Topic

SUL Backpacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

priorities

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Hmmm, I have always wanted to write a review for BPL. My supervisors have always wanted me to submit. Tough call!

matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

Locale: southern appalachians

Hey guys,

Thanks for your orders and I too can't wait to have you get the pack and try it out. 1000s of orders?!? Not quite, but I am indeed busy getting the small quantity of kits together to ship out.

RE Velcro bandoleer gear: In several thousands of miles with my original mesh pack, I've only had a canister come off on the first day of this one adventure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyWf01WbFL0&feature=youtu.be

I was going through a pretty densely overgrown rhododendron tunnel and a branch must have hooked it right off. I didn't realize it was missing until about half a mile down the trail, at which time I decided to return to look for it (very important b/c it contained my fire starter kit!).

I think the key is to make sure you get as much contact with the hook and loop as possible and not carry items that are too heavy or bulky. I also fell into the habit of performing a pat down when putting my pack back on just to make sure everything is in its right place. I know every one has their individual styles. For me, this system works.

RE the stove system: when contemplating offering the SBSBS as part of the pack kit, I considered heading over to the 3 Japanese restaurants in town to ask if I could raid their recycling bin for the tapered Sapporo cans which make up the side walls of the design. For a few good reasons, I've left the SBSBS project completely up to others to undertake, but would love to hear about how yours comes together and would be happy to help in whatever way I can. Cheers!

Steven Maxfield
    BPL Member

@fredmax56

Locale: New England

I placed my order at quarter pass twelve this morning so as not to miss out on getting one of these great packs. I think I must have been one of the first person to place my order. I cannot wait to get this great pack. I also plan to make one using Matt's patterns and instructions. It should be a fun endeavor. I will keep you posted on my progress.
    Fred

Damian Chavez
    Spectator

@damianc

Locale: Southern California

My Sub 60 arrived today. I put it all together and I have a feeling this is the beginning of a great relationship. I'll probably take it for a run tomorrow. Wears like a running vest.

Thanks for the great design and fair price, Matt.

matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

Damian,

Glad to hear the pack got to you and I look forward to getting your feedback. The first small production run is nearly depleted. One of the benefits of operating on such a small local scale is the ability for the design to evolve quickly. So please share your feedback here at BPL, or better yet: http://sub60.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Pack

Happy trails!

Todd Hein
    BPL Member

@todd1960

Locale: Front Range

I received my pack too. Very innovative. I look forward to using it. I'd say that one good use would be as a pack for kids to grow into or used by Scout troops and shared.

Steven Maxfield
    BPL Member

@fredmax56

Locale: New England

My pack arrived today also. I cannot wait to get out with it for a trial run.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Scouts is an interesting option. The infinite adjustability and low price/cheap parts replacement are big bonuses. Also the Scouts get a bit of easy MYOG action in there.

How it carries with weight is the critical thing for them though. Not every Scout can afford to get their gear down to an SUL load. Though I guess if the troop has a supply of Synthetic quilts and good group shelters and cooking gear you are halfway there.

Hmmm…

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I don't usually read or post in this forum but I couldn't resist the topic.

Hears a link to a sub 8 ounce myog frame pack.

FRAMEPACK

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Got my pack finally in the mail today (not Matt's fault, I had it packed at a warehouse in CA with other gear before shipping onwards to Japan). Pull out all the pieces. Wow.

I'm really impressed!

Quality of workmanship: 10/10. I can't fault a single stitch.
    Design: So far, 9/10. There are a couple of minor things I would have done differently myself, however I haven't had a chance to put it together yet and try it out. My views on this might change.
    Materials: Fantastic. The mesh is far, far nicer than I imagined it would be, as is all the notions like the edging tapes. Matt's video quality doesn't do it justice ;-)

There's something about receiving a whole pack in an A4 envelope. Wow.

Think I'll knock off early today and take it home.

The mesh and ties concept has so much potential. For example, if I need a bit more weight handling capability, I could probably figure out a way of putting in a stay or two, as well as/and/or a pad holster. And those things would easily be removeable, even during a trip, if I want, without spoiling the pack with even a single stitch hole.

I might modify it with another pack opening on the top. I can see this being useful sometimes. However I'll make it small-only a bit bigger than what I need to get my hand in/out of. So for pulling things in/out like small clothes, poncho etc.

I might also put on a second waist belt, at the bottom of the mesh waist wing pockets. I think this could be done without having to stitch at all, and would make it hug my hips a little better at little extra weight. The second one could probably just be made of shock cord and mini biner. Will see how I go.

Incredible pack Matt, incredible.

After I have a bit of experience with it (definitely thinking 12hour rogaine in early May…the mesh is much tougher than I expected, should handle it no worries), I'll try and do a review, maybe with some video.

matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

Adam,

Glad the pack finally arrived to you and I look forward to feedback, some of which has already been applied to improving the kit. I encourage you to post to the sub60 discussion forum and I'm working to relay feedback I get here: http://sub60.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Pack

The kits have sold out, but there was enough mesh leftover on the roll for several more kits, which I hope to have ready by next week. Based on the feedback posted on the forum I plan to include an additional length of 3/32" shock cord and four curly locks to be used to provide tension on the strap/pack openings. This is based on some very useful feedback that you can read on the above link.

There has been some frustration expressed in the threading of the twist ties through the mesh and I understand that these can be tedious steps. One tester resorted to zip ties, which was the original idea for the design, but I couldn't live with promoting these one-time use plastic components. I think I will stick with the twist ties for now, although they are not ideal.

Other ideas/suggestions are welcome! I've enjoyed getting to know several kindred spirits throughout this country and beyond through my small entrepreneurial experiment. More than anything, I hope that this kit, in whatever manifestation/modification/mutation helps lead you to some great adventure!

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools