Topic

Questions to which the search function revealed no answers

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I have some questions that i couldn't find answers via the search.

1. Bought a NB Fugu jacket for ze wife. It apparently has a silicone coating on the fibers ala epic style. I want to treat the down in the nikwax DWR solution i have. I doubt it, but figure i should ask anyways, will the Nikwax DWR soak negatively affect the silicone DWR coating at all?

Had another question, but forgot. Tbc. Thank you for any and all help.

PostedOct 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Ah, just remembered.

Recently bought some cheap wool/nylon blend gloves as liners. They are 70% unspecified wool and 30% nylon. Knew they would be kind of scratchy, but wasn't prepared for the full extent.

I immediately thought of using some hair conditioner to soften them up, but i suspect that this might screw with the moisture managing properties some. Would such conditioner make it hold/attract water even more?

Yay or nay on hair conditioner to slightly soften up some really scratchy mostly wool gloves?

PostedOct 28, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Wow, I actually might know the answer to your second question.

Wool is a protein filament, which is a waste product from the follicle. The purpose of shampoo is to get rid of dirt and sanitize a fiber, but it'll also wipe away good oils, which you don't want.

Conditioner, however, replenishes natural oils and fills in the gaps in the protein filament, strengthening and softening the wool. Conditioner should be just fine and won't impede the qualities of the wool; it'll actually enhance it.

Good luck!

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Hi Justin

Nikwax is a wax DWR. Silicone probably means fluorosilicone?

The two are TOTALLY incompatible! They wreck each other.

Cheers

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 7:02 pm

You can add lanolin back to wool, there are products you can buy for that.

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I had a super itchy (it tormented my skin) wool flannel shirt that I used hair conditioner on. It didn't seem to help at all.

PostedOct 28, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Maybe there's significant differences between sheared wool and "live" hair. I'm no expert.

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Well, it may have helped a little but the wool was so brutal on my skin that I didn't notice.
Maybe with slightly itchy wool it would work.

PostedOct 28, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Thank you for the replies everyone. Left a little more puzzled than i began though..

I will at least avoid soaking the jacket in the nikwax.

PostedOct 28, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I use "For Cashmere Only" soap on all my cashmere and wool stuff, it is found on ebay. Softens everything very nicely and does not strip the hairs of their natural oils. The seller is kjmcfarland.

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 10:21 am

Thank you for the tip D.D., will definitely check that soap out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...