Topic

New Material. Feedback Wanted.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
Lawson Kline BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I was not trying to offend anyone.

While I greatly appreciate all the feedback, I have been very surprised by all the replies. Its mind blowing to see how consumed people are about such a small amount of weight on such a big item. Only 3oz for a two person shelter. And its not like the weight doesn't come with added benefits. IT DOES. It's the result of making a MUCH better product.

This is where I have the disconnect. Its the reason I often wonder if people on BPL actually use their gear outside because some things I read are completely insane. I don't know. Maybe I just don't GET IT.

PostedOct 22, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Wow.

I thought most of the comments were on a positive track and I think many of the really good responses were more about questioning the actual value added of your new material in consideration of the additional weight and not just on the gross weight alone.

You say emphatically your material is better.

As with anything the proof will be in the pudding, and the burden of that proof will be yours … as the innovator.

PostedOct 22, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Personally, i don't see anything wrong with your proposed material except it being a little on the heavy side.

But i refer you to an earlier point by Andrew F., "For an 8×10 foot tarp, the material weight is about 6.3 oz for 0.7 cuben, 12.4 oz for silnylon, and 15.5 oz for your fabric."

In and of itself, about a lb for the tarp of that size isn't too bad, but adding all the other stuff up like Samuel said, that weight could start to get significant.

What i personally would be interested in your fabric for, is as a ground sheet. Something more durable and waterproof than reg silnylon, and probably less slippery. Polycryo is nice for the weight, but i really don't like throw away stuff.

For shelters, i really like the 1 oz cuben stuff, despite it being expensive.

How much would you sell a 2yd x 1yd piece for?

Regards,
Arm chair Expert extraordinaire

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I don't think you've offended anyone.

I've got a couple silnylon pyramids I've used for several years. Maybe 200 nights. Lots of wind and rain. They work. If they didn't sag so much, it wouldn't make a big difference. There's occasionally some minor misting, but when I put my hand on stuff inside I don't detect any wetness so this isn't a problem that needs fixing.

If I have to re-do a pyramid for some reason, maybe I'll do it in Cuben and save 6 ounces, be more sag resistant, and be more waterproof. Combine that with a couple other changes and I can reduce my base weight by a pound or two which starts being noticeable although not really that big a deal.

Your fabric just doesn't fit into my plans, except maybe for a bivy floor.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedOct 23, 2013 at 2:56 am

Hi Lawson

I understand … mostly. :-)

> I have been testing this next to silnylon for quite some time now. There is
> no questions asked if this is a better material, because IT IS…
Have you done a Maytag test on it? A bit of fabric, maybe 600 mm square (I am sure there is a proper size), and run it through a heavy wash cycle 20 times. Yes, this is actually part of some Standard for measuring hydrostatic pressure ratings of fabrics.

I'm interested … albeit busy with stoves right now.

Cheers

PostedOct 31, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Lawson,

I would be very interested in this material for a rope tarp to lay my rope on when belaying (to protect the rope from dirt). I use silnylon now, but unfortunately its just not durable enough. I'll be following the thread. If the washing machine test that Roger has mentioned is favorable, I'd love to order some.

-Greg

PostedOct 31, 2013 at 8:52 pm

My humble 2 cents. I could also use a few sqm for my myog single wall tunnel tent. Sure lighter would be nice but it sounds like it would be at the very least a great fabric for a bath tub floor. I do not use a ground sheet so more durability would be welcome. I hope you will pursue your R&D.
Cheers
Pierre

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
Loading...