Topic

Kat's Mountain Lion Photos (Trail Camera Photography)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Kat's Mountain Lion Photos (Trail Camera Photography)

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 472 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Doug won’t be up till 11 so we can get away with it a bit longer.

I have only had these cameras up and running for a week so I am not reviewing them, just posting a cool capture.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

whewww…  You’re in the clear then…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

On Saturday I cut some trees that fell on this trail behind the barn. On Monday after work I put on my sexy rain bibs ( ticks and string trimming quite a bit of poison oak) and cleaned it up enough so no waving grasses trigger the camera. Then two hours later..

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The new camera looks like it is much better quality video than the others.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I suspect he knew exactly where you were the whole time.

Troy Malish
    Spectator

@slidinghills

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Kat-

I have been following your thread from the start and I am always excited to see your new posts. Always the best!

A year and a half ago, I borrowed a camera from my work and set it up on the rural property where I live knowing that a mountain lion had been spending time nearby. After nearly two months of checking the camera every day or two without any success photographing the lion (I did photograph grizzly and black bears, elk, mule and white-tailed deer, skunks, coyotes, stray cats, and wild turkeys) I decided it was time to return the camera to my employer. Low and behold, the night before removing the camera the lion made a brief appearance!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Troy very cool! That looks like a bulkier cat than the ones we have, besides the winter coat. These cats keep surprising me how they pick their trails. That was a long wait but I am glad you got your shot.

@Ben
    . I was making a lot of noise so yes, I bet he knew where I was long before he walked past the camera. Once I check a couple other cameras  I will know better at what time he came down the hill.

@Nick
    this last one was with a camera I have had for a while.mYesterday I posted from the new one. Vimeo compresses them a lot and the resulting footage from the two cameras is different. The new camera has impressed me so far but the sound is a bit off.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This is from a couple of years ago, but I was finally able to find it again and upload it to Vimeo with audio. Shows how wild cats play with their food. I have hours of the feeding and some gets pretty gruesome , this one is not that bad.

Wishing I had one of the better cameras on that.

The flash you see is another camera with the IR so it’s detected by this camera but it’s not a white flash.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Cute little family here

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

very cute!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It’s as if you live in a wildlife zoo :-) Wonder why it is you are so blessed to be able to be so close to nature. You’d think the area would be void of small game like fox with lion sharing the same territory.

amazing!!! thank you for sharing your talents.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Doug
    @ Dan thanks!

This area really is rich in wildlife . My somewhat educated guess is that it’s because humans are not actively “managing” it, taking out prey or predators. There’s plenty of both.

Three mountain lions here…same spot as that cute little fawn.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

My favorite trail camera spot by far. Right now it’s all about foxes…a couple different families. This is a little collage of several clips over the last 2 months. I left out over 99% of what happens up here.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

cute!

But what are you hiding in the other 99% : )

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

From this morning. Same spot

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

They all have a full belly :)

From Monday  at 2:30 pm. Date is wrong on the camera..

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

They are tiny!

Can’t wait to get them on video :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

OMG they’re so tiny! We want closeups! :-)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Wow, those are really cool.  Can’t wait to see more.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Doug @Ben

I hope to get more too. They really are small little guys !

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I got 95 pictures of the kittens and a few videos of all 3. Full moon there, that spot with ocean view :)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

One of the videos….The camera makes an awful sound, only audible to us. The kittens and mama make some wonderful sounds :) in the background you can even hear a fix screaming, probably warning their own family that the big cats are around. The flashes are IR, so to them a slight red glow, not like they appear to us through the trailcam. If they were white flashes they would produce color pictures and video.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Kat,

Your posts are by far my favorite on this site.  You have a fabulous collection of videos and photos.  You should be getting sponsored by the camera manufacturers.  Your videos make me want to get a camera and see what’s moving in the Pa hills.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the nice words “Malto” :), they mean a lot to me.

It seems like a very long time ago that  we met, snowshoeing up that hill. I hope to hike with you again some day.

Looking for more pics, but you took this one of me, with Jack a little further back :)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This young male has been coming around for the last three months or so. The mother with the 3 little cubs headed further into the mountain, most likely taking them around her territory. Might be months before they come around again.

Now that I avoid Chaff I have more time to post this kind of stuff :)

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 472 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools