Topic

Black Dyed Catalyst

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedDec 22, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Just finished dying my pack, thanks to Ken Thompson's instructions here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=30922

Here's the re-cap:

2 gallons boiled water, 1 gallon hot water, 1 bottle black RIT dye.
Mixed everything into a 5 gallon bucket. Submerged pack, stirred, put a rock on top to keep it down. I didn't bother wrapping the bucket or using a lid. Removed/shifted/stirred the pack every ~10 minutes for a little under an hour. Rinsed with a garden hose inside and out until it ran clear, then ran it through my top-loading washer on cold for a 2 rinse cycle with a little detergent. Dried it on low (no heat) for a few minutes, both inside and out. Done. Best $3 I've spent on gear in a while…like many, I've never liked the ULA green dyneema. I know they offer custom colors now, but everything is in cordura (though I likely will be buying a CDT in multi cam soon).

1

Thanks Ken!!

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedDec 22, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Looks sharp Craig. Glad the instructions worked out for you. I just did a SMD Starlite a few weeks ago. Bye, bye blue

Brian Mix BPL Member
PostedDec 22, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I have an Absaroka and while i love the pack I don't love the orange color. Any way to selectively dye the orange sections without affecting the other color areas? Or should I just dye the whole pack the same color?

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 23, 2013 at 12:05 am

Curious about the logo. Was the logo not effected because the thread did not absorb the dye?

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedDec 23, 2013 at 5:02 am

Yes. The SMD pack I just did the logo dyed as well. It works out well for ULA. Keeps advertising.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedDec 23, 2013 at 5:05 am

Pretty sure that you are stuck with the orange. You might find some dye that works on silnylon, but I don't think so.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedDec 23, 2013 at 8:45 am

Nice one Craig, as a previous Catalyst owner it looks so much better.

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedDec 23, 2013 at 10:01 am

Right. The poly thread doesnt absorb on these dye jobs. I like the looks of it. Nice work Craig.

Ryan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...