Topic

30F Bag Comparisons–which to buy? (with spreadsheet!)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 30F Bag Comparisons–which to buy? (with spreadsheet!)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

James,

What?

I don't care about the humidity at which they test.

I want the loft, or failing that the baffle height. published accurately. That is all.

That's all the "data point" I was referring to.

I've never suggested doing anything to the EN test, keep publishing it as they do now, I don't care. I just wish they published simple dimensional specs of a bag, accurately. You are the one getting into how to test it, humidity, all that. As I say, its a distance. Control the variables and measure it. simply that.

Would that not help you decide which bag may be closer to a stated temp? (keep in mind I said a lot of quilts and some bags are not EN tested)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

No, I don't believe so. Loft is pretty independent of the baffle height except within a similar baffle distance. If the distance between two baffles is different then the average loft will be different, too. For example my bag usually bulges above the baffles about 3/4". Should I add more down, or less, or not change it? If the himidity on one day is 100% and the next day is 30% the amount of down will vary, regardless if the baffle height is the same. A half ounce in 10 ounces is 5% for a rough example. What is the effect of diagonal baffling as in the spiral bags, or horizontal baffles as in some others? More or less loft? If there is less loft, it may be just as warm anyway. Then we run into diagonal baffling schemes. They could be trapezoidal baffles, longer but not higher, generally closing up any cold spots better. Some bags have dual sewn through baffles. I really think that having the baffle height without the amount of distance between them, and, the type of baffling system gets a bit tedious to analyse. Maybe not for you and me, but defintly for most campers. It would just be confusing. Enter the OilCan Harry types of salesman to interpret the specs for the average camper…

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I'll toss in the Sierra Designs Cal30. "Water Resistant" Down, killer hood, pretty light. Pricey, got mine on SNC though. I like it.

Brian Reyman
    BPL Member

@breyman

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Montbell just released their new line. The 900FP #2 looks worth considering:
    http://www.montbell.us/special/products/downhugger900/

If I was looking for a 25-30 degree bag, it's the one I would buy for sure (even though it is pricey).

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Received my 30* Enigma quilt yesterday–first impression confirms Enlightened Equipment's excellent reputation.

Ordered a regular length/regular width just before EE changed the Enigma sizing, and I'm glad I did. The "old" regular fit to 5' 10"–with the new sizing, I would have had to choose either small (fit to 5' 6") or regular (fit to 6'). This size is the perfect in-between for me (I'm 5'6") with just enough extra length to pull over my head.

Quality is excellent–while not factory-made in appearance, it is impeccably crafted. Nice details, including the gusset at the top of the sewn-in foot box, and the pad attachment system.

Weight is right on spec–15.3 oz on my scale vs. 15.5 oz listed.

Well done, Tim and Enlightened Equipment.

quilt
    gusset
    logo

edit: Moved to here from another post.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

David,

Very glad you like it.

As far as sizing goes the current short is the same length as what you got. Our Revelations have always fit with a roomy feel and now the Enigmas fit the same.

We didn't change the actual size of the quilts just the way we explan the fit.

-Tim

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools