Topic

If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Previous posts from others clarified it for me: chair plus a tent I can stand up in

Good idea for a post. Thought provoking.

Thanks.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

For sure, my #1 choice would be a DSLR and an ultra wide lens, and a big fatty knife, 8oz of 12 year scotch, a large xtherm… Am I over yet?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"It would be nice to have a 'chair' hammock that's literally just enough material to sit in."

hammock chair

Bushman Hammock Chair at Arrowhead Equipment. Scroll down.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

My god, you have beautiful legs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Clean your glasses Matt.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"My god, you have beautiful legs."

Why thank you, only that's not me. Pic from the Arrowhead site.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I need to stop putting off the bifocals.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Actually.. I think that nails it. I hadn't seen THAT design of hammock-chair before … though I've seen others. If I use the material to double as a stuff sack / pillow then I'm game and can do this without much more weight.

I can re-use my hammock straps but that would mean that I can't use the chair / hammock at the same time.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

I wouldn't mind that hammock chair instead of my couch in my tv room. It looks perfect.

kristen buckland
    Spectator

@buckie06

Locale: Colorado

more protective camp shoes. I use dinky flip-flops :(

And a lounging around hammock.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I always have free pounds, as my pack weight has dropped another 4# since reaching the point that I don't even notice my pack any more. Further lightening and simplifying everything remains an ongoing process that is kind of a hobby unto itself rather than fulfilling any real need as far as backpacking goes.

A knife and saw for fire when I want one are really the only extra gear I'll add unless combining activities, but sometimes I'll take a couple pints of my favorite sweet tea, or some apples and packages of that Jif chocolate silk for snacks.
    For short overnighters where I play a lot, having light gear sometimes means being able to bring wetsocks and watershoes, even wetsuit pants, or heavier pack and rope with gear for rappels without feeling weighed down. I don't really keep track of pack weight any more, but doubt it broke 30# either time I carried a 150' 11mm static line to rap waterfalls this past summer.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My kit is dialed in. I don't need to add or subtract gear. Don't need to buy more.

If I want luxury I go camping with with my wife in my camper.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

OOOOOO…..a chair. yes, a chair. It is so very uncomfortable for me to sit on the ground – i really, really need something to lean back on and frequently the tree or rock just doesn't cut it.

And beer.

A chair and an crisp IPA, or good stout (when the weather is chilly) would literally make my life perfect. Who needs personal protection and safety?! Blech. Beer.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I'm not close to UL – trying but not there – but am by comparison to my scout troop brethren certainly LW. Had one scoutmaster ask if I was sure I had everything I needed since I was packed in a 65L REI Flash with not a single thing hanging on the outside "beverly hillbillies" style. even had a bit of room to spare. I'm not sure what he'd have asked if I showed up with a setup like many here use!

Some of that is preference (I still use a double wall shelter – albeit typically a fairly light one – Big Agnes SL1 – which I'm just used to and the move to a single wall shelter like a tarptent doesn't save enough weight to justify the cost … yet … full tarp is tough for a guy just starting to backpack a year or so ago), some of that is situational since I backpack with scouts so I do tend to carry a bit more than I might otherwise carry – a slightly bigger FAK, often a bit of extra food, etc… as one of the adults on a trip we are the last safety net, although it is expected that scouts exhaust other scout resources before turning to us. On a different note – I do often take a chair (Alite Monarch 1.5lbs roughly) as we tend to get to camp early to mid afternoon since we accomodate a range of ages and abilities so distances don't go beyond 5 miles each way that often. Since scouts are supposed to help scouts as an adult there is a fair amount of potential downtime so a chair becomes less of a luxury and more of a necessity.

If I added anything it would be a SPOT for personal use (the Troop already carries one on all trips).

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

If I had room to carry 2lbs, I'd use it to catch and carry home my own pet Marmot.

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

I've asked my girlfriend for a "Perkins" tent for christmas and birthdays every year since we met, still no luck.

I don't know your current system but I'd give pillows a try if I had the spare weight.
    I just don't want to throw money at something that I have always managed without in the past.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Only on BPL can people not fathom carrying an extra 2 lbs, even if it just a "what if" thread. Geez.

Anywho, I'd bring along more microbrews, of course. Wait…I already do that.

…probably a lightweight camping chair. That would nice.

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'm not UL and bring the 'needs' like raingear, comfortable sleep gear, etc. So I'd probably bring some 'toys':
    Camera
    Book
    Rumrunner Flask (with 151) and sugar free Koolaid
    Monocular (2 oz)
    A few sheets of paper printed with tree/flower ID info
    Sit pad (doubles as pillow topper) (3-4 oz)

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

I just saw a a helinox table on a UK shops online store, maybe I'd take that and one of their nifty little chairs.

Just over 2lb for the two of them.

Nothing wrong with getting your kit down to a nice, low weight then using your old, slightly larger (only slightly heavier) pack and taking some luxuries!

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Congratulations on the weight loss, Kevin. You may find that you now need more insulation to keep warm. A couple of years ago I lost 20 lbs. to get back down to my preferred weight (160 lbs.). I found that I chilled easier and needed more insulation when at rest. Maybe a half pound for a warmer sleeping bag and the rest for fresh fruit & veggies in your food bag.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

+1

Was really surprised that after dropping from 260 lbs to 200 how much colder I was when sleeping. Not much difference when hiking, but suddenly had to wear more clothes in my bag. Which is the route I would suggest rather than getting a warmer bag. Clothes are useful 24 hrs a day were as a bag only at rest.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Maybe Doug should add a suntan to his wish list — no extra weight either :)

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools