Topic

winter tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) winter tents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Brian Reyman
    BPL Member

@breyman

Locale: Rocky Mountains

As others have mentioned, choice of tent (or hammock or tarp) will largely depend on more specific condition expectations. Camping in a well protected area is much different than on an exposed area with more severe winds, larger amounts of snow, etc. While I would (and have) camped with a tarp (or just cowboy style) on a calm, protected night near a car, I've also been in situations where doing something like that would have been very, very dangerous.

Roger Caffin's article When Things Go Wrong article gives conditions where a true 4-season tent is needed. Granted, not all conditions are like that, but if I'm in an area/situation where it's even a possibility, I'll be bringing something more than a tarp or hammock.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/when_things_go_wrong.html#.UoxGS5TuV28

There have been many good suggestions so far – I'll toss out my favorite for when I really need more serious protection. Hilleberg. Their quality and materials are outstanding. They have a fairly wide line for various situations (weight, snow loading, size, etc.). I personally have a Jannu as my solo "harsh conditions" winter tent and I very much like it.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Has anyone had experience with the MSR Dragon Tail?

It's a single wall "tunnel" design mountaineering tent.

I've read reports of condensation issues, but that's true of most single wall tents, correct?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

That little Snow peak tent just may be the ticket, except for storing the pack (guess outside wrapped in a large garbage bag?) and everything else. I have the BA Sarvis 1+ in eVent fabric (legal where I live) and its barely big enough to live out of in the cold. A small vestibule only gives you so much. Tried to tie a tarp on it but it doesn't really work out. Still liking that SP at 2.75 lbs tho.. may be time to reconfigure the zero degree (F) kit.

Jim Jessop
    BPL Member

@stokeyjim

For 3lbs a Stephensons Warmlite, either 2R, 3R or the shortened climbers models make great winter tents.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> For 3lbs a Stephensons Warmlite, either 2R, 3R or the shortened climbers models make
    > great winter tents.

They may have been good once, but the one I was sent for review in the recent tunnel tent series has been falling to pieces in the field. The already inadequate sewing seems to have been done with cotton, and the cotton thread seems to have perished. It started disintegrating on a snow trip, which was kinda unfortunate.

Cheers

Jim Jessop
    BPL Member

@stokeyjim

That's unfortunate.

I have two, only 3-4 years old, not the prettiest finish in the world cosmetically but perfectly functional, holding up fine. Great robust, light, storm-worthy and simple tents.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools