have been as good as my old REI pair.

I think it's these:
    http://www.rei.com/product/844642/rei-rainwall-pants-mens-32-inseam
    (there is a 30" inseam as well…lots of different sizes actually)

I used them commuting year round in Chicago and they were perfect. They are currently about 6 years old and going strong – when I need rain pants these are still my go-to. Baggy enough to go over my work clothes, sturdy enough to not wear out in the butt, zippered legs to get on/off over my shoes….not TOO heavy and nice feel on them even if I put them on over shorts or something.

And they are as breathable as you think they are. Which isn't very. But for rain? Love em.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Derek,

As probably has already occurred to you, "Bike" here may be the operative word. If you are going to be using these on your bike and want to get lots of trips out of them then go for cheap and durable-ish. Driducks will probably rip at the seat almost immediately. Most of the fancy-pants, er, pants that are especially light weight probably will not be too good on that account either.

I say replace them with Precips again – maybe this time write on them with a gold sharpie "these are Dereks rainpants – do not steal".

Maybe you should consider very durable softshell pants instead. I have a pair of Scholler dryskin pants and the water justs rolls right off of them – up to a point. The have the advantage that they are stretchable, super breathable, and very durable – seems like something similar might also be good for riding. More expensive though – see, drifting already :-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Mine are 2.45 ounces, sewn from a Thru-Hiker Liberty Ridge Pants pattern. I estimate that they are about half waterproof and half breathable.

–B.G.–

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

I use Dri Ducks when cycling, backpacking and canoeing when needed.

Maybe they look goofy, but then so do I –

canoe

And hey, on a bike they prevent the stipe up the back problem well enough.

My size medium suit weighs 10.1 ounces total – That's pants and jacket. The pack easily and are a little over twenty bucks.

Mine see a reasonable amount of use and are always in my pack everywhere I go, and I have stated t notice wear. I expect three active season out of them, then maybe a new set.

For biking, you have to worry about the loose pants and bike chain. Do you have a chain guard?

EDIT –

When biking I simply must have breathable rain pants. I've tried coated nylon and it was a total sweat bath, even in cool weather. I simply cannot stand anything but breathable pants on a bike.
    Backpacking, I like breathable stuff but can live with impermeable stuff if I have to.
    Canoeing, non breathable rain pants are fine.
    ff a bke, it ain't

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Any other suggestions. Need some for dog walking amid tall wet grass. As well as in town, on the trail. Had to retire my last pair of Reeds

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Ken,

I use a pair of Marmot Essence trousers
    and like them.

They look OK for around town also.

Think I paid 50-60$ on sale for them.

They areally light enough to have in a pack also.

David Ure

@familyguy

Ken, what about rain chaps? MLD has some and I presume there are others.

I know that Sierre Designs will have a version early in the new year.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

>> "How ridiculous are you willing to look? My Frogg Toggs UL pants are only 4.1 ounces and only $20 total (including the jacket!) but they look absolutely absurd. I got the size medium and they still look like clown pants."

If you want to look even more ridiculous, do what I did and steal a page from Mike Clelland by turning your Frogg Togg rain pants into a rain skirt. Maybe not a great idea for the bicycle, but for walking it's great to have rain protection AND all the ventilation you need to stay totally cool and dry underneath. And trimming an extra ounce or so off the pants always is a plus.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Not a fan of chaps Dave.
    Read some reviews on SD's new Pack Trench coat. Very bad. Don't think I would buy from them these days anyway.
    I could use a jacket too, truth be told.

Thanks Stephen. Looks doable.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I'd get another pair of Precips at <10oz, and <$40 at any given time on Sierra Trading Post with a 30% off or more coupon.

Crap. This thread is from April?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools