Topic

Spot 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Spot 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Best Buy is selling the Spot 2 for $44.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/2-satellite-gps-messenger/1231175.p;jsessionid=87A6F96C7B9C62B9248878411F2D9E4E.bbolsp-app02-158?id=1218239168854&skuId=1231175&st=spot 2&cp=1&lp=1

Sportsmans Warehouse was selling it for $75 but offered me a price match.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Pretty good deal. Thanks for posting.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Read this blog this morning. Not very encouraging.

http://briangreen.net/2012/09/spot-ii-gps-messenger-disappointment.html

Kenda Willey

@sonderlehrer

Yeah, I've read some negative reviews, too. It sounds like Spot 2 might be okay for communicating with home (if it's not essential that the message actually get through), but not for something like, oh shall we say, getting rescued? And then there's the subscription fee–it's sorta like inkjet printers, where the printer's super cheap and the cartridges expensive. I ended up getting a PLB instead. To the tune of about 5 times what a Spot 2 costs. There is an optional subscription service for the PLB (which lets you send a limited number of communications to select recipients) that costs almost as much as the Spot's subscription service, but the PLB also works without the subscription service, whereas the Spot doesn't. I chose to use the PLB strictly as a personal locator device in case of an emergency, but I might decide to subscribe later on. The Spot doesn't do anything without a subscription.
    If your main concern is being able to send rescue messages that will reliably be received, don't waste your money on a Spot. If your main concern is communicating with home, don't spend all that money on a PLB.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for the feedback. There was a parallel thread going in "Gear" at the same time and I forgot to watch this thread. I figure I'll activate it for a year and see how it works out. Probably will skip the tracking feature.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ha ha Ian! Doug was right. S@$&!?.

I had a version 1 Spot. Useless unless on the freeway.

The subscription fee is a total rip. Way more than what would be fair.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Where were you guys with these pearls of wisdom like a month or so ago!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If you don't activate you'll only be out $45.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

I have a Spot 2 and used it in a lot of the Colorado back country. It sent out signals and people were able to see where I was. Maybe it's not good under dense cover or in deep narrow canyons, but mine seems to be fine most places I go. I think it could get you rescued in CO…

Tony Campana
    BPL Member

@velodadi

Locale: Lowcountry Carolina

Kenda,

Which PLB did you buy? Thanks.

Tony

Kenda Willey

@sonderlehrer

I bought an ARC ResQ Link. Sorry for taking so long to answer, but I've been on vacation–no cell coverage, no internet.
    There are a couple of stores that sell ARC online, and all of them had a special spring promo (some extra stuff if you mailed in your receipt, proof of registration) that I think has since expired.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools