Topic

Beyond Our Boundaries: Episode 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Beyond Our Boundaries: Episode 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Beyond Our Boundaries: Episode 1

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What's the longest your family has gone out for at one time to date?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bon voyage!

Gotta see some gear lists!

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

Ken: Our family backpacking trips thus far have topped-out at five days.

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

rOg: no, we won't be using a shotgun mic, we have a Roland R-05 digital audio recorder. Unfortunately – due to some technical issues – the audio from the recorder didn't make it into this episode, however this should be rectified for future ones. That's why we are doing theses pre-trail episodes, to get the bugs worked out in advance :-)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

If only a family trip of 5 days, what are the odds this trip will be completed? Less than 10%?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"If only a family trip of 5 days, what are the odds this trip will be completed? Less than 10%?"

I don't think this is a fair statement. People have done long thru-hikes with little or no backpacking experience. There are a lot of other factors that are probably more important. However, with 5 people in the family the need to keep all 5 motivated could prove challenging — or maybe not. From the little I have read about the family, I have a feeling they have a very good chance to complete the trip. Time will tell. Keep positive thoughts!!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail is essentially one long trip broken into a series of 3-5 days between resupplies.

While a longer hike with resupply is extremely helpful for dialing in gear and technique, it is not necessary for a successful completion of an AT thru-hike.

Prior backpacking experience of any type of trip, of course, is always helpful. A five day trip is pretty similar to what most people will see on the AT.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Being out for five days should be plenty on the AT. Its not as remote as other trails. They have been living a pretty outdoor oriented life style so I think they will be mentally better prepared then most people who set out on the trail.
    I think the biggest risk is that with 5 people there is a greater chance of a twisted ankle, illness or other emergency that will take them off the trail. Hopefully none of that happens.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I think the biggest risk is that with 5 people there is a greater chance of a twisted ankle, illness or other emergency that will take them off the trail."

Kids are made out of rubber, and are also the reservoirs/vectors for most of the common crud.

Mom and Dad are the ones at risk.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Using a 5 day outing as a benchmark for a success rate of an endeavor like this is completely the wrong approach IMO. I don't think the catch lies in the physical aspect of it at all. I would be more concerned with the idea of five people being stuck in such close proximity to each other for such a long period of time. No getting away from anyone for anything.

What I see as the biggest hitchpin of success for this group, is the homeschooling. The family is already operating as a "unit" (at least I hope that's the scenario) and hasn't suffered the family unity breakdown that comes from a more public sector. That unity, should provide a "power in numbers" effect and be the key factor in the success of this project.

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Locale: Canary Islands

It's gorgeous. Good Luck family
    Thanks

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I am so happy for all of you!

Great job, Mom & Dad!

marjolein Keuning
    BPL Member

@laincha

Locale: netherlands

What are your plans for food? Sending packages, shopping on the way?
    What are the weights and kind of things to eat that keep kids happy?

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Cool family project!

Best wishes. Hope you make it the whole way, but even if that doesn't happen, the experience will be priceless.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools