Topic

sun/compression sleeves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sun/compression sleeves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Wheres the love in the hiking community for arm and leg sun /compression sleeves?

Distance runners and cyclers swear by the benefits of leg compression sleeves, reduces soreness, enhances recovery, etc. As well as provide sun protection.

Arm sun sleeves are made to be cooling effect, and also are cooler than a LS baselayer when worn with a SS shirt. CEP has some that are only 0.6 oz each.

Just seems like these items would be more popular in the long distance hiking community to me for hot dry places like the western US. I know Matt Kirk wore leg compression sleeves on his record setting AT speed hike last year, he is an ultra runner too.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"cooler than a LS baselayer when worn with a SS shirt." Who wears both? Of course that would be hot. Torso covered twice.

I like a loose fitting button front long sleeve shirt. Most versatile. Only one thing to keep track of instead of three.

Like the one in my avatar. Was near 90 that weekend.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Long sleeve button up shirt, roll up the sleeves. That's how I've done it.

"Distance runners and cyclers swear by the benefits of leg compression sleeves, reduces soreness, enhances recovery, etc."

No.

RC should be awake soon. Don't tempt his intellectual wrath!

"Arm sun sleeves are made to be cooling effect"

Extra no.

For my legs I've considered wearing very thin non compressing tights under shorts.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"RC should be awake soon."

I didn't want to be the one to awaken the beast.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

While there is mixed data on the compression as to effecting performance, I dont think it is contested that it helps limit swelling for people on feet all day, which can improve recovery theoretically. At the very least it does not harm. A world record was set at the London Marathon wearing them.

SOME sun sleeves are thinner than most any shirt you can buy, skin tight wicking, and your armpit can still breathe when worn with a SS shirt because there is a big gaping hole there if the shirt isnt skin tight, hence they may be cooler than a plain LS shirt worn for sun protection. Some fabric treatments are supposed to feel cool when they get wet, i pass that off as bunk.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've used them pretty extensively backpacking and distance running and cycling.

Sun protection: A+
    Cooling/wicking: D Even the thinnest white ones I have feel hot to me. Tight stuff just doesn't feel good on the skin when it's hot outside.
    Compression: pure nonsense in my opinion.

Best use: warmth/wind protection that's easy to regulate while on the move.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I think the compression might have value in long distance backpacking. Even ultra runners dont run a marathon EVERY day. Thru hikers may though (or the equivalent) for days or weeks straight. Matt Kirk saw value in them on his AT hike , of course he was averaging about 38 miles per day for 59 days. Here he is at Springer (from his AT photo collection)

matthew kirk

From what Ive read, sun sleeves are the most useful for cooling is in humid climates. Supposed to have been developed for racing in Hawaii? or something like that, the wicking on arms allows sun protection and better evaporative cooling, but not hot like a LS shirt would be.

Kevin S.
    BPL Member

@kstephens

I wear sun sleeves while cycling on day long rides in the summer. The are great on the bike, as long as I am moving. When stopped on breaks, I am much cooler if I take them off for a bit (in the sun or shade). I think something slower moving (hiking/walking) you are better off with a loose fitting shirt. I have found in the southeast/midwest summers, there is very little that will make a hot and humid day with no breeze more comfortable.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I've written extensively on compression for my job as a fitness writer. The general knowledge right now is that the improved recovery rate is anecdotal, not scientifically backed.

There is, however, a small increase in performance. Over a few studies, it averaged out to be about 6%. So, you'll see a 6% improvement in recovery.

I think comfort is bigger for a lot of hikers, more so than for ultra-marathoners. Compression sleeves are tough to wear for days on end if you're hairy unless you REALLY want the speed increase.

The best thing I've done circulation wise for hiking is to elevate my feet at night, through a pack under my legs or a hammock.

I wear compression every single day on my feet because I have a vein problem in one foot. It works! Keeps the blood from pooling, which causes painful swelling. It's unrelated to my circulation, though, so it's irrelevant for most people. I just thought I'd mention it.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hello,

There is some sound wisdom in going with sun protection clothing and with compression sleeves.

The issue of sun clothing is a whole other discussion from compression sleeves though – this really should be two different threads.

As for sun clothing: last year I made the switch to using sun clothing and it has drastically changed the way that I hike. Read my article Sun Precautions Ultra Athlete Shirt and Pants for more on the why I switched. It has been a fairly long time since I went on a hike without a sun shirt. I still have found it hard to switch away from Montbell Wind Pants as my primary pants but I am slowly making the change to using sun pants. Ken Thompson and I did a hike earlier this week in which we just got drenched in rain and I wore both sun shirts and sun pants, photo near the bottom of the post. I still carry and use a golite chrome dome but I have become a convert of the Sun Precautions 'Ultra Athlete Full Zip Shirt'.

As for compression sleeves: Due to EAMC I have started wearing Zensah Compression Leg Sleeves. Oddly I only tend to wear them on one leg, as for whatever reason I only seem to have EAMC in one leg. The ULTRA running world has been at odds for years on whether they work or not. Most of the top ultra runners in the world have tried them and only very few wear them. The most common complaint is that they compress too much at the top of the gastrocnemius, thereby actually inflaming EAMC. The bigger issue here is what is causing the EAMC in the first place. While that is still oddly a seemingly mystery to medical science, there are some very solid facts out there. I highly recommend reading this article which deals with a lot of what is known and putting to rest what a lot of what we thought was true but is probably not. I personally find that using a Zensah that is folded over on itself (soleus & achilles tendon) while I am hiking, and then once I have finished hiking for the day I pull the folded part over the gastrocnemius, and that in doing this I am able to drastically reduce EAMC both after the hike, and more importantly, while I am sleeping.

+John Abela
    HikeLighter.Com
    facebook.com/hikelighter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools