Topic

Beer while backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Beer while backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Check out it beer that you can take backpacking. A little heavy, a little awkward but hey, it's beer on the trail! If you have tasted it let me know.

http://www.patsbcb.com/

I know nothing abou the company and I am not endorsing the product, I just thought that it was an interestign development.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is a thread about it from 2010.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yeah, but does it actually taste like beer?

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

On short hikes that I don't mind a little extra weight… nothing beats the real thing!

beer

I have often wondered about those dehydrated beers though… maybe he could send me some for a "review." :)

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

ROFL!

This is going in my archive of "Things (or threads) that might make regular backpackers think we are crazy". It is by no means anywhere near the top of the list in extremeness, but still…

scree ride

@scree

Wouldn't dehydrated beer actually be whiskey?
    http://www.charbay.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=WHISKR5A7

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

And, as traditional as glass bottles are for craft beers, I'm glad to see some microbreweries go to aluminum cans. Also, Anchor Steam does a plastic bottle that looks quite a bit like glass but is far, far lighter.

I haven't seen a good beer in a 12- or 16-bottle aluminum bottle, but they have screw-tops and can multi-purpose as water bottles and cook pots.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

> I haven't seen a good beer in a 12- or 16-bottle aluminum…

Have you tried the Peter's Beer in the big 16 cans from Trader Joe's? In my book it's at the top of the compromise curve for cost vs. quality. I think Bitburger can also be had in 16 cans and it's a quality German pilsner.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I checked them out over a year ago at OR and have been waiting for them to come out with the beer. I will try it eventually since they can ship the concentrate to my state and at a 1:10 ratio it will save you some weight depending on the weight of the gear. And at $3 a pint, that is reasonable if the shipping doesnt kill you.

My local brewer carries a 64oz mylar/plastic growler for use on the river. Those or cans are the way to go if you are backpacking with it and cans are superior to glass in some ways.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools