Topic

Hear ye, Hear ye, any interest in an east coast BPL G.G.G?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Hear ye, Hear ye, any interest in an east coast BPL G.G.G?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi folks,

Decided to just pick a date. The weekend of March 8th and 9th i will be out there. This is the shelter which is south of Calf Mtn shelter–and as earlier mentioned when you park at Rockfish Gap area, it's only about 5 (easy) miles in from there going south. Don't know the name. Hope to see some of you there.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Justin,

1. How many tents do u think this site can accommodate?

2. We should put together a sign up sheet, and then bump this thread periodically to keep it fresh in people's minds

Ryan

Brandon M
    Spectator

@s2bmay

Locale: DC

Of course right after I get excited about this, I get a work trip scheduled. I land back on the east coast at 6AM that Saturday. Depending on how things go, I'm probably going to still try and make it though.

MG – if I do head out there, I would be up for carpooling.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ryan,

I'm going out to that spot this Tuesday, and will be better able to judge the numbers then. I will also take some pics and put them up.

2. Great idea, but have no idea on how to implement that myself. I'm not computer savvy whatsoever.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Mark Heiser

@74kilos

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

That weekend sounds great to me. I usually do my hiking on the Northern end of the park so information on which gate to enter,and directions to parking from there would be helpful for me.

I'll also make myself available for carpooling. I'll be coming from Wilmington, DE.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

"2. Great idea, but have no idea on how to implement that myself. I'm not computer savvy whatsoever.

Thank you for the suggestions."

Yeah, me neither! Maybe someone will jump in that knows what they're doing.

Ryan

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

http://www.google.com/google-d-s/createforms.html

Happy to help set this up for the organisers. Also happy to help with organising details.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That would be great if you could do that M.G. Thank you very much for the offer.

Btw folks, wasn't able to go out to that site today for various reasons, but i plan on getting out there soon (within the next few days or so), and as mentioned will take pics, try to figure out how many tents, etc can fit out there.

As to save space, i will probably bivy it up in the shelter myself, but do plan on bringing some DIY gear, such as Polycryo-Nobul blend tarp, etc.

I'm actually a bit surprised there has been this amount of response already–pretty cool. Looking forward to meeting you all out there.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I'm actually a bit surprised there has been this amount of response already–pretty cool. Looking forward to meeting you all out there."

If you all have a great time Justin you may be overwhelmed with response. And love it. BPLrs are way cooler in real life than their online personas

Good on you for putting one together.

Waiting for someone in Washington and Oregon. I'd like to be a guest again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for the encouragement Ken. I hope you get the opportunity to be just a guest again.

Next year i will try to make it out to the CA GGG also if possible, as i have relatives in San Fran, as well as a good friend that lives there.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Can be found here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ECGGGV1

Let us know if you plan to attend

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Justin, it is the Paul C Wolfe shelter, maintained by the hiking club in Richmond, ODATC(which I am a member of) and by count, the shelter holds 10 people…without squeezing, much more with squeezing…and lots of tent space. I have been there when more than 20 or so have camped and stayed in the shelter. It's a popular site for scouts and just about everyone. Meet Up groups hike there as well. Parking at the run down buildings area has been fine so far that I know of. It's a gentle downhill hike in, with water along the way, too.

I might be there as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A big thank you to MG!

Hi Donna, thank you for the detailed info. Did you go to that Hiking club's "halloween" meet up at the shelter? If so, you met my wife and i.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Registrar's update:

So far we have 7 Confirmed attendees and 2 Maybe's

Hope to see more folks there.

Here is the registration site:

Jenny Simchock
    Spectator

@framelessbob

Locale: R.D.U

Justin If you really want to make this gathering interesting, you should personally invite Tipi Walter. He of the " 100 pound pack"!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sure, but i don't really see him around here. I could search his name i suppose.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

He is on here occasionally, frequents Whiteblaze more often I think. Hikes around the Citico/Slickrock area.

Ryan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the heads up Ryan.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Registrar's update:

We have 8 confirmed attendees and 3 Maybe's

The event is less than 2 weeks away I'm excited.

Logistics:

Anyone planning on bringing a saw for us to make some firewood from downed trees?

Here is the registration site:

Brandon M
    Spectator

@s2bmay

Locale: DC

Unfortunately I won't be making it out tonight. Just stepped off a 13 hour flight, and about the only thing I'm going to manage today is sleeping. I appreciate the effort it took to organize this Justin and MG, and I hope I can make it out to the next one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

More than understandable Brandon.

Btw, Becky and i enjoyed the meetup. It was a small crew, but great conversations. Was nice to meet you Jim, Mark, and Martin.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Any more details? Pictures? We couldn't get away that weekend either.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Alex,

As far as i'm aware, none of us took any pictures. Details, some of that got lost in the haze of wine and some kind of blueberry'esqe flavored and i think everclear enhanced drink. Ah.. i do remember sticking my arm into the fire! I was wearing my kevlar sleeves and was showing the advantages of same.

Basically i remember a good fire and good conversations. There was a boy scout troop which had commandeered the shelter. Becky and i, and another person cowboy camped, and two folks used their tents. One was a tarp tent (don't remember the model), don't remember the other tent.

There wasn't that much focus on gear, which in a way, i appreciated. Sure there was some gear talk, but it wasn't a major focus. Oddly, most of us are former northerners.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

I took 3 photos with an iphone 5 on the way in and out of the site along the AT.

The site was very nice in a deep narrow valley. Lovely setting.

Company was excellent we chatted deep into tne night. Our scavenging and sawing of down logs paid off handsomely eventhough it may not have seemed like it early when some of us were hanging out at the boy scout fire.

It's a small start to what can hopefully turn into a nice mid-Atlantic gathering.ATView

Mark Heiser

@74kilos

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I had a lot of fun on this trip, great first outing of the season.

Justin The two tents were actually both Tarptent Moments. Mine being the double walled, Jim's being the original single walled version.

Alas, I think the only cuben we saw was in stuff sack form, haha.

I do remember Martin suggesting a Dolly Sods trip at some point in the future, which I would absolutely be up for.

At any rate, it was great meeting everyone, hope to see you all again on the trail!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools