Topic

Which shoes to wear? Twinges in ankles….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Which shoes to wear? Twinges in ankles….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    M.C .

@trekingma

[Sorry – posted in wrong forum – moving this to 'Gear'.]

I usually hike in the Southern California hills in my NB running shoes but we are backpacking in a couple of weeks in Big Bend NP (desert level, off trail, lots of arroyos and loose rock, some mountain trails) so I switched to a NB 889 trail runner/hiking shoes.

The new shoes have a rock guard, tougher sole, etc… which will be more protective but there have been some sharp twinges in my ankles just walking around the house barefoot (never had these before).

Do I wear the older running shoes – knowing I will feel every rock, or just assume the new shoes will break in and the twinges will go away? Trip starts in 8 days so ostensibly there is time to soften/break-in the trail runners.

Thanks for your help.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Doesn't sound good to me. It's more like you feet need to break into the shoes! I haven't bought a pair of synthetic shoes that needed a break in: they worked or they didn't and I knew in the first mile or two.

A week isn't enough time to recover if they hurt your feet in the interim. That and getting into the middle of nowhere with shoes that hurt would really suck. I would start over immediately.

If you have a brand that has worked for you, start there. Each brand *tends* to use similar volume lasts. It *sounds* like you got something that doesn't work for the pronation of your feet and I would investigate from there. You may find pronation ratings for the shoes you have used successfully and compare to the ones you have. Some running stores have staff with the experience to analogize your gait and make good recommendations. You might get away with using better insoles.

I got a pair of Patagonia Drifter AC shoes last summer. I have low volume feet and other issues. They really give good rock protection, which is what I was after. They aren't waterproof and dry faster, but you can get waterproof versions if you prefer.

Of late I've been using a pair of Merrell CTR Cruise shoes with orange Superfeet for daily exercise walking and I like the combo. Merrell insoles are super wimpy, IMHO.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Your idea that 'the new shoes will break in' is probably a bit off the mark. That is a very old idea based on leather shoes which could adapt when the leather got damp. Modern injection-molded joggers don't do that.

Not sure why the twinges will go away when the shoes have had some wear. Seems like the twinges are in your ankles, not in the shoes.

The 889s are good shoes, with a very reliable Vibram sole.

Your call.
    Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"The 889s are good shoes, with a very reliable Vibram sole."

Everyone has an opinion I have those shoes as well. Meh. The sole is wearing at the same rate as any other trail shoe I've bought in the last ten years. I don't find them comfortable for walking either. Too hot . Takes too long to dry.

But if you new shoes don't feel great right away they are not the shoe for you.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I've cut more than one pair of shoes that caused twinges in ankles (if we're talking about the same thing . . .twing is not exactly a technical term). I have really sensitive tendons and I can't handle anything rubbing on them – sometimes "low cut" isn't low enough. I don't take any chances anymore – I go at 'em with a knife and make them lower. Or I give them away.

Troy Childs

@tchilds

You are having circulation issues and or pre diabetic symptoms. Go to doctor and get a physical.

Oh yeah, drink more water too. I got this issue with my barefoot hiking until I found out I wasn't drinking enough water, at all. Joint supplements will help too. Don't take supplements though until you get your blood sugar checked.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools