Topic

Kid’s sauce packets = UL containers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Kid’s sauce packets = UL containers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Epp

@rush2112

Locale: Southwest British Columbia

3.2oz mylar packet weighing 5gr

Been lurking for awhile and finally decided to buy a forum membership. My 3 year old loves these sauce packets but I'm loving the collapsible containers the sauce comes in. I have around 20 of these that I washed and sanitized when emptied. I imagine they should be great for sunscreen, cooking oil or even a nice nip of scotch.
    Most of the kid's sauce packets I've run across have those huge plastic caps but these are nice and small. At 5 grams, these things look to be a nice combinjation between lightweight and durability.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've used a few of these, and they hold up well for liquids. There is also a similar version that holds 4 ounces of product. You could probably use one for white gasoline or denatured alcohol.

If you get one with the bulky cap, study it and you will see that you can cut off about 90% of it and end up with the small cap.

–B.G.–

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Welcome to BPL!

They sure are light and useful.

I went to your site and WOW you take some awesome pics!!

Timothy Epp

@rush2112

Locale: Southwest British Columbia

Thanks Todd and good to know Bob, I hadn't though tof cutting down the bulkiness of the screw top.

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

welcome Timothy.

your photography is Ridiculously good. i love the 3 Sisters Wilderness shots.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Tony Wong told me about these this weekend. He said there's a trader Joe's brand that's good for olive oil. I did not have a good mental picture of this "Capri-Sun" like product, but now I do. I agree with Bob, perfect for a little fuel and not easily confused like an 8 oz spring water bottle.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I agree with Bob, perfect for a little fuel and not easily confused like an 8 oz spring water bottle."

I wouldn't want to confuse the contents with the original product, so I obscure the colorful printing with marking from a black sharpie.

–B.G.–

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I had a cap crack on one when tightened reasonably tight.
    After that, I wouldnt trust them for alcohol use.

James Volk
    BPL Member

@h2oboy007

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use the boobie bags (http://smuggleyourbooze.com/buy.php) for fuel on my TATO gear stove. I haven't had any issue. I actually started off with applesauce containers very similar to what you show in the picture, I went to the boobie bags b/c they were clear and I could see the liquid inside. Put a couple of drops of food coloring into your d-alcohol fuel and you're all set. For lotions I use the melted straw section method. I guess it depends on how much you need and how long you'll be out.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I find that the melted straw sections work good, but they are too small in diameter for some stuff that I carry. I need plastic straws that are large enough to handle a standard aspirin tablet.

–B.G.–

Rebecca Audette

@beckyinma

Locale: Wicked northern, Massachusetts

asian stores, and some international groceries carry 'Bubble Tea' straws. They are about 1/2" in diameter, because the bubble tea you get in Chinatown has huge flavored tapioca pearls. Good stuff. They would be great for larger pills and larger quantities of lotions etc. They're cheap too, like $2 for 30 straws.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

Nobody's talked about this yet, but I had a lot of trouble filling these up with alcohol at first. I tried a lot of different makeshift funnels, most of which ended up with at least half the fuel in the sink. Rather than seeking out a perfectly fitting funnel I used what I already had, which is an irrigation syringe. Mine is 10ml, so three full draws is about 1 oz. Works quite well.

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Locale: SoCal

"I agree with Bob, perfect for a little fuel and not easily confused like an 8 oz spring water bottle."

I wouldn't want to confuse the contents with the original product, so I obscure the colorful printing with marking from a black sharpie.

–B.G.–

For the last couple years, I've been using a drop of green food coloring in my alcohol bottle. One drop lasts me about a year's worth of fuel (about 30-40 days of backpacking).

Now there is no way anyone will confuse the green liquid for potable water.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Now there is no way anyone will confuse the green liquid for potable water."

Except that while the dyed liquid is inside the container, you can't see any color. Some people will try to swig from the container.

–B.G.–

Adrien Baker

@adrienbaker

Locale: Kern County
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I tried the apple sauce packets from Trader Joes and they definitely are not leak tight after they have been open. The cap is different from the cap in the OP…. Just an FYI

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

If anyone is looking for something a fair bit larger than these but in the same style, I found that Capri Sun has a "Big Pouch" that is roughly the same construction with a small twist cap. They hold a little over 11 fl oz, so roughly 3 times the size of the small packets. I haven't found a use for them myself yet, but thought I'd pass it along. BTW, I found them at Walmart, but I'm sure they'll be at most grocers.
    capri sun bottle

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

If anyone wants an even bigger version than the capri sun, I found Heinz Ketchup in one of these! I don't recall the size, but it looked potentially useful.

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

I've got a Capri Sun pouch that I choked down the contents of(couldn't waste it) and have washed it numerous times and it still smells quite strong of nasty juice. I had hoped to refill it with nutella for a longer hike this summer but if I can't get the nasty smell out I need to find another container. Perfect size though.

Erica Napolitano
    Spectator

@naperica

Locale: Northeast

Speaking of nutella…..these could be a great vessel for PB……..and cheaper than those individual little packs.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

GSI Outdoors has 2 ounce soft sided bottles for use with condiments:

GSI link

they have a couple of different cap options, depending on your taste.

I second the use of a syringe to fill these things, much easier than a funnel. If someone has access to a well-stocked feed store, look for "teat cannula" in the food animal section. Basically like a plastic non-pointy needle that goes on the end of the syringe, makes it easier to insert deeper into a bottle.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools