Topic

SMD Lunar Duo – Explorer vs.TT StratoSpire 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SMD Lunar Duo – Explorer vs.TT StratoSpire 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

SMD Lunar Duo Explorer vs.TT StratoSpire 2

Which would you pick as the your choice for a two person shelter? Any other better options? Trying to determine which is a more convenient design, easily adjustable, easy setup and has more usable space.

TIA

KJ

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Do you want a single wall or a double wall shelter? Kind of an apples and oranges comparison.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Either would be fine. I have plenty of experience with both. My focus is more on space, ease of use, and weight.

HTH

KJ

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

If you don't use trekking poles, I'd recommend the TarpTent Double Rainbow. It's a very well designed tent and is a breeze to set up.

When people compare the Double Rainbow and the SMD Lunar Duo (as they are wont to do), they usually focus on the fact that the Lunar Duo has more interior space (which is most certainly true), but the flipside of this is that the Double Rainbow has a smaller footprint and a much lower profile (especially when setup on clear nights without the vestibules stakes out– something that's hard to do with the Lunar Duo). This smaller profile can be really handy if you are camping in heavily wooded areas.

To see the difference in size between the two tents, check out this excellent comparison here:
    http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/

I own the Double Rainbow and really like it, but the Lunar Duo seems to be an excellent tent as well. Hard to go wrong with any of the tents you are considering…

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

It isn't the lightest option out there, and I can't compare it to the TT as I don't own one, but I really like my Lunar Duo, especially for the space it offers. I went to the LD to get more space when I backpack with my daughter, and space it has. We can (and have) both sat up right in it playing checkers waiting out a rainstorm. It is palatial inside, easy to pitch and well built. For two people who may have to wait out a storm in a tent I've never been big fan of narrow peaks, thus the LD suits me well for 2 person trips with someone who expects the comforts of what appears to be a large, traditional tent.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

It's huge in there. I'm 6'3" and rarely make that statement.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

I'm 6'3" and looking at two man tents , so that's good to hear. Even the heavier and much cheaper version is lighter than most conventional two man tends.

scree ride

@scree

TT has a better return policy and will run a few more dollars. The SS2 has more versatility. It just didn't fit my style. I'd rather have a simple tarp and a simple tent. I ended up with a LD and haven't regretted it. As noted it does have a large foot print. Roomy for 2 people. For a single person looking for more space, it's a lot of space. Hard to beat the headroom though.
    Search the forum a few months back and you will find complaints about 6 Moons return policy. You can judge the validity for yourself. I think buyer's remorse is handled thru exchange only. It is a very nice, well constructed tent. You just have to make sure you it's what you really want. I have no reason to return mine.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

SMD return policy. I remember that thread. Much about nothing. We never did hear how it turned out. but here is SMD return policy straight from the website

We are confident you will pleased with your Six Moon Designs equipment. However, if for some reason your purchase from Six Moon Designs does not meet your needs, you may return any unused items within 30 days for a full refund (less shipping charges).

Please thoroughly inspect your item. We do a thorough check, but sometime things slip through. So make sure you check it out. Load up your pack with all your gear and take it for a walk. Setup your tent before you hit the field. You may need to several attempts to learn the best technique to achieve the perfect pitch.

What Can Not Be Returned
    Packs or tents that have been used in the field.
    Stakes that have been used to setup the tent on trial runs. So use an alternate set of stakes for setting up your tent until you happy.
    Tents that have not been seam sealed by us. So please setup your tent and check it out before you attempt too seam seal it.
    Gear where a custom modification has been requested
    Items sold as either Discontinued or Scratch & Dent. So before ordering these items make sure you really want them.
    Products purchased from retail establishments. Please return your item to the place of purchase.
    When returning an items please do the following:

Include a copy of your Sales Receipt in the package. This way we can properly credit you.
    Contact us for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number.
    Thoroughly check your item to remove any personal items.
    Refunds will be issued within 2 weeks of receipt of goods.
    Warranty info here…

Our products are fully warranted to the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship. If our product fails due to a manufacturing defect, we will repair the product, without charge, or replace it, at our discretion.

What's Not Covered
    This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, improper care, negligence, normal wear and tear, or the natural breakdown of colors and materials over extended time and use.

Damage such as from rips and tears in the materials is not covered under the warranty and are considered normal wear and tear.

Shipping Charges
    You are responsible for paying for postage for all products returned for Warranty Coverage. If the item is covered under Warranty, we'll absorb the return shipping cost. However, if there is a requirement to return the item faster than our normal shipping times, any additional charges will be billed.

Should you need to return the product for warranty or repair, contact us for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. We will inspect the gear to determine if defective. At which time we will either repair or replace free of charge. Service or repair of items not covered under warranty will be done at nominal charge.

Buy one from a retailer and you might score free shipping.

scree ride

@scree

Thanks Ken for clarifying that.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

My partner and I just picked up a Stratospire 2 this fall. We've only used it on short 1-2 night trips, but we're pretty in love with the design. We got by sharing a 1-person tent for a long while, but we just added a dog and will be adding a kid this winter, so decided it was finally time to upgrade to a little more space. "A little more space" is an understatement–the SS2 is palatial. Since it's dry and bug-free where we are right now, we've mostly been bringing just the fly plus a groundcloth, leaving the net at home. (I've used a Lunar Solo for years, and going back to the flexibility of a double wall is sooo nice.) The design gives ample headroom for both users; lots of space to move around. With both doors open, it feels very airy, not at all claustrophobic, and has great views. The only trade-off, as mentioned previously, is that the footprint is huge and finding tent sites may be tricky depending on your location (but I've always felt the same way about my Lunar Solo!). Also, the build quality on Henry Shires' products is fantastic. Very clean and professional looking piece of kit.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

SS2 huge footprint.
    Yes it is rather large.
    It does have a bit more floor room than some as well as two large vestibules.
    If you use the apex guylines (and you should…) the vestibules are not any longer an important part of the shelter integrity, in other words the SS 2 stands-up happy enough without them.
    So you can have both vestibules in use, just one with the other hanging loose or none at all.
    With a couple of strategically placed stake hoops your SS2 could look like this :
    SS2 slim 1
    SS2 slim 3

ugly and not as wind worthy but much slimmer…

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Thank you Franco and everyone else for your help thus far. I really wasn't thinking so much about footprint size required. Seems like the SMD Lunar Duo would be easier to accommodate in tighter camps, but now that you show me this Franco…I'm back to considering both.

KJ

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools