Topic

Tarptent Notch real world weights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Notch real world weights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

Ok, TT lists the weight as 26 oz. what are people's real world numbers with them? Pre or post seam sealing would be helpful too.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I dunno about the Notch but my similar (oiginal) TT Moment was only 1.5 oz. heaveier than advertised.

My TT Contrail was 0.5 oz. lighter

My TT Scarp 2 was almost 2 oz. heavier

So they are coming in very close to the advertised weight.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have an incredibly long and boring video on three of the TT solo shelters here :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIt1Oezq2GQ
    about 2 minutes in I weigh a brand new packed up Notch at 26.3 oz.
    That includes 4x stakes,instructions and stuff sack.
    I do a Notch with about 20g of silicone.
    The weight can vary one ounce or two from one production run to the next.

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

After my seam sealing– probably a little too heavy– my Notch weighs 27.2 oz, including the stakes. And I measured it on an old analogue scale.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

2012 Version, seam sealed with silicone swatches on the floor.

Tarp: 15.6oz
    Full mesh inner: 9.6oz

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I have a couple of weights recorded:

As delivered 28.3 (4 pegs, cord, stuff sacks, partial solid inner and fly)

Seam sealed fly with additional (peak) tie-outs – 16.5 oz
    Partial Solid inner with silicone strips painted on floor – 11.0 oz
    4 Easton stakes in TT stuff sack – 1.2 oz
    Easton poles – 1.9 oz per pole

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

As delivered my Notch weighed in at 25.8 oz.

I added:
    – Seam sealing and stripes on the floor
    – 2 Trekking pole adapters (allows poles to be used handles up)
    – 2 triptease peak guyouts
    – 4 Ruta Locura 9" carbon stakes and 2 ti shepherds hook stakes w/stake bag

Everything in the supplied stuff sack was right at 29 oz

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

Thanks for the responses. Mine just came and it seems to be on the heavier side. 29 for tent/mesh inner and stakes, not seam sealed. 29.7 with stuff sack. Seems to be over everyone elses. Not sure if it's worth the trouble to try to exchange it for a lighter one.

Am I being too anal about this?

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

I don't know, I think it would be worth asking if Henry could weigh a few and if he has one closer to the stated 26oz, do an exchange.

Patrick B
    Spectator

@pberg

Throwing this out as another data point for posterity's sake: My Notch with the included stuff sacks, four Easton stakes, and a partially-solid interior (all seam-sealed by Henry) weighs 870g/30.7oz. According to Henry, the Notch base weight is 770g/27oz, so it looks like the partially-solid interior and seam sealing adds 100g/3oz or 13% to the base weight.

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

edited

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I always thought the weight specs were without pegs. I weighed mine right before my last trip it was 26 ounces including apex guy lines and stuff sack. Unless I've hiked in the area before I always use groundhogs which of course weigh extra.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"29 for tent/mesh inner and stakes, not seam sealed. 29.7 with stuff sack." Mine that I bought earlier this summer is similar to that. For something like a tent, with lots of variables in the making of it, I don't guess I'm surprised by a 2+ ounce variation. I'm not much of a gram weenie, though.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Seth, Before I bought mine I emailed Henry for weight confirmation because I find different weights stated in two different places on the TarpTent web site. Here is what he wrote back: "29 (ounces) with stakes, guy lines, and stuffs sack." That's what mine came in at when I received it and before seam sealing. Part of the reason the weight stated varies in the responses you are getting may be due to different fabric runs in different years/times of production of the fabric by the supplier Henry uses. Another difference can be how much and/or what kind of seam sealer is used… or if people are weight with added guy lines beyond what came with the Notch. billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

"Ok, TT lists the weight as 26 oz. what are people's real world numbers with them? Pre or post seam sealing would be helpful too." Weight of Notch. The spec sheet says 27 oz http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html but toward the end of one video is says 29 oz. Like I said in previous post, I confronted Henry with this and he emailed back that it weights 29 oz with stakes. And that's what mine weighed. billy

David Ure

@familyguy

Amazing that for under 30 oz, you have a double walled, solo shelter with enough room for tall folk that also has dual doors and dual vestibules.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Actually, mine weighs 34 oz after seam sealing and adding guy lines and zipper pull cords and better stakes than were supplied. billy

David Ure

@familyguy

How much seam sealer did you use? Mine is sub 30 with 4 pegs and the upper apex guylines. Quick set up too. 2 minutes max.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Yes, yes Dave… you and your 2 minute set up… max… Sorry, we just don't believe you… But you know that already don't you… How much seam sealer. No idea… I used what it took. I but you did you seam sealer in about 30 seconds, eh? :) billy

David Ure

@familyguy

LOL. No, the Seam Sealing took about 30 minutes. I still can't beat Franco in set up time so there is that.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Am I being too anal about this?" No. Just anal enough, this is BPL.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

My August 2015 Notch was 28 ounces before I removed it from the bag, seam sealed by TarpTent.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Ah, thought of one of other weight variation… the inner… people are not stating if they have the all netting inner or the partial solid. I have the partial solid… I think that is 1 oz more. billy

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Mine's 29.4 oz. That includes seam sealed, two extra guy lines, two stuff sacks (for tent and pegs), 4 Easton stakes and the semi solid inner tent.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools