Topic

what trips does your troop have planned for this year?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts what trips does your troop have planned for this year?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

It's always good to share ideas for outings. My troop is in northern California. We're planning on going to the Ishi Wilderness, Lassen, and the Rae Lakes loop in SEKI. What about your troop?

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

We're going to the BWCAW this year. Last year we went to the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Incredible place!

Vincent Lauricella

@1776sm

My Troop is from NJ

In 2012 we backpacked in Emigrant Wilderness, CA. Last year we canoed in the Algonquin Provincial Park, Canada. This year we will be backpacking again in the West, and have narrowed our choices down to either Three Sisters Oregon or Sawtooths Idaho.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

2009: Sawtooth Range 50 miler,
    2010: Wind River Range 50 miler
    2011: White Cloud Range 50 miler, Philmont
    2012: JMT South lake to North lake 50 miler, Sea Base, Konderstag Austria, Grand Gulch spring break 50 miler
    2013: Uintas 50 miler plus about 4 weekend backpacks, Philmont, Sea Base, Owyhee Range 50 miler
    2014: Seven Devils 50 miler, Northern Tier canoe trip

plus about 6 weekend backpacks each year

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

We formed a new troop this year so this year the big trip is to Camp Parsons on the Olympic Penisula (2 year wait list). We have a young group of boys so a Scout Camp will be perfect to get them started (and get a bunch of Merit Badges out of the way)

In the old troop in recent years;
    70+ mile white water rafting trip on the Lower Salmon river, Idaho (Last year)
    50+ kayak trip through the San Jaun Islands in Washington
    Horseback trip into the Paysetan Wilderness, NE Washington
    Horseback trip in the Sawtooths, Washington

We backpack about 10 weekends a year. December is family month and every February is a alpine ski/snowboard outing with a 5 mile snowshoe hike on day 2.

I wish I could get the older group to do Mt Rainier soon.

K P
    BPL Member

@schado6

Troop in Northern AL – we do an outing every month (except Dec). Here is this years (Aug-Aug) calendar. It may vary somewhat year to year but there is usually a longer fall/winter trip (holiday weekend) and spring/summer one, not including summer camp or Philmont Treks

Aug – Planning mtg (Scouts in leadership positions meet over a weekend to plan out the upcoming year (adults just provide info as requested or make suggestions, i.e. camping trip to Hawaii would be great but it would be a tad pricey…)

Sep – White Water Rafting Ococee River (last year was 50miler at Grimes Canoe Base, TN)
    Oct – Pioneering and basic land nav w/ Webelos
    Nov – Backpacking, South Cumberland State Park
    Dec – Lock in w/ Merit Badge sessions (for some reason scouts just love doing this annually, lets them stay up all night and watch movies/play ball in gym, etc)
    Jan – Ski trip, Perfect North, OH (can't recall last years location)
    Feb – Cooking campout
    Mar – Shooting MB
    April – Scout Skills (held in spring to accommodate newly bridged cub scouts to prep them for summer camp)
    May – Cycling, Hurricane Creek (last year was a fishing/boating outing)
    June – 2 Philmont Crews / Summer Camp (this year its Boxwell in TN, last year they picked Camp Thunder in GA)
    July – Aquatics/Beach Campout, Port St Joe
    Aug – Planning campout

There are other events throughout the year as well, such as MB colleges, helping Cubscouts w/ Pinewood Derby, University of Scouting, etc. There is a local 50mile bike ride every fall as well as part of the All You Can Eat Century Bike Ride (34-106miles). For Philmont Treks, training starts in Dec with a monthly backpacking trip in addition to above.

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

Your scouts are going to have a lot of fun. In past years we have backpacked on the JMT from Mammoth to Tuolumne Meadows, hiked the southern portion of the Lost Coast Trail, and biked on the Avenue of the Giants and Yosemite.

Eric Johnson
    BPL Member

@unimog

Locale: Utah

2012 – Buckskin Gulch, Paria Canyon to Lees Ferry
    2013 – Canoe Labyrinth Canyon
    2013 – Teton Crest
    2014 – Four Pass Loop around Maroon Bells (still waiting for approval)

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

Eric-
    I did this hike (CCW) last summer with my 18 year-old Eagle and a couple of his buddies. Don't mean to be a downer but some SA for you…
    -Lots of people, especially around Snowmass Lake. Probably 50+ camping there…
    -Very few campsites for groups of more than 2 or 3 tents so you'll need to stake your claim early or be prepared to be creative.
    -We hiked the loop in 2.5 days. Originally planned to spend night #3 along West Maroon Creek but just too many day hikers so we opted for a long day to get out.
    -The hike offers some tremendous views but has also exploded in popularity. Consider doing the loop from some alternative entry points to avoid some of the crowds.
    -Water and wildflowers are plentiful… As were the porcupines.

It was a beautiful hike but we weren't prepared for the number of people we would encounter. If that doesn't bother you, go for it!
    -Dan

Here's looking back down on Snowmass Lake, morning Day 2…Snowmass Lake

Eric Johnson
    BPL Member

@unimog

Locale: Utah

Dan, Thanks for the great feedback! We were planning on crowds close to the entrance, but frankly hoping for fewer people on the backside. We will have several strong 16-18 year olds, so doing long days or adjusting for weather or campsites won't be any problem. I hadn't considered entering at other trailheads – I'll investigate that. I've been looking for first-hand beta with not many responses, so I really appreciate the comments!

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

Where are the Sawtooths in Washington? I've heard of the range in Idaho, but not Washington.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"question for Tad"

Or a question for google:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recarea/?recid=79433

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Bob, Doug beat me to the post.

It is much smaller than the Idaho version, but spectacular none the less, and some good fishing too.

Brian Reyman
    BPL Member

@breyman

Locale: Rocky Mountains

This summer – our troop's first 50-miler in a number of years. A stretch of the Colorado Trail just south of Leadville, Colorado.

JC Root
    BPL Member

@evilroot

Locale: Central Oregon

Look up Troop 90 out of Bend, Oregon, Three Sisters are right in our back yard and we hike them every year. Some well worn trails around the 3 sisters and some great peaks to scale and tons of other activities for the Scouts in the local area. Everything from caving, mountain biking, rafting, paint-balling, swimming, tube floating etc…

Just shoot me a PM if you need any help on logistics or questions

JC Root
    Asst Scoutmaster Troop 90

JC Root
    BPL Member

@evilroot

Locale: Central Oregon

Feb-Camp Makuall ski in ( cancelled lack of snow the East Coast took it all)
    Mar-New Scouts camping skills evaluation camp-out
    April-New Scouts backpacking skills evaluation camp-out
    May-Camporee at Camp Makulla
    June-Aquatic camp-out One of the high lakes in the cascades
    July-Philmont Trip for older boys and Camp Melita in Montana for summer camp for the younger boys.
    Aug-Cascades mountain backpacking trip usually 2 trip one for the older Scouts and one for the younger Scouts
    Sep-High Desert Backpacking trip
    Oct-Weblos Woods camp out
    Nov-Badlands backpacking trip or canoe trip
    Dec- Christmas Tree SalesSpine of the Strawberry Mountain 2012

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Bob,
    Is that Seven Devils, ID? Just curious–what route did you use for 50 miles? Loop? Mostly on-trail or off?

George Ramsdell
    BPL Member

@ghramsdell

We are going to Camp Parsons (we signed up in August -no waiting period)

* March – Shooting Day at Camp Piggot with camping
    * April – Ancient Lakes backpacking trip
    * May – Cycling Centennial Trail and Family BBQ
    * June – 2 night Backpacking trip along Baker Lake
    * July – 4 night Backpacking trip Bridge Creek Trail (PCT) to Stehekin.
    * Aug – Camp Parsons
    * Sep – Trying to get some lottery slots to go to Colchuck Lake

Jeff Gray

@jeffgray

Eric,

Can you share any insight on the Teton Crest trip? Our troop is headed out in July and would welcome any up to date info.

I should be set up to receive PMs.

thanks

Jeff

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Some impressive trips planned!

We are in Charlotte – one outing per month generally speaking. October and beyond is not posted yet (we vote at the end of the school year).

So:

This year is (was)

Jan – Lost Sea Cave, TN – spelunking
    Feb – Turkey Pen Gap, NC – backpacking
    Mar – Wilson Creek, NC – backpacking
    Apr – Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands, VA – backpacking
    May – Sea Island, Georgia – sea kayaking
    June – James River, VA (super scout multi day trip) – canoeing
    July – Camp Grimes scout camp
    August – Huntington Beach State Park, SC – deep sea fishing
    September – Shining Rock Wilderness, NC – backpacking

Vincent Lauricella

@1776sm

Phillip

Has your troop ever been to Camp Durant? We have a group going there at the end of July for a second week of summer camp.

Thanks,
    Vince

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Vince – I don't believe so – we've gone to Grimes every year as far as I know… I can ask around at the next meeting however! Troop has been in existence since 1966 or so with a fair number of multi decade participants so it is possible!

Monique Schaefers
    BPL Member

@moniquews

Locale: PNW

My two boys – 17 and 11 are in Boy Scouts. My older two kids – 17b and 14g are in Venture Crew.

March – Redwoods, 35 miles, VC
    April – Rogue River Trail, 50 miles, VC
    June – Souther Oregon Coast, 52 miles, BS
    July – Middle Sister summit, 32 miles, BS (French Scout joined us)
    August – Jefferson Wilderness out of Camp Pioneer, 66 miles, BS and VC

Every month (except December and January) there is at least one backpack trip and one car camping trip with the Boy Scouts offered each month. Mileage varies between 6 miles and 25 miles. The Venture Crew does one a month in June, July, August. Mileage is 25-100 miles. They do lots of canoeing, kayaking, climbing, shooting the rest of the time.

ElizabethK
    BPL Member

@elizabethk

Locale: Southern California

Our Girl Scout troop is nicknamed "Shark Bait" and is a large multi-age troop encompassing grades 6-12 (Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors). We are based in Palos Verdes, in Southern California (Los Angeles metro area).

Our troop's first backpacking trip was last September at Topanga State Park.

In March we did a Friday night hike from Altadena up to Henninger Flats trail camp, where on Saturday Ranger Johan Lockard led an excellent nature hike, and guided the girls as they did a trail maintenance service project.

In June we will be backpacking in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. Each backpacking trip has gotten a little more challenging and we have about 8 girls and 2-3 adults on each trip.

Our troop provides high quality lightweight backpacks (such as REI Flash 50), Z-rest pads, MSR canister stoves and cook sets, and REI Half-dome tents. Girls just need to provide sturdy trail shoes, sleeping bag, and personal gear. I borrow the backpacks, stoves, and Z-rest pads from the Hermosa Beach T860 Boy Scout Troop but someday we'd like to build up Shark Bait's backpacking gear stock. Our troop is actively recruiting adventurous girls, and we draw members from several area cities.

Kevin Garrison
    BPL Member

@kgarrison

Locale: SF Bay Area

For those contemplating backpack ventures in Idaho, I would recommend the following trip ideas for scouts:

Hell’s Canyon on Idaho/Oregon border (50-65 miler),

Sawtooth traverse from Redfish Lake, thru Cramer lake area, and exit at Alturas Lake (40-50 miles depending on route with a fun cross country option past Heart Lake),

Big Horn Crags–Ship Island Lake loop (25-50 miles depending on chosen loop and side trips),

The Middle Fork of Salmon Trail (100 miles) for ambitious Venture Crews.  Incredible views, tons of hot springs, and lots of fun watching rafters take on some of the best white water in N. America.

I would avoid the very popular Sawtooth Lake-Grand Jean loop as it can be crowded with trail runners, day hikers and other backpackers and long sections of the trail can be brushy and boring.

The White Clouds and Boulder mountains also offer many 2-5 days options thru absolutely spectacular country which rarely see much traffic.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools