Topic

Awesome Conquistador Beer Can

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Awesome Conquistador Beer Can

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I thought for sure Bob would know :-)

Anybody from the GGG get a free stove?

Hey J.Abela, you can use the lantern on your upcoming adventure. Sorry I didn't have time to weld a ring on top of it so you can place your small cuppa tea on it to keep warm while you read by the light of the lantern. Gotta love dual purpose gear ;-)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

This past weekend I received a generous amount of cans shipped in from the Mission Brewery in San Diego CA. Now that I have them in good quantities I'm good to go.

This project is alive and well.

The large Starlyte Stove works well to support the large can that contains 3.250 cups of water. Good size for 2 person cooking needs.

Today I'm assembling some aluminum windscreens for the kits. I've come up with a closure that is working out just fine.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Miller also makes 32 oz cans of the same diameter as the Foster's cans. Much cheaper than Conquistador if you're buying the cans full, but probably not as cheap as if you're able to get the cans empty direct from the manufacturer and certainly not as cool looking. About a year ago I special-ordered a couple cases of the Miller at my local liquor store, and I assume Miller is available nationwide. I wire-brush the cans to remove the graphics and absorb heat better.

miller

[edited to add photo]

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I was lucky enough to get a test can from Dan, along with the larger burner. His instructions were to basically "test the $h!t out of it", which I have been doing. Testing locations are my garage, the Oregon coast and several overnight winter trips. I have found that the larger stove lasts for over 35 mins with three ounces of alcohol (HEET), is super easy to light with the new wick system Zelph has installed, and is probably better suited to two person trips/cooking. I love the AC/BC pot, don't get me wrong, it's just that for a solo hiker doing boil-in-bag meals, it's just a bit of overkill. I think the AC/BC pot would be better utilized in a caldera cone set up, rather than the way I had to use it, with a windscreen only. I am sure much of the heat was allowed to escape up the sides in my system. Another thing, I suggest adding the stainless steel bottom to the AC/BC can, rather than the "Pringles" type pop-top bottom. It just felt tippy on the stove stand/legs and also seemed a bit flimsy. Adding a better bottom would be a good trade off, strength for weight. All that said, this will be my new go to system when backpacking with another person or group. I suggest, also, that Dan make a smaller version, cut down to Heinie pot size for us solo hikers.

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

One area where the new larger stove really shines is in a Backcountry Boiler. With three ounces of alcohol, I ended up with a two foot flame out the top and boil times of 3 mins, 49 seconds. All done very unscientifically in my garage, of course. Note: these tests were done during 20 degree weather in Oregon during late January/early Feb. Alcohol was air temp, as well as the water in the Backcountry Boiler. The wick on the new stove really worked well, here, as I could wet it when filling the stove and place it sticking out the air hole on the bottom, ready for a quick light. With just 1 ounce of alcohol, boil times were averaging around the 4.5 to 6.5 min marks at 20-30 degrees. Very acceptable.

b

b

b

a

a

a

a

a

All in all, I believe Dan has a real winner on his hands with the new, larger capacity stove and the AC/BC pot. The pot alone is just the coolest looking thing on the market. Get a caldera cone for it, or cut it down a bit to Heinie can dimensions and it will be perfect! Thanks, Dan, for letting me test them for you!

Matt

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

David, your brushed can is going to look dog ugly in a couple of weeks of usage because you removed the protective coating. Now you have raw aluminum exposed to oxidation.

I have seen your tests between brushed and not brushed. Please don't post your test results in this thread.

Please don't post photos of your ridged cans here in this thread. I want to focus on the awesome graphics of the conquistador and it's ability to be part of a great cook kit.

The graphics certainly look better than a raw aluminum can.

I certainly wish you well on Etsy selling your brushed aluminum cans and things. And ALSO HERE ON BPL IN THE GEAR DEALS section.

Thank you for your photo and reasons for the brushing.

Thank you Matt for giving the pot and stove a workout.

I'll have some test results tomorrow.

The kit I put together consist of a StarLyte stove, a 6" windscreen, a Flat bottom 3 cup conquistador, a 4oz capacity fuel bottle with small flex measuring cup 1oz cap. The plastic screw top container that I sent you will be used as a dual purpose item. The two halves can be used as a bowl and cup and then used as a storage container for the pot and goodies. The kit weighs 6.3oz.

1 ounce of fuel in the regular Starlyte stove will boil 3 cups and continue the boil for 1 min. The new windscreen design helps greatly towards efficiency.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Dan,
    Any plans on making a smaller, cut down version of the AC/BC? With a ss bottom? I'd gladly pay for that one ;)

M

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Yes, I'm going to make some 2 cup flat bottom(steel) with original can top. Keeping the original top gives the can maximum strength.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Sweet! Put me down for one, maybe two. When are you adding them to your site?

Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

I have had the bigger kit for some time, and I freaking love it! It is super light, and very versatile. I have marked one of the plastic tubes it is held in with a one cup, and two cup mark. I use the plastic tubes for drinking out of at camp, and I nest my ziplock inside the other tube for easy eating after rehydrating my food. Great kit, with multiple uses! c

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools