Topic

Awesome Conquistador Beer Can

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Awesome Conquistador Beer Can

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

A while back I found this new can online. Had to get me some to experiment with. It's 32 ounce capacity.

They are only available out west in California.

It's a guy thing….pirates, skulls and cross bones, shipwrecks whooooo!

I really like the green one….which do you like?

The brewery calls them "canons" :-)

They are tall but putting ridge lines on them really strengthens them.

photo bb7a09f6-8a93-440e-8816-4790daf3f8c6_zpsbce363e9.jpg

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I like the Black one. Do they have flat bottoms or did you add that?

Travis W
    Spectator

@lobopac

Locale: Central Valley, CA

While not a beer can pot user yet, I am a fan of craft brew in cans. I'm digging the green Conquistador can on a purely aesthetic standpoint….the black is pretty cool also.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Love 'em both. Put some ridges on them with a custom lid and throw them up on your site so we can buy them, already! I'll take two, one of each. You can call them your AC/BC pot (Awesome Conquistador Beer Can).

Matt

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

AC/BC…..I like it :-) short and to the point.

The photos don't do justice for the graphics. The green is metallic emerald type and lots of shiny mirror finish around the head and helmet. When I first saw it I couldn't resist, had to have some cans to experiment with. 32oz is much taller than the Foster 24oz.

I had to redo my fixture for applying the ridges. I added the flat bottom. The original bottom is just like the bottom on most large beer/energy drink cans.

I couldn't find it in my heart to make the can shorter. The graphics are too nice to go shorter. I'll use them for heating 3 cups of water. 2 for my Mountain House meals. I'm a big guy and eat big :-) so 2 cups for my meal and one for a hot drink. It works for me.

The price per can of this craft brewed ale is $6.00+tax pricey stuff for a non-drinker. A friend of mine living in San Diego purchased a couple of cases for me. He did enjoy the taste of the two different brews ;) He prefers the black "shipwrecked" taste and can. I'm an "Emerald Green" lover.

A while back I saw that trail Designs had nice dual purpose plastic containers for protecting their Foster Cans and cone. They indicated that half the container could be used to eat out of. I ordered some from them. I was well pleased to see how durable they were for such light weight containers. The height of the container was just right for the height of the AC/BC can.

My wife is always right there when I'm all bubbly about a new kit I put together :-)))) 1st question she asks….can I have a kit? I kid you not!!!! it's the first thing she says. She likes having kits in the trunk of the car for spontaneous stop offs at the local parks for lunch/dinner. Mountainhouse meals are always in the trunk along with bottled water.

The base price of the can is high. I'm not sure if the market demand could justify the selling price if I come to that point.

Thanks for your input on preference of can color:-)

photo 8b0286b6-bb06-4f6a-b8cc-746e3069b11b_zps58fb5d32.jpg

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Dan, do you need help emptying the cans?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Yes Delmar only if you live in CA near a store that sells it. Google Mission Brewery and see their store locations. Look up in the left hand corner of their home page. There is a "can" icon to click on. I looks like the 32oz cannons are not sold out of state.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

Available in Colorado, too.

cody yochum
    Spectator

@uclacody0908

Locale: Nor Cal

Do the plastic covers cover the whole can plus lid? Would be a nice step up from the fosters can. Have you came to a selling price yet?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hello Cody, I first have to establish a secure source for the cans before I can establish a price. I sent 2 ridged cans to the owner of Mission Brewery for his approval/disapproval. Just have to wait and see if he responds.

Today I'm going to create a can for my Caldera Cone. I'll put the ridgeline in the appropriate place. In the past I have made various size burners in the style of the StarLyte. I used Budlite aluminum bottles and also Venom Energy Drink bottles as the base container.

Glad you're interested in the new size can. I'll try and speed up the process.

Yes, the new size can fits in the plastic container with about 1" headroom. I have 1/2 dozen of the containers on hand.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

That's what HE said. anyway, I like them both, the double IPA / shipwrecked best. Want my empties? I will send you six or so later this month.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Brian my friend :-)

Yes, for sure, send me your empties. In return I'll send one back with ridges applied and top removed with side cutter. Good trade! :-)

Here is what the can looks like in my Caldera Cone for keg. I originally purchased my keg from anigravity gear. Also shown is a burner made from a Venom energy drink bottle. Along side of it is the Modified StarLyte currently being supplied with the TD Sidewinders. The larger burner should work well when heating a full can of water. The 12-10 burner should also work well.

photo MissionBrewry10_zpsa7b9dab9.jpg

Travis W
    Spectator

@lobopac

Locale: Central Valley, CA

If I can find it locally (NorCal) I'll gladly send you some empties. The "beer finder" on Mission's site says it is in some local BevMo. I'll check it out and let you know.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Found it locally — bottles only. Sorry Dan. I don't think stoves from bottles will work too well.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Our Costco carries these beers. I have to admit that I'm not much of a canned-beer fan and, with the price for a case of Ballast Point beers not much more than a can of this grog… I've been bypassing it.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

"Delmar", the graphics on the bottles are also awesome :-)

"Erik", I can understand where you're coming from :-)

When I was in the service stationed in France my beer of choice was Heineken in the bottle. I was also introduced to room temperature beer in Germany and England. Dark, heavy beers were interesting but hard to get used to. Todays Micro-Brewery beers are really getting popular.

The Heineken Keg is what started the light weight aluminum trend for backpacking….a dual purpose can of sorts.

Aluminum and Titanium. The color of titanium reminds me of the colors seen in the Army…..blah!!!

Now when we look at aluminum we see:

photo MissionBrewry10001_zps0a160500.jpg

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Enough got it. Two down four or five and it'll be worth shipping. Say one week from today. I'll take a pot but only if you let me send you 12. You've kindly shipped me more than one of y.our creations free of charge. Glad to support Zeloh and Wood-Gaz.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Take your time…..enjoy the beer while watching the game today.

If anyone else out there wants their cans re-purposed let me know.

I've had some requests so I'll make some available tomorrow afternoon.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Looking forward to it, Dan.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Give me your address in a pm and I'll ship it out first thing in the AM when I go to the post office with a large order going to Japan. Pay me later :-)

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Dan,
    PM sent. Thanks for the awesome service and very generous offer to ship BEFORE receiving payment!

M

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Mathew, I included one of these 2oz fuel capacity stoves to test. It's made in the same style as the StarLyte stove. Should be big enough to boil a full 3.5 cups of water in the AC/BC

It shipped today so you can get by the weekend.

photo MissionBrewry10A001_zps0110931d.jpg

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Dan,

g

I'll test it in the AC/BC set up and also use it in my Backcountry Boiler. Thanks!

Matt

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Bigfoot2, you'll be cookin big time :-) Put a steel disc on the pot support to direct the flames towards the wall of the Backcountry Boiler. Should work just fine.

Take a look at these borrowed photos of Lee (Trail Designs)kickin back boiling water for the folks at this years GGG gathering in CA. He's using what looks like the 32oz Monster energy drink cans. Looks like they are in the regular cone made for the Foster's can. Maybe someone can fill us in on some specifics of what Lee was using, the 12-10 or Esbit. HEET or Denatured.

photo ggglee_zpsffb8b2dd.jpg

photo leeggg_zpsde2dd5f2.jpg

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I'm still looking for some feedback on the cans and fuel used by TD in the photos.

Being that TD is in California, I suspect they will start to use the Conquistador cans soon ;-) Next year you'll see Lee with the cool Conquistador can sitting in the Caldera Cones.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools