Topic

Japanese bidet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Japanese bidet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

A friend of mine from Japan sent me this bidet. I was able to use it on a trip this weekend. It's maybe not the lightest or smallest thing you can use, but it was effective, which is possibly more important. Good aim, strong flow. No need for toilet paper.

Japanese clean wash bidet

I believe you can find this or similar products on Amazon.

Since I saw a LOT of toilet paper on my 2-night hike, I felt I should put this out there for those looking for an alternative to toilet paper and an easier way to go leave no trace with your toileting business. Millions of Japanese germaphobes can't be wrong.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Does that thing come with a video on how to use it?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

There is a video online if you search Amazon for this product. Basically that long thin thing is pulled out from the bottle until it snaps into the extended position. When you squeeze the bottle, a stream of water comes out the end. There are two nozzles to choose from, one for "men" and one for "women". You twist to get either one. The "men" one is a straight stream and the "women" one is a scattered stream. I suppose more accurately, if you are a woman anyway, one is for poo and the other for pee?

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Uh…. I was joking.

I do NOT want to watch someone use that thing.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Backcountry Poo Clinic

Skip to 4:50 for the Backcountry Bidet.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That is not a bidet.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Katherina, I'm scratching my head, Don't understand what you mean. It's the closest thing to a portable bidet that I can think of. Unless you mean in the video?

I'd never seen that here, so it's an interesting find. And solves some persistent problems with carrying toilet paper.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I guess I am nit picking, but so few understand what a true bidet is intended for. It is not intended to substitute for toilet paper. If one wants to poop and then squirt water and have that water run down their legs, or something like that, I have no problem with it, but I am not going to do that.
    A bidet is intended to wash one's genitalia, anus and feet when one cannot shower daily, not as a substitute for toilet paper.

Also, a woman may want to be careful not to use it after defecating and accidentally spreading the bacteria forward.

I was raised with one and found it very useful.

Want to call it bidet, fine, I will shut up about it now.

One request though Miguel…….my name…..it's Katharina, not Katherina.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"A bidet is intended to wash one's genitalia, anus and feet when one cannot shower daily, not as a substitute for toilet paper."

Hands down, this site has the BEST lunchtime conversations anywhere!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Hands down, this site has the BEST lunchtime conversations anywhere!"

Especially if one is looking to be turned temporarily bulimic…

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

One request though Miguel…….my name…..it's Katharina, not Katherina.

Oops, have I been getting it wrong all this time? Sorry! Two close friends of my family are called Katherina, so I automatically jumped to that.

As to the bidet… well, I was raised with one, too! And yes, you are right for what it is supposed to be used for. But out in the woods? What else would you call it? Seems appropriate to me. And gets the image across when explaining it to someone.

Doug, squeamish, are we? (^ J ^)/"

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Miguel. Fair enough, bidet it is :)

@Doug
    and Justin……what did you expect on a thread called bidet?
    Grow up ……
    Ok, :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Doug, squeamish, are we? (^ J ^)/""

Heavens no. I'm the one in the office starting conversations like this! Not to many others participate though…..

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Grow up …… "

NO!!!!!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

DAMN YOU TO PERDITION, ROGER!!!

Now I won't be able to look at ketchup and mustard bottles without thinking of bidet. Thanks a lot.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

I'll just leave this here. Bidet

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Daniel

Phew! For a moment I thought he was going to mistake it for a drinking fountain…

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Heavens no. I'm the one in the office starting conversations like this! Not to many others participate though…..

Now THAT'S the Doug we all know and love!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I believe bidet is simply the closest word for it that we have in English. What else are you going to call it?

I do not find that there is water running down your legs or anything like that after using it. One can always dry with a special bandana for the purpose if you feel that a little moisture will be life-threatening. Many women employ a "pee rag" for this purpose, but here's a way to hose off before using the pee rag.

The main benefit to this over other systems is that you get pretty good aim and a fairly decent stream. It holds a lot of water and streams it better than just pouring water from a 20oz gatorade bottle. I have a Lady-J type device that I use and I can slip the nozzle of this thing in and hose myself off and have the water come out the lady-j as a final rinse. Then I can pee with only unzipping my fly, no pulling off my pants or squatting down or anything. Very convenient, especially in rain or mosquitos. The extra rinse makes me smell a little less like a public stairwell.

While going TP-free might not be everybody's cup of tea, I have found it to be very liberating for backpacking. I did 50% of the PCT TP-free and won't go back to it.

The Japanese cart these pocket bidets around in cities. It's not even a backpacking-specific item for them. That's just how they do it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I believe bidet is simply the closest word for it that we have in English. What else are you going to call it?"

My eyesight's going. I thought it was a lightweight Water Pik. I was gonna get one for teeth cleaning in the field.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I have a Lady-J type device that I use and I can slip the nozzle of this thing in and hose myself off and have the water come out the lady-j as a final rinse. Then I can pee with only unzipping my fly, no pulling off my pants or squatting down or anything. "

At last, the secret dream of every woman fulfilled: The ability to pee standing up.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

For as germophobic-anti-bacterial-sanitize-everything as Americans are, I've always been surprised that most wear shoes in the house and don't wash their butts after going to the bathroom. It makes no sense. Briefly living in Japan changed my perspective on this; every toilet in every house I entered was equipped with a bidet- or they had a separate unit.

Maybe dirty butts are what make this country so violent.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools