Topic

BPL has Ads now ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Global Financial Crisis

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I understand that there are the costs of hosting, and developing, maintaining, editing and posting as well as the accounting costs … and of course Ryan's kids to be fed … but I thought that was why I paid a membership fee. Are there too few annual members for this to amount to anything?

Unfortunately I would think this could exacerbate the "free-rider" problem by eroding the benefits of an annual membership, which to be honest are somewhat marginal. I pay because I want to contribute to the well being and continued existence of the site … but if my presence via ad-impressions is contributing to that financial well-being anyway the "forum membership" looks more attractive from my perspective.

(BTW, The BIG ad down the right side margin … the one that follows you onto every page … is particularly glaring and painful on the eye… fortunately it presently provides a link for curing migraines. Nice.)

screen

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

There is a global financial crisis?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I understand that there are the costs of hosting, and developing, maintaining, editing and posting as well as the accounting costs … and of course Ryan's kids to be fed … but I thought that was why I paid a membership fee. Are there too few annual members for this to amount to anything?

Unfortunately I would think this could exacerbate the "free-rider" problem by eroding the benefits of an annual membership, which to be honest are somewhat marginal. I pay because I want to contribute to the well being and continued existence of the site … but if my presence via ad-impressions is contributing to that financial well-being anyway ….

BPL isn't a large website and it doesn't have a large membership base. We are fringe lunatics.

I hope we don't turn this into a debate of non-paying vs. paying. Free access has its benefits to driving traffic. There just needs to be an incentive for free members to upgrade their membership. This seems to be problematic; what is the value to purchase a membership.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Sorry Nick. I was honestly trying to choose my words carefully so as not to turn it into a flame.

I do really appreciate this community but I feel like the valuation of the "annual member" versus the "forum member" versus the "lurker" is already … errr …. murky.

This does not seem like a progressive step in that regard.

(PS: For all the "ad-blocker" folks, I thought those types of blocking add-ons depressed the # of impressions and would injure the overall ad revenue. No?)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Unless something has changed recently, there is no completely free membership anymore. To post here, i had to pay 5 dollars. When i decided i wanted to just go ahead and get a year membership, i asked about getting that 5 dollars subtracted from the yearly membership cost. Just got silence, and i'm sure a few yearly and lifer members got a chuckle out of the attempt.

As a yearly member, i'm not too keen on the adds, but then again neither do i have strong feelings against them, especially not IF they are necessary to the maintenance of the site. Since i know barely anything about Ryan Jordan, BPL past, etc, etc i cannot comment on any of that.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"There is a global financial crisis?"

In my field, it is generic flow control.

–B.G.–

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Halleluja for AdBlockers…i haven't seen an ad on WWW for many years

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Scored a $65 deck for $14. Ads done well are okay.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Great! If it is what it takes to keep BPL afloat I am all for it. Of course I run AdBlock so non of the adverts bother me. Go for it!

BPL, BPL ra,ra,ra!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Ha, ha, ha, you beat me to it Ken

maybe Gaelic Football Club?

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

>Family of local businessman found starving and living in a van down by the river>

>BPL to start running ads for non-life members>

>Unnamed Montana man buys millions of shares of ad-blocking software company>

:)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I usually lurk here without logging in, so I get to see the ads. What has been here this afternoon (10/23) are no problem at all–quite innocuous. Just avoid the blinking/moving kind, please!

Dean L, loved your post!!! :-)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

They're pretty obnoxious, but so are Matthew Perry posts and I don't have to click on them either.

Steve G

@sgrobben

Locale: Ohio

Many years from now BPL will be seen as the lead innovator in the "pay for ads" business model.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Only available for Mac now but hopefully a Windows version soon.

We bundled Aviator with Disconnect to remove ads and tracking
    Aviator is always in private mode

https://blog.whitehatsec.com/introducing-whitehat-aviator-a-safer-web-browser/

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I joined up for a yearly membership again a few months ago after a good article or two in the few preceding months but I have been let down by the articles for the last few months and now with the ads I really don't feel like renewing come next year. I guess I should sell off the last few things I might have on the Gear Swap and just let it run out.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I just completed my personal life priority list. There are 82,743 things in my life that are more important and more pressing than whether or not BPL has advertising.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Nick was responding to this thread one of them? 82,742 to go.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

“If a person never contradicts himself, it must be that he says nothing.”
    ― Miguel de Unamuno

Awkward …

(Bottom of page 1 on linked thread)

:)

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Google is a colossus and can do what they want. Here's an article from BI on it.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/google-testing-banner-ads-in-violation-of-promise-not-to-2013-10

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Good stalker post on my almost 4 year comment, Christopher. But I stand by it. It is not a contradiction nor is it awkward. I said I don't like pesky banner ads. I also provided feedback on what I feel would be enhancements to BPL.

I also don't care for TV, magazine, and newspaper ads. I don't care for movie trailers at the theatre or on DVDs I purchase. But they are there and I ignore them and move on. I don't care for pesky flying insects or ants, but they are in they wilderness. They don't cause me to stay home or buy an enclosed shelter. I don't complain about them — I just accept they are there.

People whinning about these ads need to get over it and move on. Get back to living you life, there are more important things in life to worry about.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

LOL. :)

I was hoping you would appreciate that. It took some real effort to find!!!

… and I hope it is obvious in was meant in jest and not in disrespect. (I actually had a lot of fun reading through your old posts, Nick. It is funny how old topics become new again, and again, and again.)

Cheers

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"People whinning about these ads need to get over it and move on. Get back to living you life, there are more important things in life to worry about."

+1

Yet, clearly, most would rather focus on this than the real problems out there, since this only entails complaining. Other problems may actually require doing something.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

maybe it should be "if a person never contradicts himself, it must be that he has said zero or one things"

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools