Topic

JMT section hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT section hike

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Josephine D
    Spectator

@jphiee

Thank you both for the reply. I realize i added my comment to a JMT Section hike thread, and that was bc i felt i related to Donna and her feelings of wanting to thru-hike the JMT solo but I actually want to do the entire JMT not a section of it, but think it best for me to bring a buddy since i want to end with a summit up Mt. Whitney. I know its highly ambitious to do it solo (although not impossible, of course!) even if I have a solid workout/prep plan in place. So, I am still prepping as if i do not have a friend to bring and will consider a shorter section hike if it makes more sense.

If anyone has any other input or insights to share as it relates to hiking the JMT  – whether you were solo or not, please do share. Thank you!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Definitely take a buddy if you can talk someone into it but my $.02 is don’t miss the trip if you can’t find a buddy because you will make them on the way!

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Josephine – if you are comfortable backpacking solo in other parts of the country, then I doubt you’d find going solo on the JMT a challenge. The JMT is more of a social experience than any other longer trail I’ve been on in the mountain West. During our two week trip a few years back, we could have camped with or near people every single night without trying to (and we did most nights anyway). And we saw people at least every 30 minutes while on the JMT proper. As for potential challenges (weather, navigation, transportation, bears, remoteness, etc) the Sierras seemed more forgiving than many other mountain areas if you have basic skills, a little experience and practice good camping technique.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

One thing…and others may disagree…If you hike north to south, I honestly would forgo the whole Happy Isles to Tuolumne section. It has plenty of highlights!! (and crowds). But it starts you off bang with a ton of elevation gain over not that many miles. By starting at Tuolumne, you ease into the whole JMT because the first several days aren’t terribly difficult and allow you to get your legs going. OR, as an alternative, stash your first section’s food at Tuolumne and then go to Happy Isles and carry only two days worth of food.

Or, do that section at the end of your hike.

I’ve hiked in that area lots and I like it just fine. But I’ve met many people who’ve bailed out of the JMT after reaching Tuolumne from Happy Isles. It was harder than they expected,especially because of carrying a pack with a ton of food.

The JMT is a long hike that gets higher as it goes south. It makes sense to acclimate at Tuolumne and then over the next several days by hiking easier/lower elevation miles (after donohue pass)–and not starting with a full pack at Happy Isles and getting nackered early.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

1000% agree^

YMMV but I did not enjoy the JMT until we were a couple of miles south of Tuolomne Meadows along Lyell River (Creek?). I didn’t enjoy a minute of Yosemite Valley, LYV, the climb up to Sunrise, spending the night at the TM campground…

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

I honestly would forgo the whole Happy Isles to Tuolumne section.

Or, better yet, do a very scenic and much less crowded parallel option that starts at Glacier Point and ends at Tuolumne going past Merced Lake and Vogelsang High Sierra Camp. Once you get beyond the JMT cutoff, the LYV trail is very scenic, lightly used (by comparison to the JMT) and has vertical granite walls and some fantastic swimming holes. You reach 10,000+ ft elevation at Vogelsang, so you may want to car camp in Tuolumne the day before your begin.

While you’re at it, make the permits even easier to get by exiting Yosemite via Koip Pass instead of Donahue Pass. By the time you reach this 12,000+ ft pass, you will have had 3 or 4 days to acclimatize. It’s also a very scenic pass with great views of the Mono lake area below.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Lester’s alternative is a good one. And there’s yet one more. follow the Merced Lake trail to a mile and a half below Merced Lake where a cut off trail takes you up a different drainage to Sunrise camp. It’s actually little used and is pretty scenic–but I think Lester’s idea is more scenic, if also more peopled.

By the way, Lester’s route makes for a spectacular early spring trip, although I’ve always started early in the morning out of Happy Isles. The whole hike into Merced Lake is often on granite, so it melts off a lot earlier than people might imagine. Snow in the wooded sections is always highly compacted–no postholing. The same is true for the entire climb  up towards Babcock/Emeric lake out of Lake Merced–absolutely no avalanche danger, and the snow is always compacted. I’ve done this early season for many years and rarely see people–never when day hiking up to Babcock, which for me is the highlight. And for a treat, returning via the high route is great, but can require some navigation skills in snow. Not too many, since I can do it! The high route begins at the same junction as the trail to Sunrise off the Merced lake trail.

There is one potentially risky short section on the north facing switchbacks going up from the three bridges over the Merced river. It may be worth carrying micro spikes for this, and later if you go in snow up towards Babcock.

Needless to say there is a ton of cascading water coming off cliffs the whole way on this hike. Seeing it without the crowds is a revelation.

so don’t tell anyone! Again, this is a fabulous early season shake down trip that is always one of the highlights of my hiking year–with very few people past LYValley.

Josephine D
    Spectator

@jphiee

This is all some really great advice, thank you all so much! I day-hiked up to Nevada Falls last December and then do a 3 day/2 night up to Little Yosemite Valley/Half Dome in late September so I am definitely going to consider starting somewhere other than Happy Isles since I’ve done that trail up and could do without it to start the JMT hike. I am waiting to receive the JMT pocket Atlas but once i do ill be able to better mapping out my route. Im also considered going NoBo so i dont miss the chance to hike because of permits, thinking i can spend an extra day acclimating at Mt Whitney, but not entirely sure yet. Just a consideration. I will add to this thread – or start my own – to get any additional input and critiques from the group as i continue planning.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Suggest you check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/LadiesOfTheJMT/  for answers to some of your concerns.

My first JMT thru was with a woman who contacted me out of the blue asking if she could join me. More on that story here:  Trail Journals

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools