Topic

Oware Tarp VS. Bozeman Tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Oware Tarp VS. Bozeman Tarp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom Casperite

@tcasperi

I am trying to choose between the 6×8 Oware Tapered Catenary Tarp, or the 6×8 Bozeman Mountain Works Stealth 0 LITE. The bozeman is a little lighter, but which one is more stable? The bozeman has extra guy out points, but the fabric is thinner. I could buy the stealth pro? I would love your opinions.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey- great question Tom. Here’s the deal:

Oware actually manufactures the tarps for Bozeman Mountain Works according to Ryan’s specs. You’ll notice a couple of differences in sizing between the BMW Stealth 0 LITE and the Oware Cattarp 1.1 but they’re minimal (the BMW is 7″ wider at the front and 1″ wider at the bottom and the Oware is 6″ longer) but that’s not the big difference. It’s material.

Oware makes their Cattarps out of silicone impregnated 1.1 oz high tenacity nylon while the BMW Stealth LITE uses silicone spinnaker cloth which is lighter but not quite as durable. However, BMW now offers the a Stealth PRO fabric version which is “generally considered to be as durable as 1.4-oz silnylon”, thus making it possibly stronger than the Oware tarp while still saving a bit of weight.

They both have 8 tie outs.

So, to make a long story short, these are very similar tarps made out of different materials. I’ve used a BMW Stealth 0 LITE for 2 years now and in some tough conditions and it’s still just like new. We also have a reviewer currently testing the Oware Cattarp 1.1 and he’s had great luck with that too. You can’t go wrong here- it’s just a matter of budget and preference.

Best of luck!
    Doug Johnson
    Shelter Systems Editor

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Doug,

Have noticed quite a few posts very recently from you. All I can say is “Thank you”. Some very good info in them. It’s really appreciated. I know y’all have a life outside of BPL, but would certainly appreciate more posts from BPL staff when time permits.

Take care and many thanks,
    pj

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Doug,
    Could you comment on the noise factor with the spinnaker fabric? I would imagine with a taught pitch there would be no noise?

I have an Oware Cattarp 2 which is great. I was considering one of the BMW tarps but was worried about noise. I’ve got some of the BMW stuff sacks made from the same material and they are very noisy.

Assuming you’ve got a taught pitch (Pretty easy with the oware cattarp and I would imagine easier with the BMW tarps since the material doesn’t stretch like silnylon) is the tarp noisy in the rain, or in light wind?

Thanks
    Dan

Eduardo Lartigau

@eduardo

Tom; Consider the GG Spinntwinn, more coverage, very strong, and very quite in heavy winds with just 8 stakes.Eduardo.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Paul- thanks- I appreciate that. I enjoy getting involved when I have the time. I also really enjoy reading your thoughtful responses- you have some really good things to say. Thanks to you!

Daniel- I have used 3 spinnaker tarps- the BMW Spinponcho, the BMW Stealth 0 Lite, and the Gossamer Gear Spinshelter. They are a tad bit noisier in the wind than my silnylon tarps but I haven’t found it too annoying. You’re right that it’s easier to get a taut pitch with a catenary ridgeline and this helps to minimize noise, but I’ve found this to be fairly easy on flat spinnaker tarps too. You’ll also find the tarp to be more noisy when it’s brand new but this mellows with time. I’ve only experienced noise in moderate winds- breeezes and rain don’t pose much of an issue.

Another thing to consider is seam sealing the stressed seams of the tarp. This adds to seam strength dramatically (but is mainly only necessary with the hood seams on a poncho-tarp- I’ve never done this with a cat ridgeline).

Eduardo is right- the Gossamer Gear stuff is beautiful too. Also, check out http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com for some other great spinnaker options.

Best of luck!
    Doug

Tom Casperite

@tcasperi

Thanks for your comments they are really helpful. I think I am going to to with the bmw stealth lite. I was kinda worried about the durability, but not so much anymore. I figured I would shave off as much weight as I can. Thanks again.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Regardless of what brand you settle on, I encourage you to seal the seams.

The seam strength of the ridgeline on the BMW Stealth Tarps is already pretty good. Seal that for water resistance. Set up the tarp, draw an extremely thin bead of Silnet across the ridgeline, wipe it into the entire seam with your finger, then take a dry cotton cloth and wipe off the excess. That’s all you need to do. It doesn’t take much sealer to do the trick: you are impregnating the seams, not coating them.

I’d use the same technique on all of the tie-out points. Sealing the tie out points improves strength where most of the stress accumulates, and minimizes water absorption into the tie out ribbon seams – WET THREAD ALWAYS HAS A LOWER FAILURE POINT…

If after sealing your tarp has gained more than 1/2 oz in sealer weight, you’ve used too much. I just finished sealing a Stealth 1 and the added weight was 0.33 oz, and I still feel like I used too much.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Thanks Ryan- I’ll take your advice and seal up my cat tarp right away!

Doug

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools