Topic

Psolar face mask

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Psolar face mask

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Any experience with this type of product ?
    "body warming face mask"
    http://www.psolar.com/

Franco

James Schipper
    BPL Member

@monospot

There are several reviews on BackpackGearTest.org including one by BPL staffer Carol Crooker. I don't have any personal experience but thought it looked interesting.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thanks James. I never thought of looking there ! (Under accessories….)
    Franco

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use my Psolar warmer for sleeping in bitter weather. It prevents my nose from getting too cold and actually keeps me from getting as thirsty as I normally would without it at below zero temps.

Eric
    P.S. One caveat when using ANY face mask. You need to wash them in soap and water almost daily to get out the bacteria that build up in use. Or dipping them in boiling water would do as long as it doesn't hurt the materials. This would be faster than washing and rinsing and is what I most often do. Drying is accomplished by quickly shaking the water out by twirling it over your head & then putting it an inside parka pocket.

Fail to clean them and you risk getting a mild sore throat. Don't ask how I know.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Franco – It works exactly as advertised. Hiking, skiing, hanging in camp or sleeping. It saves water and heat so is definitely UL. Think of all the energy you have to use up to heat the cold air that you breathe in 24 hours.

Wade Henrichs
    BPL Member

@wadehenrichs

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Al is right. Some physiologists estimate that up to 30% of heat loss is from respiration. (See 2nd paragraph under "Physiology" at http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/TOPIC279.HTM.)

The Himalayan Rescue Association (an organization I once worked for) seems to recommend devices like this to prevent "Khumbu cough" and such devices seem to be more common among high altitude climbers and trekkers. (I wasn't aware of them when in the Himalayas in '87)
    (http://www.basecampmd.com/expguide/khumbucough.shtml)

I just acquired a Psolar EX face mask (39 gms or 1 3/8 oz size large/XL). It is surprisingly easy to breath through. It is too warm at sea level here in Bellingham right now to really test. Hope to get up in the Cascades to give it a try soon.

Had I seen this product first I might have gotten it instead or might try it against the psolar. A little more expensive and strange looking but half the weight at 20 gms. http://www.humanedgetech.com/shop/product.php?productid=177&cat=17&page=1

I have read that these devices work better as it gets colder and at increased altitude. 20-39 gms to stay/sleep warmer, loose less body water, and have less condensation around your bag/quilt/shelter seems too good to be true.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I used an old wool shirt to sew a 3 x 3 inch pouch that I put some sort of synthetic insulation in. It cost ~$1. I use it at night when it's really cold and it makes a big difference in keeping me warm. Wool does have some anti-bacterial properties and I've never had any obvious problem despite using it 3 days straight. I've never used it during the day.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

There was an article in TGO a month or so ago dealing with face masks. The author found that the disposable dust mask type worked as well as the purpose made one. Try a cheap one out and see what you think. I couldn't sleep with it on my face. Kept thinking about drowning.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools