Topic

Japanese bidet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Japanese bidet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

er… bidet or not, I really don't think that thing would generate enough water pressure to remove a smear of poo from your butt… not completely anyway…

and, like another poster pointed out, just imagine the poo contaminated water dripping down your legs and onto your undies… not good.

If it's for bathing, that's another story. But why take the extra weight when you can just poke holes in an extra cap for a Platypus bladder and squeeze that instead?

Billy

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^^^
    What Billy Ray said.

I am not worried …..and none of this is "life threatening" ……..I love a bidet at home …

No need to start another war here. HYOK as they say :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"er… bidet or not, I really don't think that thing would generate enough water pressure to remove a smear of poo from your butt… not completely anyway…'

You have a point there.
    The pressure of a fire hydrant is needed for that but I am sick of getting funny looks from firemen every time I ask for a hose down .

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Franco… careful which fireman you ask…
    he might think you are asking for a different kind of 'hosing'

billy

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

The Japanese cart these pocket bidets around in cities. It's not even a backpacking-specific item for them. That's just how they do it.

Really? I don't know a single Japanese who uses this. Have never even heard of it or seen it until this thread. And I spend A LOT of time with Japanese people, including having lived with three Japanese, and doing lots of hiking and traveling with them and staying at hotels, huts, and campsites with them, where we all see one another's belongings. Most women in the cities prefer not to carry a lot of things with them, prefer things to be compact and small, and I can't imagine anyone carrying this big thing around. This doesn't take away from the usefulness of this item, though.

At last, the secret dream of every woman fulfilled: The ability to pee standing up.

Er, that would go to this product, which is more popular in Europe than in the States.

Shewee

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

If you have clingons, the local shrubbery can take care of that before the wash and rinse.

I don't know that Japanese folks need these in Japan, but I think they might use them when traveling.

By the way, I work at a university and sometimes I see footprints on the toilet seats.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Here's how dudes use a bidet:

Manly bidet

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Er, that would go to this product,"

I stand corrected. ;0)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"By the way, I work at a university and sometimes I see footprints on the toilet seats."

There are people who are just as confused when they first see a western toilet as I was when I saw my first squatty potty, kettle of water, and an absence of toilet paper in SW Asia.

The toilets near one of the temples in Cambodia had a hose next to it for undercarriage cleaning along with some instructions:

Potty instructions.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Redd Foxx said it best: NSFW

He also briefly mentions binoculars.

Redacted k
    Spectator

@some-schmo

I have experimented with the Boulder Bidet for backpacking. It works 85%. I still bring paper, but much less. Hygiene is much improved. The paper is used to check that you are clean.

The setup weighs less than a full roll of paper, and there is less to either bury or pack out.

The trick is practicing, this is not something to rely on or expect to work without practice. Biggest advice, squeeze the bottle as hard as possible and learn how to aim it.

I bought 2, and one lives in the bottom drawer at work. This keeps me clean and in practice.

Putting this back in your pack sound dirty? You are supposed to wash it with soap and water, same as you are supposed to do with your hands.

The Boulder Bidet website is useful to teach you about it, and the concept. Available there and Amazon, about $15.

There is something similar that slips into the neck of a disposable water bottle, called Hygienna Solo. I ordered one of those as well, and I can say that it is utterly awful.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Phew! For a moment I thought he was going to mistake it for a drinking fountain…"

If you get drunk enough…..

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't know, but I think that this entire thread is in the toilet.

–B.G.–

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

Here is an illustration of cultural differences: a photo of the Sochi Bathroom Instructions

Sochi Toliet Instructions

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Then the company cared when one dude slipped and fell off the summit of Mount Porcelain."

Was he able to self arrest before falling to his death?

–B.G.–

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I don't know, but I think that this entire thread is in the toilet."

Nah. Just the beer.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Please… Nobody tell me. I have to declare my Sawyer-mini straw as multi-use now!

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools