Topic

Hangers show me your suspension hardware please ;-)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hangers show me your suspension hardware please ;-)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I've made whoopie slings and endless loops. I've got whoopie hooks. I have ultralight climbing rated carabiners.

I've ordered some 1" webbing and a pair of SS cinch buckles.

I'm about to order some aluminum descender rings because 4 of them will weigh a tiny bit less than the two cinch buckles and may be a little easier to use.

Cold, wet and possibly frozen whoopie slings have me considering my options.

Show me what you use and tell me why you settled on your particular choice if you will.

My current suspension is whoopie slings, whoopie hooks, endless loops and 1" polyester double loop tree straps.

I'm considering moving to 15' x 1" single loop straps, endless loops and either cinch buckles or descender rings. The possibility of trees just a little further apart than the length of my hammock is moving me to try and find the most versatile system for a wide range of distances between trees.

Thanks in advance.

Party On,

Newton ;-)

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

I recommend you start here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86

as this is a place for discussions dedicated to hammock suspension carried out by lots of experienced hangers.

….Unless you are particularly interested in the BPL members' input, which is only a subset of the one I suggested.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Ivo,

I actually subscribe to the hammock forum.

As you mentioned it is the BPL members input that I am looking for in this thread.

Thanks for your suggestion and the link. I have garnered much good information from the hammock forum.

Party On,

Newton ;-)

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

I just use Black Diamond Neutrinom biners and 15'x1" webbing.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

I'm moving from woopies to a cinch system, probably the one made by Dutch.

Reasons are as you stated, more tree options as I found woopies too restrictive. I'll take the weight penalties for ease of setup.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Whoopies and biners. If it gets simpler, tell me.

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

Whoopie to wall, simplest suspension ever :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1475505195999156

I have dutch hooks on whoopies but prefer having whoopies tied to hammock then connected to dutch buckles …. easy to pack and can have tree straps separate if need be for sap …. I find whoopies pack easier when connected to hammock and dutch buckles / straps pack so well on their own (Dutch bow tie), so no need to have whoopies connected to them. If I was changing out suspension, the whoopie hooks to continuous loops on my hammock would make sense but happy with the whoopies …. don't do straps for weight and simplicity and packed size. ….

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It's tree straps, Camp Nano 23 carabiners and whoopie slings directly attached to the hammock for me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Tree straps and cordage does the trick for me. Trucker's hitch, or Hennessey lashing method . Has proven to bet the most versatile set up for me. A little fiddle factor, but I've been doing it this way for a looong time.

disclaimer. I like knots.

Tried whoops and all that. Too many pieces. The Amsteel just looks too thin and is limited in it's usefulness.

Webbing and some cinch buckles looks pretty dang easy though.

John, why not post this in the BPL hammock forum?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

@ Everyone who responded, Thank You Very Much!

@ Ken,

We have a hammock forum? Who knew!?! I didn't, he said very red faced. LOL ;-)

Party On,

Newton ;-)

Troy Childs

@tchilds

Amsteel whoopie slings 6 foot.

Dynaglide fixed Ridgeline set to my preference and cut to length with no adjustable anything.

Old car seat belts for free straps with tacked in loop on both ends.

$25 total and very light. No need to over think things. No snake skins no drip rings no nothing just simple and cheap.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

No hardware. Just whoopies directly to hammock, tree straps with whoopies connected with marlin spike to carbon fiber toggle. Hammock with whoopies 7.7 oz. Tree huggers with toggle 2.4 oz.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

I use a bridge hammock, so my minimum hang distance between trees is already pretty long. I need trees to be at least 13 or 14 feet apart to get my hammock between them, and that is after I shortened the suspension triangle on my warbonnet ridgerunner a bit.

If I used whoopie slings, my minimum hang distance would be another 2' or so longer to account for the chinese finger trap burys and the fixed eye at the ends. So for my bridge, I use 13' of 1" strap on each end. I prefer Dutch's cinch buckles over the warbonnet cinch triangles (even though the cinch buckles are heavier). I also use camp nano 23 biners on each end.

Yes, I could go lighter with other options. But this makes it so I can hang my hammock super quick and easy. And it allows me very easy adjustment.

Some other thoughts for my setup:

Warbonnet triangle buckles vs. Dutch's cinch buckles:
    Dutch's buckle are so easy to adjust and hold on tight. There is no need for a backup knot in the webbing to keep from slipping. I always found the warbonnet buckles to be a bit difficult to adjust, so I am willing to take the minor weight penalty to swap these out with Dutch cinch buckles. Dutch says he is close to coming out with ti cinch buckles, so I am patiently waiting to purchase those.

Camp nano 23 biners vs ti Dutch clips:
    I'm a heavier guy (250ish). The ti dutch clips are rated for 1000 lbs. Dutch also warns that they should not be used for anything steeper than a 30 degree hang angle. Since the suggested hang angle for a bridge is 25 degrees, and I weigh a bit more than I should… I am a little leary. I have also noticed a bit more wear on my straps when using ti dutch clips as opposed to biners. The biners put me back another ounce or so on my dutch clips, but I feel safer with them. And the biners make setup a bit easier. So, biners for now… until I change my mind again.

How things would change with a traditional gathered end hammock:
    If I used a traditional gathered end hammock, I would probably switch things up a bit. I would use 5' of 1" strap for my tree huggers on each end. I would larks head a 7' 7/64" amsteel UCR (utility constrictor rope) to my tree hugger. I would attach a ti ducth whoopie hook to the other end of my UCR. I would probably not use a biner or a dutch hook at the tree, but rather I would make the sewn loop at the end of my tree hugger about 3 or 4" so I can easily pass through the rest of the suspension through the hugger. I would use a continuous loop on the hammock gathered end and attach my whoopie hook to the continuous loop. It would be similar to below, but I would use a UCR instead of a whoopie sling.

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/whoopie-hooks-illustration.jpg

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

No carabiners here. Just two carbon toggles that weigh mere grams each. The tree straps are taken from some roof rack tie-downs and the material is the lightest I've found, and still strong enough. Then I made dynaglide UCR's with fixed loops on each end. It's a light and strong (enough) setup for someone like me who is 165 lbs wet.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Tree straps and biners with amsteel lines (no whoopies). I could do without the biners a la Ken, but they add enough convenience I consider them worth it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools