Topic

Titanium kettle/pot I can suspend above a fire?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Titanium kettle/pot I can suspend above a fire?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

My Evernew titanium mug failed.. the handles are broken unfortunately.

The one complaint I have about it is that I want a handle over the top of it so I can suspend it over a fire. I imagine I can have boiling water MUCH faster.

Do any vendors make a mug with a handle like this? Is there a name for that type of handle?

I kind of want this setup:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vcB1sE_gWCE/TY6LTJf7phI/AAAAAAAAAFc/iV5HPe8BQcQ/s1600/Adjustable%2BPot%2BStand%2B2.jpg

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The photo shows a heavy/rigid bail. That works, except that it is heavy and non-folding.

I use a 20-fluid-ounce Snowpeak titanium bowl (1.8 oz), and I attached a length of stainless steel wire of a length similar to the heavy bail. I usually use the wire just for lifting it off my Esbit burner, but it could be used over a wood fire.

–B.G.–

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

You could drill holes in your pot and add a wire bail.

David Gardner (gold gear) has been experimenting with adding a wire bail to his beer can pots, they are very light.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I was thinking of doing that and taking it to the local hardware store and having them drill it.

But really good idea.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Titanium is very hard to drill. However, if you use a Dremel tool and a very hard bit, it works. It doesn't take a very large hole to get a steel wire through.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There is at least one LW version :
    http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium-750ml-Bail-Handle/dp/B00EZIKUJY
    however because of the low weight of these pots even when fulland the fact that they all seem to have a rim, you should be able to make a wire bail without drilling holes into the cup.
    something like this :
    Wire bail holder

Added picture of the 750ml (4.7oz) Toaks for your convinience
    Toaks 750ml

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Seems like a job for a broken high E electric guitar string.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It's called a billy, at least here in Oz.
    A large tin can and a bit of tomato wire. Holes made with a hammer and nail. Used to be the default.

You can drill the Ti walls with a standard (sharp, maybe new) 1/16" twist drill and a drill press. Support the side you are drilling properly (!), run the drill not too fast, and be aggressive in how you feed the bit in. Should only take a few seconds.
    Make the bail from a Ti bicycle spoke or some Ti welding wire. Oh well, try a bt of SS MIG wire maybe.

Cheers

Stephen Stephens
    Spectator

@sstephen

Kevin,
    The pot in your picture looks like a modified Snow Peak Trek 900 or 1400.These are sold at Four Dog Stove (fourdog.com)

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

See this thread for a flexible bale handle on a Evernew 900ml pot. Pot with lid comes in at 69 grams (2.43 oz).
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76677&skip_to_post=654871#654871

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I would like to see photos of the failure on the mug. Possible Kevin?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Don't know if you need the volume, but LiteTrail offers a Toaks 1600ml with a wire bail handle:

http://litetrail.com/products/litetrail-titanium-bail-handle-cookpot-1600-ml

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

" You can drill the Ti walls with a standard (sharp, maybe new) 1/16" twist drill and a drill press. Support the side you are drilling properly (!), run the drill not too fast, and be aggressive in how you feed the bit in. Should only take a few seconds.
    Make the bail from a Ti bicycle spoke or some Ti welding wire. Oh well, try a bt of SS MIG wire maybe. "

+ 1 – all exact true and correct.

there is nothing else to know.
    other than cobalt steel drill bits work a tad nicer for this task, and if you are really really desperate/determined to shave grams, you can get free ss wire from any of the better welding suppliers in .023 – .025" size if they have an open spool floating about.

when trying to support the pot for drilling, simply clamp a stick of wood in the vise, and drill into that.

M Blick

@mattblick

Locale: Ohio

Perhaps consider this "halulite" aluminum kettle:
    http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/tea_kettle_hae-_1_qt/camp_cookware_pots_and_pans

I use a lot of titanium gear, but I don't like it for heating water. Aluminum heats much more efficiently. Though slightly heavier, the weight is offset by decreased fuel usage. I've used hot coals, wood stoves, esbit, white gas, isobutane, and alcohol stoves under it for 5 years now and apart from char marks on the bottom looks new; it has been stepped on many times.

The 1L kettle is 5.8 ounces as delivered. I dropped an ounce by replacing the heavy bail wires with much lighter wire (I bet Kevlar cordage would work as well)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools