Topic

REI Claus is Coming to Town!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Claus is Coming to Town!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

So dividend time is almost upon us once again, have you all been good girls and boys and been nice to the folks at REI this past year? You should at least be nice to the elves, they are just doing their jobs! (Get it?! REI employees wear green, so, elves right?)

Okay, I tried to stretch that joke maybe a little too far; I'm only on my first cup of coffee…

Anywho, I was just wondering what, if anything, you all are planning for your dividends this year. I find it increasingly hard as I delve into UL geekdom to find anything worthwhile at REI minus small items and consumables. However, I've decided this year I'm throwing paranoid caution to the wind and finally getting a NeoAir XLite, durability concerns be damned! (Thank goodness for 25% off coupon, a gift card I've had for 6 months, and buying full price XMas presents there last year.)

So what's on the wish list this year?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well since the nearest REI is a three hour drive. It's a fairly lousy, small one at that. Since they have no gear that really interest me, I stop in to buy canister fuel once a year. Might get a dollar or two this year. Can't do much with that.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Andrew, if you're concerned about durability, move up to the XTherm. The bottom fabric is really durable (even heavier than the current ProLite), and I have full confidence in it.

My wife is wanting to start cycling, so we may put our dividend toward some accessories, etc. for that. (Hopefully that means she'll be more agreeable when I try to talk her into a new fly rod this year.)

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I like to use to mine for Patagonia and smartwool baselayers, that sort of thing. I was thinking about getting an atom SV before they're gone, but that's hard to justify here in central texas. I wouldn't wear it for months…

And my other thought is to go ahead an add a short synmat UL7 to my gear closet so that I don't always have to carry around my downmat all the time.

My brother bought his daughter a bike last year with my card…so I'm hoping for a windfall!!

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I run my business expenses through my REI CC so my dividend is typically over $800 or so. Generally it is spent on clothes and shoes as tents, bags, packs are bought through the cottage folks. With 5 kids it will all be gone by summer.

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

I will probably pick up a puffy jacket to replace my JCP one. Or perhaps a lighter fleece than the one I have. Two pieces of gear I think I need to improve on.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Maybe an Exped Synmat UL7 to go with my Downmat UL7, but am not sure. Been fine with the super duper ultralight Klymit X-Lite Recon, so maybe just another Capilene 1 crewneck or a Capilene 3 zipneck…
    I don't find much of interest at REI any more, either. If the dividend from last year carried over, it's probably less than $8, but the 20% off will be appreciated on something like the Capilene that I rarely catch on sale in a normal person size.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Steve,

What's the deal on the REI card? How much dividend per dollar purchased? I've been doing an airline-mileage card, but that plus all the flying I do, I'm often over a million miles and struggling to keep it beat down.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

5% back on REI purchases (on top of your regular dividend), and 1% back on everything else. It's not a lot, but my APR is decent and it's the only CC I have. Might as well get something back.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

The REI CC gets you an additional 5% on REI purchases (so 15% for members) and 1% rewards on all other purchases. It adds up.

As for me, I'll be getting the news Brooks Cascadias with my dividend.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

David, I also use my REI Visa card for all my credit card purchases. The dividend is an additional 5% on every REI purchase (on top of the usual 10%), plus 1% on all other purchases.

Edit–Daniel is quick, I tell ya! Jon too.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm with David on this (though I do have a REI card), most of my purchases are on my mileage card, that way I get a free trip once or twice a year to somewhere that I want to go. Since I don’t travel for work anymore my free miles only come from card.

I do use my card at REI so i get the maximum benefit for the money spent.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

I find purchasing shoes at REI is one of the best things. You can't make your own, the cottage guys don't make much, and the specialty stores are pretty expensive. Past that, there really isn't a lot that fits into the UL campers kit that can't be had for less and better quality thru a cottage manufacturer, or just made yourself.

Also like to sift thru the Garage Sales each month to see what lovelies pop up. Have gotten a lot of good stuff lately.

One thing to note on the REI visa is while it does give you addt'l 5% on REI purchases, you don't get ANY dividend on sale items. I rarely buy anything full price there so my dividend tends to be nil. :(

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

>One thing to note on the REI visa is while it does give you addt'l 5% on REI purchases, you don't get ANY dividend on sale items.

Not quite.

Using the REI Visa you get 5% back on any REI purchase charged to your card.

Members get 10% back on non-sale items.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I don't buy too much from them anymore but there's a bike on my wish list that I want to buy through them so I'll hang onto the REI card for the time being to maximize my dividend for next year.

Other than that, my dividend will go to a Prolite Plus or a new pair of La Sportiva Wildcats.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Due to the quality of cottage makers, I mostly use REI to replace soft goods (clothes, footwear), though I bought an Exped synmat last year for my luxury item. Another icebreaker, maybe some replacement capilene this year. Trail runners.

Might get into replacing snow gear … if the deep snows ever return to the mountains.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'll request a check in July to get refunded money I've spent at cottage gear companies. ZPacks, EE.
    Duane

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Stephen – I'm definitely going to have to revisit this then… I hope you're right! i've been under the impression for years that there is no dividend for sale items, even if you purchase w/ the REI Visa.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools