Topic

Zimmerbuilt pockets on a HMG Porter The Rat Pack

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedNov 1, 2013 at 4:58 pm

No pictures or anything yet, only a couple of weights.

Zimmerbuilt regular water pockets. 1 ounce x 2

Custom water bottle pockets. 1.5 ounces x 2
http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/hmg-porter-stuff-pocket.html
While they are very nice pockets and will come in very useful, I still can't reach them. They're more like a side pocket. I'm glad I got the regular ones as well.

Hip belt pockets. 1.1 ounce x 2
Slightly customized to fit my Porter belt.
The black Dyneema X matches well with the belt and shoulder straps.

My second time dealing with Chris, my first time making an order. We had a lot of e-mail communication and any changes really didn't affect price. The goods were shipped within a couple of days, any delay was due to the extra planning for the belt pocket.
The pockets are well made and if there are any flaws, I can't see them. They are easy to put on, easy to remove and very secure when fastened. They change the whole nature of the pack and not that I really care, they look darn good. I guess I do care a little. They look really darn good.
More later. I mostly wanted to record the weights before I forgot.

PostedNov 1, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Let's see some pictures when you get them.

PostedNov 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Still no pictures.
To get a bit off subject, and I may do a separate thread on this, Checking the inside of my Porter, I noticed the tape on the back vertical seams was starting to peel and now there is dirt stuck to the tape. It's mainly at the top corner of the backpad, right where the compression strap is joined. Bummer I only bought it in May and so far have only done a few day trips.
So, do I just cut it out and put cuben tape back over it or is there more to it. I have contacted HMG but I'd just as soon fix it as send it in.
I'd sort of like to understand how it happened though. I don't carry a lot of stuff so it's usually rolled down to that point, perhaps putting stress on the tape? I purposely don't roll it tight so I don't put stress along the top of the pad.
I did have a little bit of moisture on the inside last trip from my gear, but judging from the dirt on the tape, it had already happened.

PostedNov 2, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Are these side pockets with zippers that strap to your pack?

I have that setup on two of my packs. They are REI aftermarket side pockets with 2 vertical compartments. Love 'em for keeping stuff I need in a hurry or don't want in my main pack, like my TP potty kit, Steripen, fuel, toilet kit, 1st aid kit, etc.

Plus my side pockets add a total of 800 cu. in. of space which I sometimes need in for space for food in the main pack body.

Derrick Whit.e BPL Member
PostedNov 3, 2013 at 11:25 am

Scree,

I have the Porter 4400 and noticed the same thing when washing my pack after returning from a 12 day trip. The adhesive residue left where the tape peeled back now collects dirt. It has only peeled back a couple of millimeters so I don't consider it a serious problem. It certainly would not create a leakage point or anything. I suppose if and when the tape completely peels back the worse consequence would be having to completely remove it and clean away the adhesive residue and reapply new tape. Or, as a preemptive measure, you could seam seal around the edges of the tape now. That should prevent further peeling.

On yet another topic, I was incredibly impressed with my pack on the last trip. I carried 60 plus pounds of gear, actually close to 70 on the first day. It not only carried very comfortably and kept its shape, there was absolutely no sign of material or stitching fatigue at the end of the trip. My companion carried the same pack with similar weight, and his pack performed the same.

While HMG can be guilty of sloppy stitching and the like, which does bug the heck out of me, where it really counts the pack performs like no other I have owned. Being able to carry 60 lbs for 10 days in a 2 lb pack without any concern of gear failure is a new backpacking milestone for me. Previously I had to use much heavier packs to get that robustness.

I should note that I seam sealed all the outside seams of this pack when I got it new. While the inside cuben tape keeps the water out of the pack, it doesn't keep it out of the seams. I regularly hike in very rainy daytime conditions, which turn to freezing temperatures at night. If the inside of the seams is dry there is no risk of expansion pressure from water freezing or threads being weakened from constantly being waterlogged.

Derrick

PostedNov 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Thanks Derrick. I got a little excited at first then I realized that it was just tape. I probably should have seam sealed it from the beginning and it may have held better.
Perhaps I can just clean it up and seal it. I see ZPacks sells tape. Maybe HMG will feel bad and send me some. ha.
I feel the same way about the Porter. They could be stitched a little better, but overall it's not bad. It really doesn't matter a whole bunch, though if Zimmer made the same bag, I would buy it from him.
It's as comfortable for carrying weight as my old 8 pound Gregory. By using pockets, it can be used like a smaller pack with the Porter bag itself kind of tucked away behind the pockets.
Anyway, charging the camera.

PostedNov 3, 2013 at 4:06 pm

1

pp2
The compression strap can go over or under the pocket.

pp5
Still have to be a contortionist to reach these.

pp3
Double loop and peg attachment. Chris sent me some bungees for an alternate means of attachment. The pegs were the same weight as the bungees. Button holes were done in each to run an air hose out of (Geigerrig pressurized bladder)The other for possibly headphones.(City use)

pp4
I'm not sure of the point of this adjustment strap, but by lowering the clip on the pocket I was able to use it for another attachment point. No extra charge.
I have a removable belt on the pack. I'm trying to come up with a design for a back pocket to use with the belt and pockets alone to create a lumber pack. It could serve as a city pack or for taking short trips from base camp. Alternatively I could add a light pair of removable shoulder straps.
The Zimmer pockets come off really easy so they may stay home when not needed. The back Porter Stuff Pocket is a it of a bear and will probably just stay on. The hydration bag is sitting in a postal tyvek mailing envelope behind the Porter pocket.

PostedNov 6, 2013 at 7:32 am

Mike from HMG quickly returned my e-mail with an offer to retape the seams that needed it. Alternatively he would send me some tape. I opted just for the tape. This time I'll seal over it. Nobody has control over adhesives. It doesn't change my opinion of the pack. Good pack and good service.
I think seam sealing will help. Also storing the pack open to let any moisture escape.

Chris at Zimmerbuilt wasn't too keen on my idea for building a rear lumber pocket. Realizing that I was the novice and he was the expert, we came up with a compromise where I get exactly what I wanted just with a better design. Several e-mals. I'm just glad he doesn't charge for e-mails.

What we came up with was a half pack version of his ZB2 Long that I could use with my Porter belt.. Around 500 c.i. Somewhere in the middle between this,

zb2
and this
half
Lumber pack with shoulder straps.
It will be sized to fit all my pockets. I should even be able to use the Porter pocket, though the top connection may be a little funky. The bottom 4 clips will fit well anyway. I just wish it had the speed clips.
I should be able to actually replace the Porter pocket with this pack on the back of my Porter and use it for double duty as a base camp day pack.
Anyways, it will be interesting see how his half pack light turns out.
Made of black XPac it will go well with the Black Dyneema pockets.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...